New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031776 times)

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #6960 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:05 AM »
I run braid as my main line... attatch a tiny barrel swivel to end and run a 3 foot leader of 10-12lb fluorocarbon to jig
Same but lighter. I run Power Pro braid in 5lb & 8lb with a flouro leader off a barrel swivel.  Leader I go 3-4lb off the 5lb Power Pro and 6lb off the 8lb braid. I do also have a couple mono setups and run a 6lb Berkley micro ice line and direct tie a 4-5lb flouro leader. Heavy enough for the walleye and light enough for the perch. Good luck!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6961 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:36 AM »
I'm heading out to Oneida on Friday. I've only been there twice and only cought 1 walleye. Do you guys have spots or tips to catch more walleye. Thank you

follow the crowds  they are setting up there for a reason

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6962 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Navionics on your phone the most important 15$ u can spend on fishing.
another option is if you have a garmin unit on your boat you can download the active captain app, it allows you access to all of your maps from your plotter and acts like navionics with gps showing where you are.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6963 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:49 AM »
i run  20 or 30 pound mono  on my  rods  with a  2 oz  sinker   then i  tie  in  4 or 5  loop  knots and  put  jigs on ....i like  really  big  jigs    drop it  down to the  sinker  hits the  ground  then  jig it once let it set count  to 10  do it again ....works  great!!!!!  when  i get them on the  ice  i  carry a  small club like the  ones  truckers  check there  tires  with and a  smash  em  3  or 4 times  so they don't flop back  down the  hole  besides  i think it's  more  humane ...i hate  people that toss them in a lonely bucket to  slowly  expire ......when  you  get them  home  i usually hang them  a  day or  two  to get tender  then  scale  them    cut the heads off .... i like the  bones in makes them look  bigger ...... when your  done  take  all the  scrape  put in a  food procceser and  grind it up save  for  your next trip out for  chum....oh  make  sure  yo  fry them in real lard  and  bacon  fat   fry them slow  so ,it  helps make  the  fish tender .....hope i  helped you  guys....next week i'll  talk about  snipe  hunting  for  beginners

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #6964 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:56 AM »
i run  20 or 30 pound mono  on my  rods  with a  2 oz  sinker   then i  tie  in  4 or 5  loop  knots and  put  jigs on ....i like  really  big  jigs    drop it  down to the  sinker  hits the  ground  then  jig it once let it set count  to 10  do it again ....works  great!!!!!  when  i get them on the  ice  i  carry a  small club like the  ones  truckers  check there  tires  with and a  smash  em  3  or 4 times  so they don't flop back  down the  hole  besides  i think it's  more  humane ...i hate  people that toss them in a lonely bucket to  slowly  expire ......when  you  get them  home  i usually hang them  a  day or  two  to get tender  then  scale  them    cut the heads off .... i like the  bones in makes them look  bigger ...... when your  done  take  all the  scrape  put in a  food procceser and  grind it up save  for  your next trip out for  chum....oh  make  sure  yo  fry them in real lard  and  bacon  fat   fry them slow  so ,it  helps make  the  fish tender .....hope i  helped you  guys....next week i'll  talk about  snipe  hunting  for  beginners
I'm rolling  :icefish: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6965 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:19 PM »
Thanks Trap for sharing all your secrets with us!!!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6966 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:33 PM »

Haha….That’s action!

Offline stasui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6967 on: Jan 27, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I heard gun powder seasoning works great. Lmao

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6968 on: Jan 27, 2022, 02:15 PM »

Sounds a lot like my grandfather trap. He worked on the freighter ships as mechanic. I think they actually used rope and wire though and the spoons were made from kitchen ware.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6969 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:24 PM »
You joke but I do carry a club in my shanty.  Before I pack up I dump them all out and put them to sleep.  That way when I dump them in the sink at home they don’t fop all over and make a mess.  I learned that trick from the Legend Tony Buffa.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6970 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:46 PM »
if theres  no water in the  sink  you won't have  a  mess anyways

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6971 on: Jan 27, 2022, 05:35 PM »
if theres  no water in the  sink  you won't have  a  mess anyways
Then they flop when the knife goes in, blood and scales all over the kitchen.  Quick little bonk on the head.  Easy peasy

