The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Removing the chuck from a Ridgid Octane hammer drill  (Read 2533 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Removing the chuck from a Ridgid Octane hammer drill
« on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:45 PM »
I just got my new hammer drill from Direct tools from their Black Friday sale- the idea was to replace my Ridgid Gen5X drill, and have more torque. I was about to remove the chuck (my adapter threads on to the drill directly) when I noticed that the chuck has lights- In the CHUCK! They spin around while you drill.
I assume this means that there is an electrical connection, so I am hesitant to try removing the chuck until I hear that it is OK. Has anyone tried this?

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Re: Removing the chuck from a Ridgid Octane hammer drill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2020, 03:34 AM »
The lights are mounted on the drill behind the chuck.  They actually shine through the chuck.  ;)
Tight lines!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2020, 08:20 AM »
The lights are mounted on the drill behind the chuck.  They actually shine through the chuck.  ;)

Makes sense! I could not figure how to make a reliable rugged rotating connection.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:54 AM »
If you are referring to removing the adapter that was part of the first generation Clam drill plate and putting it on the new drill you will likely not be able to get it off your current/old drill. If the new drill is going on a Clam drill plate you would be better off just buying a whole new gen 2 plate so that you don't need to remove the chuck. to get this adapter off my first drill I had to have it milled off. the adapter for the gen 1 plates are no longer made and Clam is out of them for good.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:02 AM »
Not sure the arbor size of the Ridgid ..may want to verify that the older Milwaukee will fit (725 in/lbs model) but the new ones 2704 2703 2803 2804 will not as they were beefed up for the increased torque.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2020, 06:33 PM »
If you are referring to removing the adapter that was part of the first generation Clam drill plate and putting it on the new drill you will likely not be able to get it off your current/old drill. If the new drill is going on a Clam drill plate you would be better off just buying a whole new gen 2 plate so that you don't need to remove the chuck. to get this adapter off my first drill I had to have it milled off. the adapter for the gen 1 plates are no longer made and Clam is out of them for good.

My adapter has the same standard thread as the chuck. It is just a piece of aluminum bar stock milled to the diameter of the handle of a Strikemaster, with the same through hole as the stock handle. This bolts to the auger. The other end is threaded with the same threads as standard drill chuck. I believe all major half inch drills are the same, so you can buy aftermarket replacements. The only thing unique about the Octane chuck is the windows that let the light through.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:01 PM »
OK- so I started the season with the old Gen5X Ridgid and my old adapter, finally time to get serious about doing this thing. I was looking for a way to remove the chuck and make a solid connection to either a Pistol bit or just another hand auger conversion. I popped the chuck off the Octane, and it is a different arbor. I think it must be 9/16-18 thread like the big Milwaukees or the mud mixer.
That being the case, there is no commercially available adapter which has 9/16 threads to replace a drill chuck (is there?)

I think my best option is to go with a mud mixer quick loc chuck, and buy the auger adapter from Deep Freeze.

Does anyone have a better option?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:08 PM »
OK- so I started the season with the old Gen5X Ridgid and my old adapter, finally time to get serious about doing this thing. I was looking for a way to remove the chuck and make a solid connection to either a Pistol bit or just another hand auger conversion. I popped the chuck off the Octane, and it is a different arbor. I think it must be 9/16-18 thread like the big Milwaukees or the mud mixer.
That being the case, there is no commercially available adapter which has 9/16 threads to replace a drill chuck (is there?)

I think my best option is to go with a mud mixer quick loc chuck, and buy the auger adapter from Deep Freeze.

Does anyone have a better option?

I recall that some members got one on Ebay ...not certain for which drill(s)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:58 PM »
I actually have that one! I did not read far enough to know that he makes customs!
Thanks so much for your help! This is exactly what I wanted!

:tipup:

Good luck ... I am almost positive that an IS did just what your trying to accomplish ..with a Milwaukee Mud mixer I think ... some quick searching ..his may help

https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/42-66-0055-7-16in-hex-quick-lock-assembly-milwaukee

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=367952.msg3959395#msg3959395

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I remember that thread! That is how my current setup got started. I must need training on searching- I can never find threads back that I know are there. Right now I am looking for the one where someone weighed the Pistol bit, K-drill, and Lite Flite. I just sold a bunch of gear and am looking to get a bit to match up with my new drill. My goal is to up-size from 5 to 6 inch, without much increase in weight or size. I am going to call the Ebay adapter guy as soon as he is back in town, and want to choose a bit before I set him to work.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2021, 11:04 AM »
If you have to buy a new adapter, why not just buy a normal adapter and not have to remove the chuck? Just seems like an unnecessary step.. normal adapters work good for thousands of anglers, worked fine for me until I bought a clam plate.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:17 PM »
If you have to buy a new adapter, why not just buy a normal adapter and not have to remove the chuck? Just seems like an unnecessary step.. normal adapters work good for thousands of anglers, worked fine for me until I bought a clam plate.

I also have used the chuck style adapters, but I prefer the hard mount for 2 main reasons:

1. My chuck does not get all rusty- you can find examples on ice shanty where peoples chucks are so rusty after a while they can not get the bit out.

2. It never gets loose or falls out. I eliminate the frisbee part of the equation, and I don't worry that by drill will get left behind while transporting. I have it in a cradle on the back of my snowmobile.

I agree that the chuck kind is a lot more popular, I had a hard time finding even one source for this type. Guess I am just weird.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.