Author Topic: Gas Auger convert to Drill?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline ice_capades

• IceShanty Rookie
Gas Auger convert to Drill?
« on: Oct 28, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have a 25-year-old Eskimo Gas Auger 8".   It has a 3 HP engine.   At the end of last year the engine starting having issues blowing oil/gas out of the exhaust.   Then the motor stopped running altogether.   

My question is has anyone ever removed the engine and used an adapter to connect to a Cordless Drill?   Or are the shafts to big on the Gas Augers?   

Is it worth it modify to make it work with a drill?   On a typical day I may drill 15-20 holes.   

Thanks

Chris

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Re: Gas Auger convert to Drill?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I’m not sure about this one.  I’m not aware of anyone trying to do this.  You would have to find (or fabricate) an adapter to insert into the drill as well as the auger bit.  If those are chipper blades, a drill might have a hard time turning that bit.

If you already have the drill and are looking to save money, I’d just try to get a cheaper hand auger (Mora, Nero, Laser, etc....) and adapter, it would probably be a lot lighter and probably drill better too.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Gas auger bits are heavy and if its a chipper it will overwork a drill.

Offline ice_capades

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.    The auger does have chipper blades on it and it is heavy-duty.   I do have a hand auger I think it is a mora it is blue.   I will try it instead or I will try to find a new engine for my gas auger. 

Thanks again.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.    The auger does have chipper blades on it and it is heavy-duty.   I do have a hand auger I think it is a mora it is blue.   I will try it instead or I will try to find a new engine for my gas auger. 

Thanks again.
the mora will work great.my drill turns a 8” mora no problems and can get tons of holes drilled with a 9ah battery.

Offline ice_capades

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Thanks!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2019, 12:45 PM »
I have my gas auger on my electric hand drill.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2019, 02:57 PM »
Just go slow with the auger on a drill, until you get the hang of how your auger behaves. Some may skip a bit when you start too fast on glare ice. Some might catch the bottom of the ice when you break through. But one you get the hang of it, you’ll never want to use a gas auger again. Just get the height extension, and I highly recommend a clam plate for a 8” auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.