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6972 on: Jan 27, 2022, 05:40 PM »
usually  they are   gone   by the  time  i  clean them any ways  , but a  lot of guys  do  whack  em

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #6973 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:18 PM »
usually  they are   gone   by the  time  i  clean them any ways  , but a  lot of guys  do  whack  em
Clip the gills = GAME OVER

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6974 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:14 PM »
I’ve had perch freeze solid while out on the ice all day then thaw out and start kicking again. Even had one swimming upright in a bucket of water and I let it go the next day.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6975 on: Jan 28, 2022, 12:34 AM »
Quiet fish
    http:// https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0z_reKMff8
 Got out with the guys yesterday and again I was monkey in the middle , started out ok grabbed 2 really nice eyes and then that all went Down hill they were catching perch on both sides of me while I struggled for perch , goon and BMV each did well I ended up with a handful
 I think those 2 young lads are taking advantage of an ol buzzard  😜
 Also yesterday if any one felt and heard
 The ice quake , it happened about 15’ from me and the goon , lucky the water pushed up on the other side of the crack and it shut of the goons heater off lol 

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6976 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:35 AM »
I like to cut the gills and bleed them out. Get nice clean white filets. One question, are people driving wheelers or snowmobile on the ice? Have not been out yet this year.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6977 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:40 AM »
I like to cut the gills and bleed them out. Get nice clean white filets. One question, are people driving wheelers or snowmobile on the ice? Have not been out yet this year.
I’m running my sled just watch crossing the bigger cracks is all

Offline CNYperchsearch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6978 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:48 AM »
Went out from north shore with ATV yesterday with no problems. Hopefully the snow from last night didn’t change that.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6979 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:59 AM »
Clip the gills = GAME OVER

I always clip the gills, no fish flopping when trying to filet and much cleaner filet board while doing it

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6980 on: Jan 28, 2022, 08:28 AM »
I was out there in the afternoon and felt that boom Fred. That ice moved pretty good.  :o

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6981 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Friend just said he got stuck this morning on wheeler in a 2' deep slush pool mid lake. Cruising along and splashed in deep so had to unhook shanty and make his way out. That stinks in the dark

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6982 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:52 AM »
That sucks in the light too!

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6983 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:58 AM »
That would scare the crap out of me… might wait until daylight now…

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6984 on: Jan 28, 2022, 12:38 PM »
It's great when cruising along and not a ripple to see it and bam you are in too deep to power through or brake and back out. Pucker factor for sure in the dark. Could be isolated spot but guys asked about wheelers and he happened to tell me that when I called. He has a half dozen perch and one eye so far so pretty slow for him.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6985 on: Jan 28, 2022, 12:54 PM »
Slush can be a nightmare! My least favorite thing on the lake. Last season I got in it so badly on Chazy Lake. Was up to my knees trying to get a snowmobile out. Day was shot!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6986 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:11 PM »

That sucks last year I plowed through a large pond of slush but luckily I managed to power through , in years past I’ve gotten stuck not a fun time
I’m never in a big hurry to get out in the dark , especially when I need to cross pressure cracks , the 1 I sat next to yesterday opened up and flooded back 40’
 With the temps forecasted should help tighten things up

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6987 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:44 PM »
I made my normal rare appearance yesterday. We were about a mile east of Apps when that boom occurred. The entire shanty with both of us and the atv lifted up and down a hell of a lot more than I ever experienced.  When we were done for the day and packing up, that crack/ canyon was less than 20 yds away and extended a long ways. That was something!
I went through slush today on Honeoye. Heard talk about it so I did not take the shanty out when I took the atv on the ice just to check.  Thank God I left the shanty . I really had to floor it to get through. Hate that stuff.

Offline Mjnoff21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6988 on: Jan 28, 2022, 03:13 PM »
Hit some slush heading to dakin from constantia this morning as well. Buried up to the frame of the ranger. Luckily was able to back out and keep going but hit a few other lighter slush spots as well.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6989 on: Jan 28, 2022, 03:47 PM »
That snowstorm was blinding this morning. Caught three short eyes and 20 nice perch lost a cpl of heavy fish all in all a good morning on Oneida. I was using Wax Worms on a three beaded horizontal jig GLO Red.
I live back in the woods you see

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.