New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031760 times)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7650 on: Mar 05, 2022, 11:55 AM »
ice great condtion, ran all over couldnt find em.....

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7651 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I understand about the location thing, but this site gives me so much info, wanted to share once. I know it's where you fish also, sorry.
It is nice to share until you get burned.  One year I caught a limit so the next day I shared with a guy I had fished with a couple times.  He brought a buddy and all 3 of us limited out. The next day I was on them again and when I opened my shanty around 10 there were 35 guys within 50 yards of me.  This spot was in the middle of the lake and the two previous days there wasn’t a guy within 3miles of me. Lesson learned.  You didn’t give an exact spot and there have been a few guys in that area all year.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7652 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:44 PM »
That lake has been blown up so bad over the last 5 years, that nothing is sacred anymore. Sit in the same spot for more than 4 hours… you’ve got company coming. I’ve been getting on the ice at 4:30-5:00 most mornings… that doesn’t help either. Anglers will setup right on top of me. The old saying that “it’s a big lake, give the next guy room, lots of lake to fish” is over. I, along with my friends, have been burned in the past. Main reason I don’t post my outings anymore. Not a rant, just posting facts.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #7653 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:13 PM »
I'll be honest. I post what I do and don't care if guys fish around me. It's going to happen. It's why I move around alot. This lake has a ton of water to cover and the fish are all over. If I don't like what I see, I move. I also am one of the last holdouts of the gas auger crowd so I make noise. People get all bent about that too. Oh well. If you want real privacy then use a wetsuit and fish from under the water. Lol. There used to be tons of guys fishing in big shanty towns. I am sure a few fists were exchanged back then. But so we're beers and burgers and bait. I guess I'm just old and don't give a damn any more about the spot burning of an entire lake.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7654 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Yep, the term “loose lips sink ships” applies here and everywhere now especially with social media. I have enjoyed a pretty private spot on Oneida the past few years and still had nobody around me within 100 yards in any direction. Today beat my previous outing and the one before which were both my best days out in years. Landed 15 eyes, 10 were short and a few of them not by much. Also landed 17 perch, only 5 were under 11” with few 12”+ tanks and threw back a couple 9’s. Could have left with my limit of eyes at 8 am but glad I stuck around to pick away at the perch and c&r some bonus walleyes.

I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7655 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:19 PM »
I'll be honest. I post what I do and don't care if guys fish around me. It's going to happen. It's why I move around alot. This lake has a ton of water to cover and the fish are all over. If I don't like what I see, I move. I also am one of the last holdouts of the gas auger crowd so I make noise. People get all bent about that too. Oh well. If you want real privacy then use a wetsuit and fish from under the water. Lol. There used to be tons of guys fishing in big shanty towns. I am sure a few fists were exchanged back then. But so we're beers and burgers and bait. I guess I'm just old and don't give a damn any more about the spot burning of an entire lake.
oh, your the guy with power auger!!!😂😂😂😂😂😁😁 Just kidding!! I now make moves when needed! Best of luck the rest of the season to you!!😎

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7656 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:20 PM »
Good work Greenhornet!!😎

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7657 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Thanks KP.  I have never broken an ice rod in 18 years while ice fishing and have snapped 3 this season, one on a fish and two on way too excited exits out of the flip over to run down flags 😣.  They’ve all resulted in upgrades though including the one today. 

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7658 on: Mar 05, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Thanks KP.  I have never broken an ice rod in 18 years while ice fishing and have snapped 3 this season, one on a fish and two on way too excited exits out of the flip over to run down flags 😣.  They’ve all resulted in upgrades though including the one today.
Lol! I have broken 4 rods on hooksets in my life. I haven’t broke one in 4 years since upgrading to 13fishing MH 31” rods. Filetandrelease got me interested in them. My son is pro staff for them with his bass tourney fishing. Great products!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7659 on: Mar 05, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I haven’t tried those. The one a broke today was a 28” meat stick that I really liked but was just a little long for hooksets in my one man shanty. Three weeks ago was my “green hornet” mackinaw casting grip rod I built myself that I loved. Building a new one will be a late fall project for me this year the day after I put my boat away.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7660 on: Mar 05, 2022, 03:16 PM »
 Btw how is the tip action on the mh’s? I like to be able to see the tip move if a perch happens to nip but the backbone on those must give a good hook set

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7661 on: Mar 05, 2022, 03:28 PM »
i use  broken  broom handles  and  just rip them  eyes out of the water .......

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7662 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:00 PM »

Well done hornet

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7663 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:14 PM »
Couldn’t find ‘em again today. Moved 10 times. Got a handful of keeper eyes and then picked away for 25 good perch.

Probably my last trip but it was a good end with a couple of good trips the last couple of weeks.

Gonna be some more good fishing out there yet to come. Good luck to everyone still getting after it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7664 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:48 PM »

Chowdaire,  Sounds like a good day to me

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7665 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:56 PM »
Oh yeah. Good day for sure. Good to end the season with some perch in the freezer.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7666 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Definitely a good day for sure. I was happy with my catch and you got twice as many perch as I did and I’m sure many of them are the quality Oneida size that have been numerous this ice season. Many nice sized fillets there.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7667 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Oh yeah. Good day for sure. Good to end the season with some perch in the freezer.

End to the season?  :nono:

It’s not far off though. I think Rick (APPS) says 10 days after the geese arrive? I saw 2 geese today…  >:(

Great job as usual Chow!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7668 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Good job, Bob!! 🎣

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7669 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Large flocks all day today heading north

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7670 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Btw how is the tip action on the mh’s? I like to be able to see the tip move if a perch happens to nip but the backbone on those must give a good hook set
Its the only rod I found, that will let you feel that perch nip in the tip, and, the backbone to make them go cross eyed when I set the hook. 😁

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7671 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:27 PM »
End to the season?  :nono:

It’s not far off though. I think Rick (APPS) says 10 days after the geese arrive? I saw 2 geese today…  >:(

Great job as usual Chow!

My bad! I meant end to MY season. Like I said, lots more fish to be caught before ice out.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #7672 on: Mar 05, 2022, 08:39 PM »
i use  broken  broom handles  and  just rip them  eyes out of the water .......

I hook dynamite to my lure cast it way out away from me to go boom then just go around with a net. ROFL 🤣
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7673 on: Mar 05, 2022, 10:08 PM »
I fished South Shore this afternoon and was surprised by the amount of snow on the ice. Any areas that I came across that were bare, the ice was hard but saw some air bubbles forming. I hope it gets some more snow on it. The launch was fine coming back in. Good luck to whoever is going out tommorow.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7674 on: Mar 05, 2022, 10:59 PM »
Nice pics and reports guys! Tomorrow is gonna be brutal. 60 mph wind gusts with thunderstorms
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7675 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:00 AM »
I snuck out for a couple of hours. There is still a good amount of snow on the ice and little water. Just some sprinkles here and there so far. Hopefully any big rain misses us.

The bite was much slower for me today. 1 keeper eye and 3 shorts.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7676 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:07 AM »
Better than working..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7677 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:10 AM »
As of right now looking out from house very little if any rain mild wind to no wind, cloudy with mild temps guessing it will change soon...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7678 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:23 AM »
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7679 on: Mar 06, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Better than working..👍👍

It sure is!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum