Author Topic: Ice rod protection  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Alumacraft

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice rod protection
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:54 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but I found a cheap way to protect my ice rods while in my travel bag. Go to Lowes, Home Depot electrical dept. they sell clear plastic tubes/ selves for fluorescent light bulbs. I bought the 48" ones, less than $2 ea. and cut them to the desired length. Most ice rods, unless they have very large guides will fit into the tube. I tape one end of the tube shut so the jig doesn't get tangled or snagged on anything in the bag. I also taped a rubberband on the open end and stretch it over the butt of the rod to hold the tube in place. Works for me, hope I was able to help someone else.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice rod protection
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Same idea, different product. I bought large size pool fun noodles at Lowes, they come with a hollow core, I cut them a little longer than the pole, and make a slit up the side for the reel to slide into. 2 bucks a piece, plus they come in bright and shiny dont step on me colors.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2015, 05:03 PM »
another thing that works are the plastic tubes out of old golf bags.drill holes in one end attach a rubber band or hair tie to hold the rods handle securely in the tubes.works great.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 01:31 PM »
My experience is that when the rod gets cold you don't need protection!  ;D

I played around with the high end rods for a while. TUCR, Thorne bros, Customs (still have a bunch), DH, 13 fishing, etc. Was so worried about breaking them that I had to baby everything, even with a hard case i didn't feel good about them. Finally went to $9 HT ice blues rods and caught just as many fish and now I don't give a crap if I break it! I toss them across the ice, leave in buckets for transport, and loan them to friends whenever I feel like it. Its a huge stress relief!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2015, 03:04 AM »
A voice of reason in a sea of techno blabber.

Good for you Kevin. You've seen the light!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JMabary

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:44 PM »
I might haft to try a couple of these ideas.

Offline Buschfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:41 AM »
I bought a cheap small hard sided gun case and it holds 3 poles very nice and keeps them safe 

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:28 PM »
My experience is that when the rod gets cold you don't need protection!  ;D

I played around with the high end rods for a while. TUCR, Thorne bros, Customs (still have a bunch), DH, 13 fishing, etc. Was so worried about breaking them that I had to baby everything, even with a hard case i didn't feel good about them. Finally went to $9 HT ice blues rods and caught just as many fish and now I don't give a crap if I break it! I toss them across the ice, leave in buckets for transport, and loan them to friends whenever I feel like it. Its a huge stress relief!

Agree. There's nothing as overrated as high end ice fishing rods. The Ice Blues and Shakespeare Ice rods are pretty hard to beat for most applications.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Rod Pods anyone else use them?

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:51 PM »
I'd have to disagree with the ice blue crowd. I own one and its the last rod out of the box. Sure it works, cost like $10 to replace, and require no protection because who cares if it breaks but its not nearly as enjoyable to use. Ive use a cheap soft case with the PVC tube and never broke a rod. Recently got a plano case for $40 that holds 6 rods and all my tackle.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:22 PM »
I'd have to disagree with the ice blue crowd. I own one and its the last rod out of the box. Sure it works, cost like $10 to replace, and require no protection because who cares if it breaks but its not nearly as enjoyable to use. Ive use a cheap soft case with the PVC tube and never broke a rod. Recently got a plano case for $40 that holds 6 rods and all my tackle.

Which Plano case did you get?

I have four of my rods in a Rapala soft case and have PVC protectors on a few others.  I'm starting to think that one, big, hard case would be the easiest solution.

Tight lines,
Bob

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:55 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E2217I6/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511930993&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=plano+gun+case&dpPl=1&dpID=41TFfftJoWL&ref=plSrch
It's got pluck foam, I layed my rods on there half one way half the other and plucked/cut the foam so the reels could fit and then cut out a couple spots for tackle boxes to fit under the rods. I'll try to figure out how to post a picture tomorrow. Wal-Mart and fleet farm might have them in the store to look at.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:19 PM »
I used thin wall PVC to make protectors. 10' for under 2'.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:15 AM »
by 3/4" pet expandable tubing and make your own rod sleeves.  i have them on all my ice rods it keeps from tangling and provides a modecum of protection.  the best part is i don't have to haul around another case for them. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2017, 03:36 PM »
also regarding the custom rods.  in the past, the reason for me to go custom was the noodle rod.  the ice blues kind of take care of you but ultimately still don't give me all the feel i want. 

that being said, the market has crapped out a bunch of noodle rods that can be had for sub 30 bucks.  the clam genz noodle, the beaver dam noodle, the snitch, etc etc.  some work better than others.  dare i say it, the clam one has the same feel as my 80 dollar customer noodle. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.