The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Stingray 33 and laying it on the side  (Read 1515 times)

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Stingray 33 and laying it on the side
« on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:22 AM »
OK, so long story short, I made an auger mount on the sled which holds my stingray 33 auger on its side....   but every time I use it it makes it very hard to start between holes?  Any thoughts?  Does it really matter which side it lays on?   I have the mount designed so that the auger sits with one of the handles resting down.  Also, anyone have gas leak from the gas cap?  It leaked half a tank overnight sitting in the back of my SUV and it was dripping from the gas cap...   very annoying. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Eskimo Stingray 33 and laying it on the side
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Yes. Carb side up. That's a vented gas cap......if it's the metal threaded vent one, close it before transporting.
My Stingray has never leaked in 10 years. I do the above.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Yes. Carb side up. That's a vented gas cap......if it's the metal threaded vent one, close it before transporting.
My Stingray has never leaked in 10 years. I do the above.

It's made of plastic, no threaded vent.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Carb/plug up.. It shouldnt leak out of the cap, my m43 doesnt. From what I have seen the stingray is really sensitive to how you set it down, my buddy had one and had the same issue, he never did figure out the best way to set it down... would take 8-10 pulls to start it even if he just set it on the ice and then picked it back up a half hour later. My mako 43 is one pull no matter what, with any gas and any oil I use. He moved on to a drill because he was sick of pulling on the 33.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2021, 02:32 PM »
It's made of plastic, no threaded vent.

They're all plastic. Earler ones had a center steel threaded vent; Viper models and Stingrays. Did not know the year of yours....my caps look like this....direct from Ardisam. Threaded vent.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2021, 03:43 PM »
They're all plastic. Earler ones had a center steel threaded vent; Viper models and Stingrays. Did not know the year of yours....my caps look like this....direct from Ardisam. Threaded vent.

Its only 2 yrs old...   gas cap is like this:

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Carb/plug up.. It shouldnt leak out of the cap, my m43 doesnt. From what I have seen the stingray is really sensitive to how you set it down, my buddy had one and had the same issue, he never did figure out the best way to set it down... would take 8-10 pulls to start it even if he just set it on the ice and then picked it back up a half hour later. My mako 43 is one pull no matter what, with any gas and any oil I use. He moved on to a drill because he was sick of pulling on the 33.

I had laid it cap side sitting down, not sure why I did that,  didn't leak the other way around. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:56 PM »
I had laid it cap side sitting down, not sure why I did that,  didn't leak the other way around.

I have always set my m43 down with the cap facing the ground, it should only be a 1 way "valve" (air in, no gas out) Never had a leak that I can remember. I store it upright in the garage with the cap cracked, otherwise it sounds like a semi letting out the breaks with all the air coming out of the tank when I open the cap after a few temperature changes. My cap looks the same as yours, bought probably 5-6 years ago.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2021, 04:36 PM »
I have always set my m43 down with the cap facing the ground, it should only be a 1 way "valve" (air in, no gas out) Never had a leak that I can remember. I store it upright in the garage with the cap cracked, otherwise it sounds like a semi letting out the breaks with all the air coming out of the tank when I open the cap after a few temperature changes. My cap looks the same as yours, bought probably 5-6 years ago.
I left it in the truck overnight and it was leaking in the morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.