New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031772 times)

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #8430 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:41 PM »
Honestly, as fast the snow was melting off early this afternoon it will expose the ice to the rain and warm temps so I don’t see it holding up long.  That’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth
I agree 1000000% hornet!!

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8431 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Fantastic John and Hornet! A few of us were planning on going up on the 23rd for a few days. It would be my first time walking on Oneida ice. I’d love to have a fraction of the day you guys had. Crossing my fingers…but the forecast doesn’t look favorable.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8432 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:52 PM »
FJ- that IS an awesome day. It was my best 4 hours of eye catching but 50 in a day is lights out. Your intuition was correct, congrats for having the faith to make the 3+ hour trek.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8433 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:02 PM »
They weren’t crushing the jig and my Wicked 13 ML didn’t have the backbone to bury the hooks in many of my jig hits but this one was driven home.

If those walleye don’t come thru the hole cross-eyed…. You need to set the hook harder!!😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8434 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:03 PM »
They weren’t crushing the jig and my Wicked 13 ML didn’t have the backbone to bury the hooks in many of my jig hits but this one was driven home.

If those walleye don’t come thru the hole cross-eyed…. You need to set the hook harder!!😁

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8435 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:04 PM »
I know onieda..(not like others FOR SURE)
But after looking closely at weather I decided to make the 3 1/2hr drive because it looks like this might be my only chance to get on the ice on onieda and wasnt disappointed...... left my place at 2 a.m...
We were first truck in verona parking lot at 520..
Took our time and spudded spudded spudded out to 22 fow...
Before I knew it there were machines running all over the place.. needless to say i was SHOCKED!!!!!!!!
 We started with appx 8" of ice..
Caught over 50 eyes... dropped several legals at the hole....
Caught some decent perch and dropped some of those at the hole also!!!!
By 130 we had our limit and headed back in.. when we left ice was down to appx 6" the warm temps will deteriorate conditions fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Bar none the best ice day I've had on any body of water!!!!
Thank you lady O!!!
Good work, John!! Epic trip for you!!😎

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8436 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:07 PM »
Larry, I ended up getting a ML and didn’t bring the Med i got from you because I thought I would be focusing on perch more. Definitely learned my lesson, I could have landed 20 if I brought that one haha

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8437 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:14 PM »
Larry, I ended up getting a ML and didn’t bring the Med i got from you because I thought I would be focusing on perch more. Definitely learned my lesson, I could have landed 20 if I brought that one haha
Just busting on you! 😁 I’m glad you caught some fish bud. That rod I gave you was MH… that will get the job done. 🎣💪🏻

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #8438 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:15 PM »
I know onieda..(not like others FOR SURE)
But after looking closely at weather I decided to make the 3 1/2hr drive because it looks like this might be my only chance to get on the ice on onieda and wasnt disappointed...... left my place at 2 a.m...
We were first truck in verona parking lot at 520..
Took our time and spudded spudded spudded out to 22 fow...
Before I knew it there were machines running all over the place.. needless to say i was SHOCKED!!!!!!!!
 We started with appx 8" of ice..
Caught over 50 eyes... dropped several legals at the hole....
Caught some decent perch and dropped some of those at the hole also!!!!
By 130 we had our limit and headed back in.. when we left ice was down to appx 6" the warm temps will deteriorate conditions fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Bar none the best ice day I've had on any body of water!!!!
Thank you lady O!!!
Nice job.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8439 on: Feb 05, 2023, 08:06 PM »
Just busting on you! 😁 I’m glad you caught some fish bud. That rod I gave you was MH… that will get the job done. 🎣💪🏻
Holy crap I forgot and the one I was using was a medium, what a difference between the two!  My hands were against the ceiling before that rod fully loaded up and still needed another foot before I would have given it enough oomph. Maybe in early march I’ll finally get to try out yours unless I head up to Chaumont first.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8440 on: Feb 05, 2023, 08:25 PM »
This is literally what a decent walleye does to the medium.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8441 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:47 AM »
better day today but it was a grind  cant get to my better areas, theres still very thin ice out there , i know area in less then a step goes 6in to 2in,,, and the 2in area aint small
Actually shocking that only one machine went thru and it happened to be someone familiar with the lake just goes to show can never be too careful we’ll see with the temps this week what she does that sun hitting the black ice isn’t the best lots of heat absorbing and expanding

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8442 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:48 AM »
I’m usually a week behind first ice and wait for the 6” report to head out but surprised that 1000 people took the chance this morning to head out.  Anyways, it was a good weekend for the locals to get a crack at it.  I had 2 walleyes iced before I even dropped a jig. They were hitting my first tip up before i could even set the spring. It was that kind of morning for me, finally.
Good work man, well deserved

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8443 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:21 AM »
better day today but it was a grind  cant get to my better areas, theres still very thin ice out there , i know area in less then a step goes 6in to 2in,,, and the 2in area aint small

We were straight out of Chapmans yesterday in around 27' of water and the ice went from white to clear black ice. The clear black ice was 2" thick and that was in the morning before the sun and warm temps.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8444 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:36 AM »
We were straight out of Chapmans yesterday in around 27' of water and the ice went from white to clear black ice. The clear black ice was 2" thick and that was in the morning before the sun and warm temps.
Was that the hockey rink out there?  It looked like a 1/2 acre of open water, but wasn't.  I walked up to it and the same thing, 1-2" clear ice.

