Author Topic: Ice Spikes for Boots  (Read 2688 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Spikes for Boots
« on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:18 AM »
My Kahtoola spikes dry rotted over the summer. The reddish material had broke in several places on both boots. Rendering them useless for upcoming season. After several days of searching I came across " Ice Spikes ". Seemed like sound thought to me so ordered the Installation kit. Over the years ( more than I care to admit ) almost all of the strap on cleats have failed in one way or another.

Especially important to me this year . As last year took a nasty flip and opened a gash in my head that required 14 surgical staples to close. i was in a hurry that morning and grabbed the wrong pair of boots for that day. Late season all snow gone ice like polished glass. My 50+ years of experience should have warned me. But the knowledge of a hot bite and a rapid close of the ice season. Spurred me to throw caution to the wind.

Going to install on both pair of my ice boots. So whichever pair I grab it will be safe to fish those conditions. Anyone else try these ?
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Spikes for Boots
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I haven't used those but I did use sheet metal screws once. They work great but don't forget to change your shoes before you walk into the house or the Mrs will kill you.  :o experience!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Don't know if it will work on the Kahtoolas, but I used a heavy bungee cord to replace the rubber on a different type of cleats. So far so good, maybe you can salvage the Kahtoolas.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I have used these with very good results.  Have not lost one in over 4 years of use.  http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvstuds.html

I know, it sez ATV studs, but they work in my my ice boots just as well.  The boots are dedicated to wearing on ice and snow.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:11 AM »
go to amazon and buy the kold kutter ice racing screws in 3/8 inch. they are tempered and very sharp and designed for ice and grip and WAY more comfortable then the kahtoola and nothing to have pulled from your boot or need to remove for your shack.
you get 250 screws for about 20$ and you install about 30 per boot. pay attention to the heels and toes. that's what catches your step and pushes it.
try to get them in the arch area too for when stepping on mounds of ice so there are no bare spots the best you can. you may loose a few over the season and you can glue/silicon them in first or later when you replace a few. if you wear them on cement they will wear down some, but are still very nice to have on ice all of the time and you can run in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474294293&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=kold+kutter+ice+racing+screws

i wore my kahtoola only for a partial season. i hated them and went with the screws right away and haven't looked back.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:17 PM »
Yak Trax XTR work great for me. Easy to get on and off.
jbird68

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:28 PM »
I think I'm working on 6-7 years on my micros spikes , I do take them off when done fishing , I also have a bud that uses screws and he's happy with them guess its preference
Hays47 a bud had a pair of micros  and 1 of his let go and he called them and it was replaced might be worth a contact

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Korker TundraJacks are marked way down in a lot of sizes on Amazon.  They have carbides built in and more aggressive ice soles can be bought. I bought size 13s for $85 to my door last week. I think 12s are like $70 right now.  Normally $230.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2016, 02:01 PM »
I use the racing ice screws also - love them!
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:37 PM »
I bought a pair of the HT Super Sandals three years ago and like them the best out of all the cleats I've used.  Basically they're the sole of a boot with replaceable screws that strap onto your boots with Velcro straps.  The nice things about them is the screws are all over the bottom so there's no more sore feet at the end of the day, they are pretty decently priced (between $20 and $30 depending on where you get them), and the straps are heavy duty.  The one thing I did with mine is I put a drop of removable Lok-Tight on the threads of the screws so they don't come loose.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:18 PM »
I wore the ht super sandals with white Mickey boots almost every day last winter. The plus was they never get loose or slip. The negative is they limit all dexterity in the arch of your boot. By the end of the winter I was having pain in my legs. I took them off and felt an immediate difference. I will be screwing 3/8 drywall skewed into my boots after reading countless posts on I.s.!

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2016, 12:59 AM »
i spent the extra money and got the yak trax......best ive ever owned

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I wore the ht super sandals with white Mickey boots almost every day last winter. The plus was they never get loose or slip. The negative is they limit all dexterity in the arch of your boot. By the end of the winter I was having pain in my legs. I took them off and felt an immediate difference. I will be screwing 3/8 drywall skewed into my boots after reading countless posts on I.s.!

Nothing wrong with that just be careful walking on tile floors with it.  My friend's cousin walked into a convenient store with his boots with the screws in them and ended up taking some flying lessons.  On the bright side we got a great laugh out it.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:02 AM »
I still like my kahtoolas, I wonder if they would replace them for you, its not like those are cheap.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I also use 3/8 Kold Kutters. They work fine but will come out especially if you kick open holes with your boots. I find it is better to install with a 4 way screwdriver or similar. You can use a portable drill but if you don't have a super sensitive clutch it is easy to over turn them. I just check them before each use and install new ones as needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.