New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031736 times)

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7260 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:17 AM »
Food for thought :    I'm not suggesting any thing I'm just sayin this happened to me   Fished thurs out of Godfreys  Without a favorite spot, I just bounced around looking here and there  About 2:00 I had had enough and had dinner plans so I proceeded to fillet my perch on the ice with my jig pole still down and fish finder on.  Every so often I would wash off my cutting board in my hole and continue. By the time I had a dozen fish cleaned I had the bite going that I had looked for all day. It was quite intense for about an hour.
 I know that chumming has been discussed hear before and beat to death with a lot of ugly comments. Again I not suggesting to got out there and start dumping stuff, I just found it  ironic that they just started biting like that.  Maybe a school just happened to come in ?  Or maybe they just decided it was time to eat ?

Any way, I returned to the same hole yesterday without so much as thinking of chumming and did Ok but not great   I did however crack that Onieda jinx and caught 2 nice walleye
      My first thru the ice

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7261 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:44 AM »
Lewis point has calmed down, Saturday forget it Sunday hasn't been so crowded weekdays are good before 7 am. Took a walk things have tightened some lots of water should be good after cold returns.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7262 on: Feb 12, 2022, 12:40 PM »
out of godfrey today, still a good bit of slush.  never stuck with snowmobile but it got a workout getting through, seen a couple wheelers get stuck.  nice morning until the rain and ridiculous wind behind it came.  lots of lookers and the takers where shorts but the wife got a nice 20 incher

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7263 on: Feb 12, 2022, 04:26 PM »
To each their own but I know when other guys are struggling and I have my limit I won't say chumming in non sense
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7264 on: Feb 12, 2022, 04:37 PM »
do ii think you can chum perch or walleyes ....probablly not but i bet you could chum   minnows and crawfish to come in ....  people  use lights to draw minnows in to get a bite going  .....maybe it does work

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7265 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Keep your ego In check. You don’t have time to clean fish and chum at the same time if you’re catching your limit.
Maybe in the Gulf of Mexico.

Since when does chum have to be from that days catch? Or that it has to be filleted fish?
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7266 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Here we go blah blah......this time of year all we need to know is how was the ice today...are the cracks doing ok and did the slush tighten up its a big lake no need to bicker everyone get together and help each other out....most important everyone have a fun a d safe trip out on the ice

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7267 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:40 PM »
 Pounder
 Just get the info from Bruce or Bobby as you know those 2 ,and there are a few others I believe , sorry I haven’t been out
 And to chum or not to chum is a choice
 I for 1 would like to see all these limits of 50 good perch off Oneida

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7268 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Lmao no kidding. A dozen or so good keeper perch is a good god damn day in my book for oneida.. chumming or not chumming. I don’t myself

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7269 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:59 PM »
i would think tomorrow that slush should be tightened up

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7270 on: Feb 12, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Lmao no kidding. A dozen or so good keeper perch is a good god damn day in my book for oneida.. chumming or not chumming. I don’t myself
  I guess I just got lucky for a guy who is not a regular and don't know as much as I would like to about the lake I think I had a fun 2 days. with 15 good perch on thursday  and 11 on friday plus 2 eyes and a bunch of throw backs. Please guys don't let this turn into something ugly.  I just wanted to know others opinions. Maybe it was just luck

By the way, Pimple pounder thats a nice pic.  Two guys enjoying the weather with a cool one on the bucket and a fish fry going home   nice

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7271 on: Feb 12, 2022, 07:17 PM »
62 i think you did great buddy .....and  first thing about oneida  just when you think you know it ......  it screws ya lol  my best this year was 17  and that was luck i suck on that lake

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7272 on: Feb 12, 2022, 07:18 PM »
I’m sorry. I’ve been slamming beers all day and my mouth and fingers got the best of me. I may chum the toilet soon at the rate I’m going.
Chum away boys. Dog food, perch guts, human remains, whatever. As long as you get your limit while others are struggling.

well said  ,i too am having a few labatts   ;D

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7273 on: Feb 12, 2022, 07:33 PM »
  I guess I just got lucky for a guy who is not a regular and don't know as much as I would like to about the lake I think I had a fun 2 days. with 15 good perch on thursday  and 11 on friday plus 2 eyes and a bunch of throw backs. Please guys don't let this turn into something ugly.  I just wanted to know others opinions. Maybe it was just luck

By the way, Pimple pounder thats a nice pic.  Two guys enjoying the weather with a cool one on the bucket and a fish fry going home   nice
oh no I didn’t mean anything by that post I was just agreeing Iv very rarely if ever seen a limit (50 perch) on oneida from one guy in a day of 8” plus fish. I count that as a Great weekend you had myself. As far as chumming to each there own as far as I’m concerned

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7274 on: Feb 13, 2022, 09:06 AM »
The slush is all locked up.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7275 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Walking was great, fishing sucked.  The fish were not where I left them 2 weeks ago.  I like to think I know how to catch perch on Oneida.  In 20 years I think I have 5 limits, a few 40’s and a lot of 20’s and 30’s.  Now if you added up all those days and multiplied by 16 you would get my single digit and 0 trips.  I only keep 10” and up so I will gladly take all the beatings for the occasional good or great day.  Those great days the fish seem to run larger so 50, 11-13” perch fills the freezer bigly. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7276 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:29 PM »

Chum it’s about getting lucky and landing on fish ,  after 2 weeks they may have picked that spot clean of forage and moved on
 You’ll get them next time

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7277 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:55 PM »
How's the burbot bite been? Taking a break from adk Lakers and Pike. Willing to trade Lake Champlain laker spots for some Oneida burbot  ;D
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7278 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:02 PM »
For those asking about burbot last ten yrs there havent been many around to my knowledge no specific area they are caught and area very far and few now . Not sure why years ago they were very common i may have got 2 last yr none this year ... IMO not worth a trip to oneida to target them maybe some others have more positive info

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7279 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:17 PM »
For those asking about burbot last ten yrs there havent been many around to my knowledge no specific area they are caught and area very far and few now . Not sure why years ago they were very common i may have got 2 last yr none this year ... IMO not worth a trip to oneida to target them maybe some others have more positive info
I used to get a few every year.  I bet haven’t caught one in 7-8 years

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7280 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:36 PM »
Fished this morning. Conditions were great for travel. Everything is locked up as Reeleyez stated. Marked quite a few fish. Ended up landing 6 keeper eyes 7 shorts just under 15” and 10 perch. Fish were there but kind of fussy.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7281 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:52 PM »
That sounds like a great morning Bobby.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7282 on: Feb 13, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Definitely was Bruce! Weather was perfect too!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7283 on: Feb 13, 2022, 03:17 PM »
 Good job guys
 The ones that want to target burbot , IMO save your time and money , I believe you will be very disappointed 

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7284 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:17 PM »
I also have not caught a burbot in quite a few years.  Never caught alot of them.  Personally I think targeting them would be a fruitless adventure.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #7285 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:26 PM »
I would enjoy hooking into one.  Been at least 5 and more likely towards 10 years since ive caught one. 

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7286 on: Feb 13, 2022, 05:09 PM »
I would enjoy hooking into one.  Been at least 5 and more likely towards 10 years since ive caught one.
Probably didn’t help that a lot of guys just left them on the ice.  I ate one and it was pretty good. 

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7287 on: Feb 13, 2022, 07:09 PM »
Back in the 90' s on weekends people would be out looking for them. I used to see an older gentleman dragging a sled and picking them up.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7288 on: Feb 14, 2022, 05:12 AM »
Probably didn’t help that a lot of guys just left them on the ice.  I ate one and it was pretty good.

I have not caught a burbot in at least 3 years. When I was a kid they would be all over the ice. I hope Karma pays a visit to the people that used to do that.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7289 on: Feb 14, 2022, 05:34 AM »

I personally only kept 1 (burbot) if I was fishing with someone that ate them
 I can also remember seeing them on the ice , I was trying to remember the last 1 I caught it’s been several years
 Last one I saw was cruising the shore line while I was casting 2 years ago

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.