I fished the afternoon shift.  Crossed a couple of small cracks on the way out to 30 fow, 3/4 mile walk.  A few shanties further out than me.  Everywhere was 5-6 inches, but by the time I wrapped up at 5:30, you could see the air bubbles forming in the ice.  A couple of snow dogs out there, brave souls.  I heard a couple of sleds, but didn't see any personally.  Pretty quiet afternoon pick and then at dusk was a slam show.  The last hour was all marks and I caught 6 eyes in about 20 minutes, with 3 good keepers in that 16-19" slot.  One had those warts on its fins.  The ones I kept were all males.  Added two jumbo perch to the pile and called it a weekend.  UV buckshot spoon tipped with a buckeye brought all the boys to the yard. 

Could be it for the season, but who knows.  I don't think the ice lasts past thursday and I won't be back out until I see another good cold snap.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8445 on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Was that the hockey rink out there?  It looked like a 1/2 acre of open water, but wasn't.  I walked up to it and the same thing, 1-2" clear ice.

It could be - no one was on it when i left mid day. I caught one 14.5 inch walleye and that was it for me. It was very slow the whole morning.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8446 on: Feb 06, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Had a great time this weekend sat off Williams and Sun off Lewis. I was 1.2nm directly east of Dunham sat and there was 2.5 to 3inches of ice and def open water more to my east. Plane kept flying overhead at my location. Each area has its bad spots that's ice fishing gotta spud and spud some more and be very aware of your surroundings. Hopefully she lasts!!!
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8447 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:34 PM »

Good job all 🎣👍

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8448 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:59 PM »
steady pick today, lil water on ice in early AM  but top was hard by 1pm everything froze on top

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8449 on: Feb 06, 2023, 03:37 PM »
This is literally what a decent walleye does to the medium.

I use the MH all winter. When they hit, they get screwed to the top!!🎣 I don’t give them time to play games.😁

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8450 on: Feb 06, 2023, 03:47 PM »
I use the MH all winter. When they hit, they get screwed to the top!!🎣 I don’t give them time to play games.😁
Using a MH for them. You must be dodging “eye” darts. Lol
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8451 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:17 PM »
I’ll definitely be using the MH for jigging raps late season if there’s ice.  The tip on the M was too mushy for dancing them

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8452 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:35 PM »
Their calling for 1/4-1/2” of rain Thursday.  Not good…………… ::)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8453 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:37 PM »
 I use a med 13 wicked 28”for perch and Oneida eyes , for the big Ontario gals I use a 13 wicked 31” MH and a 31” glass rod ,

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8454 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:51 PM »
I bought a new Eskimo wide shanty for this season which is awesome but has a really low roof that doesn’t allow for much of a hook set so maybe that’s why I had trouble not burying the hooks in them like I usually could. I only have about 3’ of clearance from my resting hand position to the roof. 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8455 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:06 PM »
lol. I’m with you KP. I hook a fish and right to the top it goes. I lose more screwing around with them than snapping the line

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8456 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:34 PM »
I bought a new Eskimo wide shanty for this season which is awesome but has a really low roof that doesn’t allow for much of a hook set so maybe that’s why I had trouble not burying the hooks in them like I usually could. I only have about 3’ of clearance from my resting hand position to the roof.
Not sure how big you are but I myself am 6’6 220 and I tried the otter hideout for 2 years and had around 2ish ft above resting. I started setting the hook like it was a bait runner, reel to water then set. I notice myself now my rod tip is inches from h2o while jigging. Just bought a MH this year have not used it yet. The fight from a 7/8/9# eye on a M rod is fun. And even more so with a pike. That MH for when I thing I need more back bone.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8457 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:45 PM »
Not sure how big you are but I myself am 6’6 220 and I tried the otter hideout for 2 years and had around 2ish ft above resting. I started setting the hook like it was a bait runner, reel to water then set. I notice myself now my rod tip is inches from h2o while jigging. Just bought a MH this year have not used it yet. The fight from a 7/8/9# eye on a M rod is fun. And even more so with a pike. That MH for when I thing I need more back bone.

Funny you mention keeping your tip down. I was coaching my 6 year old last night about keeping his tip down when he teased up fish. He would raise his tip toward the sky instead of raising the butt. I must have told him 10 times to keep the tip down or you’ll never get the hook set!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8458 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:04 PM »
Funny you mention keeping your tip down. I was coaching my 6 year old last night about keeping his tip down when he teased up fish. He would raise his tip toward the sky instead of raising the butt. I must have told him 10 times to keep the tip down or you’ll never get the hook set!
I’m still bad in that dept some days too. Haha
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8459 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Using a MH for them. You must be dodging “eye” darts. Lol
😁

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com