Author Topic: Striker Ice Suit Review  (Read 8417 times)

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
Striker Ice Suit Review
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:36 AM »
I have read a bunch of forum posts here regarding Striker Ice Suits and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I got lucky and purchased my suit on Black Friday at Gander Mountain and got an incredible deal at 50% off. This suit is the Lake Effect suit which from what I have learned is very similar to their Hardwater suit except for some very minor differences. Now I am no rookie at buying gear..lol. Not only do I ice fish but I also duck hunt, fly fish, grouse hunt etc, etc. so I have purchased a lot of gear. I believe that staying warm, dry and comfortable is the most important key to enjoying the outdoors so I don't mind spending the money for good stuff. With that said, I believe that my Striker Suit is the single best purchase I have made for outdoor clothing! The fit of the suit is exceptional, a bit bulky but what can I expect from a suit that is supposed to keep me warm, dry and float me if I drift away on an ice chunk..lol. The Lake Effect suit has snap closures versus the magnetic closures and I find that they are easily snapped with 1 hand. Unlike a lot of other "technical" gear, I find the zipper secures easily and I have zero problems zipping it all the way up without catching on the material of the coat, unlike my wading coat which takes effort to maneuver all of the material out of the way to zip up completely. Being that I am 5'9" and slim, I have a difficult time finding bibs that fit both my inseam and my slim build. Usually if they fit my inseam they are to big around the waist or vice versa, however the adjustable inseam on my Striker bibs allowed me to adjust them to fit me perfectly. Both the coat and bibs have pockets galore, and these are not designer pockets but useful pockets in all the right places.

I cannot over emphasize enough how warm this suit actually is! It truly is like a furnace! That fact alone is going to greatly influence my fishing style. Previously I mostly used a flip over shelter which really reduced my mobility. I find that once I get set up with my shelter I get lazy where as I typically like to move a lot to stay on the bite. Now with my Striker suit, I am greatly considering abandoning my shelter to be lighter and more mobile. Finally, I would like to mention the usefulness of the full leg zippers. With other bibs, I typically have had to sit while removing my bibs over my boots yet they would still catch right at the end of the leg. With my Striker bibs I can actually stand and very easily remove my bibs.

As a final disclaimer, I have NEVER raved about a manufacturer like this EVER! So I fully and completely recommend that if your considering a new ice suit, buy a Striker!

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Striker Ice Suit Review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:45 AM »
 ;D X2  ;D I have the predators and removed the liner last year as they are plenty warm without it. Do a lot more hole hopping now that I can stay warm, dry and comfy without the shack.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:54 AM »
I like the looks of the Striker Suit, and like the fact that it vents to keep you from Overheating, but I am puzzled as to why it is not USCG approved....The New Frabil Suit is, and I think the AA stuff is also.  I have no preference for any product, just looking for the safest item I can find for my wife to use.  We fish in Indiana, and ice is not always easy to judge, and I feel we really need that extra safety factor.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:00 AM »
A manufacturer has to pay to have a product tested and possibly approved by the USCG.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I agree with you, my Striker suit is one of the best ice fishing investments I've ever made, it rates up there with my flasher and gas auger.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:48 AM »
The AA is not USCG approved

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Lots of R&D went into the Striker Ice line up ...I have two sets the Predator and the Climate . When I first saw the Striker line up I  was intrigued ..then found a deal and I was sold . This past summer took the plunge off a floating dock ...was impressed . 

I haven't seen/heard of any reviews of Clams line up of float suit...just curious as to how they will stand up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:19 PM »
GCD will be here soon to tell you how wrong you are.  ;D

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:25 PM »
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they aren't CG approved because that requires no loss of buoyancy over a longer period of time. My thinking is that if I fall through I'm not worried about bouyancy after 30 minutes... I tested out my striker lite bibs in a friends pool when I got them and they float very well but definitely not as well as a mustang suit (which is horribly uncomfortable). Love my bibs and will replace them with predators when they wear out.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Agreed. Had my predator suit for three seasons now and the other suits don't hold a candle
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:40 PM »
beatlejuice

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:47 PM »
He can troll me all he wants...but I'm not biting!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:53 PM »
beatlejuice

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they aren't CG approved because that requires no loss of buoyancy over a longer period of time. My thinking is that if I fall through I'm not worried about bouyancy after 30 minutes... I tested out my striker lite bibs in a friends pool when I got them and they float very well but definitely not as well as a mustang suit (which is horribly uncomfortable). Love my bibs and will replace them with predators when they wear out.

Ill just drill an auger hole in one of your legs next time we are on the ice together, then your wish comes true.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:43 PM »
beatlejuice!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Ill just drill an auger hole in one of your legs next time we are on the ice together, then your wish comes true.

With the number of holes you like to drill (especially when I'm catching and you aren't...) I'm surprised i haven't fallen through the ice yet!

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Attention Kmart shoppers
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:36 PM »
i got the predator this christmas and love it so far..but ..for me..it does not replace the comfort of sitting in the hut..plus its so much easier to see my flahser

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:39 PM »
I want to say the USCG approval was something like $10,000.  I can't find the email from them anymore though, but I asked at one time.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:11 PM »

I'd bet on it, that guy just doesn't give up.  He's been going for two years and still hasn't stopped, I wonder how much Arctic Armor pays him for all his bashing.  If they pay him by the post he has to be a millionaire by now. 

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Bought the hardwater jacket and predator bibs. Have not been disappointed. Now if I could keep my hands dry, warm with some dexterity I would be in heaven..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.