The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: eskimo pistol replacement blades.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
eskimo pistol replacement blades.
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:43 AM »
talking the 8 inch pistol bit, i see eskimo online says the blades are for the 8 inch hand auger/pistol bit. Are these the same blades/bolt pattern as the ion 8 inch blades? the 10 inch ion seems to use eskimo quantum power auger blades.

Any idea as to why?

Also i seen a review on the cabelas ezy bit, made my ht, same as the woods bit also, the reviewer tried eskimo hand auger blades as the blades on the cabelas ezy bit didnt last long according to him. At cabelas.ca the ezy drill blades are $25 while the eskimo hand auger/pistol bit blades are $40. Both are made in china.

If all these flat style 8 inch shaver blades are the same, ion, pistol, ht, various hand augers, couldnt a guy buy the mora flat shaver blades and get made in sweeden blades?

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: eskimo pistol replacement blades.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2021, 05:59 PM »
All right a little additional info. I tried a good sharp set of eskimo power auger blades(quantum) on the eskimo pistol, cause i have plenty. Same hole pattern, but serrations and different shape.  Cuts but slow and no bite.

the sharpening guy i use thinks they have the same angle. I will double check this cause there is a drastic difference in performance.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Most 8in shaver blades are the same with the same hole patteren & angle of blade cut. It is an industry standard type of deal for the most part. Typically you are the best off buying the strikemaster mora style blades. Reason being is the steel used is far superior to the cheap steel used in a lot of other blades so the mora blades stay sharper longer. Then just resharpen the blades yourself or send them in to resharpen.

I have a 10in mora hand áuger with the offset handle. Just 2-3 years ago it was hard to find a set of 10in blades for it. So I tried a set of 10in Eskimo quantum blades. The hole patteren was a hair different. However with a little grinding of the bolt edges I was able to get the blades on. They were a more agressive cut then the standard mora shaver blades. They cut fine on the áuger, but took more torque to turn it and worked my drill harder. So they were not ideal. Since then a lot of 10in shave blades have come out. Clam, Ion, trophy strike......so finding a set of 10in shaver blades for the mora has become pretty easy.

If you want to make it easy on yourself.....just put a set of Strikemaster Mora blades on and it will work great and stay sharp for quite awhile. If your looking for a hybrid blade....take the set of quantum blades you just put on...but have the cut angles on it redone/resharpened to the hand áuger blade angles and it will cut fine.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:01 PM »
I did order a couple sets of strikemaster mora made in Sweden blades to try. All the flat 8 inch hand auger blades do look the same, prices are all over the map.

I have had no issues over the years with the eskimo quantum power auger blades over the years, used many sets and there made in china so obviously all Chinese blades aren't garbage, but i remember when strikemaster tried it.

I did ask the sharpening service i use if the blade angle is different, and he said no. I was there on the weekend to sharpen blades and he measured eskimo quantum and hand auger blades for me, both were 28 degrees. He said he cant see why the quantums wouldnt work on the pistol but i tried it and while they do cut they weren't aggressive at all and made very small chips. Now this wasnt a new factory set but a resharpened set, so i will try again with a new set here soon. Ive never had an issue with blades he sharpened for me so i suspect its something with the serrations and blade shape. Ive tried different sharpening services and this guy makes eskimo quantums drill like new i have timed them side by side. the other guys not so much.

Its funny you had the 10 inch ion blades which are serrated bite harder than the smooth hand auger blades. for me the 8 inch did the opposite. I will tack up a jig to lay the flight in and measure the mounting angle of the blade to compare the eskimo power auger to the pistol. maybe theres a difference there.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:04 PM »
I did order a couple sets of strikemaster mora made in Sweden blades to try. All the flat 8 inch hand auger blades do look the same, prices are all over the map.

I have had no issues over the years with the eskimo quantum power auger blades over the years, used many sets and there made in china so obviously all Chinese blades aren't garbage, but i remember when strikemaster tried it.

