Author Topic: Shappell FX 50 Wind Break  (Read 2271 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Shappell FX 50 Wind Break
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Anyone have one of these? I am thinking about getting one for my short trips by myself. What I would like to know is: Can you put anything inside it while traveling? All I would want to put inside is my Rod Bag which will hold my jigs/Lures and bait also. I would then put my auger on top with some protection from tearing the tarp.

<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Shappell FX 50 Wind Break
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:06 AM »
why not get the flip for another 10 pounds? like the fx100 i have (its not water proof). these use the same tub and i stow tons of thing in mine. 4 bucket easy, auger, 3 legged chair, soft side bags, coffee, flasher and more. you can use the fx100 just like the wind breaker and it comes closer to the ice when its lock in the up position than the wind breaker for more wind protection. i wouldn't fool around, just get the fx100

heres the specs on the windbreaker. its just a sled with half of the flip over tent and half of the thickness fabric. if the bench doesn't slide make new (J) arms that are 10 " longer like i did and conduit clamps for it to slide on the bottom of the bench
http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

#FX50 Windbreak

Instant Flip Up to Windbreak
Full Width Bench Seat
High Visibility Reflectors
300D Polyester Fabric
Sled Base:     44"L x 32"W x 10"H
Size: Set Up: 32"W x 50"D x 59"H
Travel:  32"W x 44"L x 16"H
Weight:  27 lbs.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#FX100

Solid One Piece Instant Flip Frames
Extra Wide Front Frame for more Fishable Area
Wide Body Sled Base
Full Width Padded Bench
Front Zipper Door
High Visibility Reflectors
Heavy Duty 600D Polyester Fabric
Sled Base:     44"L x 32"W x 10"H
Size: Set Up: 44"W x 85"D x 59"H
Travel:  44"W x 44"L x 18"H
Weight:  37 lbs.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:12 AM »
it looks cool but i would not get it-----get a fishtrap or frabil recon--as far as shappell goes the s2000 is the best foldaway shelter ever built--it is a great 1 man or 2 man----best icefishing money i ever spent---get a s2000---then drill small holes in it so u can drill anchors into the ice on windy days

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:19 AM »
it looks cool but i would not get it-----get a fishtrap or frabil recon--as far as shappell goes the s2000 is the best foldaway shelter ever built--it is a great 1 man or 2 man----best icefishing money i ever spent---get a s2000---then drill small holes in it so u can drill anchors into the ice on windy days

i had the "S" series and got rid of it for the "DX" series. much better. "S" means standard series and "DX" means deluxe series
so i own the dx300 with holes i drilled in each corner for ice anchors. the 3000 series is for 3 people, but 2 is plenty and with 1 you could sleep in it, maybe 2 if its the wife. problem with suit case shanties is moving them. what a pita they are, so mine stays home 99% of the time

i own the fx100 also and op wants to know if anyone has experience with that tub that comes with it and its the same tub as the fx100

i agree the shappell suit case shanties are nice! the dx version has i higher roof so you can stand up in it and an arch to help keep snow falling off from it

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Mostly wanted to know about storage. I don't need the flip over and the cost is over $160 difference. Just want something light to run and gun. I like the FX 50 because I can set up another rod a ways from me and keep an eye on it without looking through a window. As for an anchor I would just put one in the center and an eye bolt on the sled and bungee together. If you get all that in your FX100 I should be able to get the little bit of stuff I need  in the FX50. Sportsmansguide has it for only $125+ and I have a coupon for $10 off.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:14 PM »
nice!
yup, keep the shorter things under the bench. maybe make it into a slider to get things out from under it easier and to set you back into it more so your out of the winds more too. being its almost 3 x 4 feet, you can guesstimate it on the floor with the tub specs. the auger will hang over it either way, but i hang mine over and out on the bench end with the drill on the inside. for anchor on mine, i drill a hole with the auger leaning into the wind and leave it 1/3 of the way in the water and toss the tub rope over it and onto the ice. i make lots of holes to start with, but if i need more, i lay the tent all of the way down first

for rod holders, i cut slits in the top of the flat top of the tub where you sit just behind and set berkly rod holders down into them
and i found some berkly rod holders for shore that have a long run on the wire, so i bent it about 3" up at about 45 degree angle and stick it down inside the bench conduit bar in front of the bolt thats in it

also, since its the same sled, you could always buy the tent for the fx100 and make you own poles if you decide you want more coverage. you would only have to add two more poles and a longer flat stock for them to mount on to. i would give those specs if you want them some time

10543       FX100 Replacement Fabric Tent                $ 99.00
http://www.shappell.com/fx100pp.html

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Yea I didn't even think about the auger being able to over hang in either direction. I think I will buy one this week sometime. When the wife goes I always take the Shappell Widehouse 6500 and the heater. I have ice fished most of the time up until the last 3 years with nothing but my clothing. So just a little wind break would be great for just me.
<===Lefty===

Offline RMLamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I use a FX 50 wind break.  It hauls all my gear including my flasher, bucket, gear bag and auger, which I transport with the power head separated till I'm ready to start drilling, should I feel the need to hit another area I rest the entire auger across the bench and tub front.  The down side is with the wind break up the bench is a bit cramped (or I'm too wide), I usually end up dropping or knocking whatever I've put besides me on the bench into the tub.

The only modification I've done is attaching a 1 inch wide, looped strap to the tow rope allowing me to loop the strap diagnally across my shoulder and waist for pulling the sled.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am going to buy one soon.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.