Author Topic: Finally!!  (Read 2741 times)

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
Finally!!
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Ling are pretty uncommon here in NW Montana, but we have one pond fairly close that is known to have a few in it.  I made it my winter goal to get one on the ice, and finally (after 8 trips) got it done.  Nothing big like some of you are catching, but at least I finally "broke the ice".  My catch was only 17", but one of the old guys that frequently fishes the pond showed me pics of a 30" fish he caught this year.  The pond is only 8ac w/ a max depth of 40', but it seems to have pretty good fish numbers.  FWP stocks it w/ fingerling rainbows and some brood stock.  Other than that, it's got a lot of crawdads, small suckers, and a few bull heads, so I'm sure the bigger ling have plenty to chow on.
Just wanted to stop by and say "thanks" for all the good info on this board.  Sorry to see a slump in activity on the Eelpout section..hopefully it picks up around here so I can learn more about my new obsession.   ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Finally!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Did you catch it overnight or just a day trip?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Overnight.  Started at about 8pm and caught it at 1am.  Stayed till 3am and didn't get another bite.   ???

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:18 AM »
Now that spawning season is upon us, they should be biting hard as soon as the sun sets.   ;)  Especially if you're jigging some bait.  Good luck and eventually you'll tangle with a big one.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Thanks Bob.  Got a group together and we're heading out this evening for another whack at em..

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:11 AM »

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2011, 01:21 AM »
That biggun is pretty nice how much did he weigh?

I feel bad you only caught 1 in 8 trips but they are a very neat fish.

Come on down to Flaming Gorge Wyoming for vacation sometime, we catch 50-100 a night!!!

Dayyymnnnn...that's a lot of ling in one night.  I watched the video about the FWP wanting them caught out of FG. Wish I had the money to come down and help out.
I don't have a good scale, so I didn't bother weighing it.  Went about 27".  They must feed heavily on crayfish, as everyone I've caught has been stuffed w/ them.  This guy had 4 in his gut, along w/ a couple treble hooks.  Funny thing is I haven't got a bite when I've tried using crayfish for bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.