I did ask the sharpening service i use if the blade angle is different, and he said no. I was there on the weekend to sharpen blades and he measured eskimo quantum and hand auger blades for me, both were 28 degrees. He said he cant see why the quantums wouldnt work on the pistol but i tried it and while they do cut they weren't aggressive at all and made very small chips. Now this wasnt a new factory set but a resharpened set, so i will try again with a new set here soon. Ive never had an issue with blades he sharpened for me so i suspect its something with the serrations and blade shape. Ive tried different sharpening services and this guy makes eskimo quantums drill like new i have timed them side by side. the other guys not so much.

Odd. The Gatco ice áuger blade sharpener I got to sharpen mora blades doesn't put a 28* cut on it. I think it's a 22* for the big cut the the secondary edge is like 25*.....I'll have to look. I sharpened a couple sets this year and it has work awsome for sharpening the blades.
Its funny you had the 10 inch ion blades which are serrated bite harder than the smooth hand auger blades. for me the 8 inch did the opposite. I will tack up a jig to lay the flight in and measure the mounting angle of the blade to compare the eskimo power auger to the pistol. maybe theres a difference there.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:41 PM »
That sharpener looks interesting.

Nope this guy says he just sticks to the factory angle which is 28 degrees and he did measure that for me. Same angle on the eskimo quantum blades and the factory blades off my pistol bit. All 8 inch.

When the Swedish mora blades come I will measure the angle, along with the factory pistol blades, and a brand new set of quantum power auger blades. Then I'll try all 3 on the pistol bit with a stopwatch.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:45 PM »
That sharpener looks interesting.

Nope this guy says he just sticks to the factory angle which is 28 degrees and he did measure that for me. Same angle on the eskimo quantum blades and the factory blades off my pistol bit. All 8 inch.

When the Swedish mora blades come I will measure the angle, along with the factory pistol blades, and a brand new set of quantum power auger blades. Then I'll try all 3 on the pistol bit with a stopwatch.

Sharpener was $15.....I've sharpened 3 sets of blades this winter with it.....takes a bit of time but it does get them sharp AF.

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:06 AM »
8" Pistol bit takes the Eskimo RB-8 Replacement blades.  I couldn't find any locally when I needed a set so I bought a set of Mora blades. They worked great on my Pistol bit.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2021, 05:40 PM »
all right i did a bunch of testing with different blades on the pistol. I also measured the angles on the power auger blades and the hand auger blades and found them different. 25 to 26 degree for the hand auger blades and 28 for the power auger(quantum) blades. the back side was the same on new blades.

All holes were done with a Milwaukee fuel gen 3 in 30 inches of ice. average of 2 holes.
Strikemaster mora made in Sweden blades new- 14 seconds.
Eskimo hand auger blades, resharpened by the guy i currently use- 14 seconds.
Eskimo quantum new- 16 seconds. pulls good chips but maybe not as course as the hand auger blades.
eskimo quantum resharpened by the guy i currently use, 17.5 seconds, finer chips.
eskimo quantum resharpened by a different sharpening service i used to use, who did some grinding on the backside on the outside of the blade for the first inch- 32 seconds  very fine chips.

Now the funny thing is I swear the last set that was so slow came off my sharp pile, so i put them on an eskimo power auger and they drilled good. big chips. so the mounting angle has to be different between the power auger and pistol.

I also did some testing with the pistol in 29 inches of ice with 2 fuel drills. am old gen 1 and a newish gen 3. Used a 12 AH battery to get the most out of them. I did this to see when the cutouts would start. at that point it gets  worse and worse till the drill cools. I cleared chips more with the gen 1 as needed and it started cutting out on the 3ed hole and was quite bad on #5. The gen 3 needed alot less clearing of chips in fact some holes i didn't do it. It went 7 holes before the first cutout and was getting  quite bad by hole 11. Ive also played alot with a gen 2 fuel on it and its closer to the gen 1 cutout area than the gen 3.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.