New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031793 times)

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #6900 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:18 AM »
Good info Mcully.  Love when people share what they had luck on.  We fished out of Chapman Sunday and I had luck with a silver/green pimple tipped with a fat head.  Also black and gold rap.  Good luck all!

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6901 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:11 PM »
Took my first trip out on the ice this year.  Waiting for the right conditions to try out my new shanty.  Its big and I cant pull it due to health concerns.  Went off the north east shore after breakfast no hurry kind of a recon mission.  Knocked over my bait bucket in the parking lot off to a good start!  Picked up most of the fatheads and got em back in the bucket and poured my only bottle of water on them.  Didnt think they would live in beer.  Anyway worked my way out to 17 foot of water and was pleased to find 10 inches of rock solid ice.  Caught 3 walleyes in an hour and a half so was real happy with the season opener for me.  Fish were a little finicky but understandable of mid day.  I did well mid day last year for some reason too.  Good luck and stay safe to everybody heading out.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6902 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:16 PM »
Way to go Elrod. Great story.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6903 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:19 PM »
Sounds like a good day..👍👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6904 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:19 PM »
just in general' how deep would one start looking for perch or eyes on Onieda.  I know lots of guys like to get out there but is it necessary ?  I've got a hip that tells me when enough is enough and I really don't want to regret going fishing any more.  I would rather enjoy it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6905 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:42 PM »

Well done Elrod

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6906 on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll keep posting hope to go frequently now.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6907 on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:34 PM »
just in general' how deep would one start looking for perch or eyes on Onieda.  I know lots of guys like to get out there but is it necessary ?  I've got a hip that tells me when enough is enough and I really don't want to regret going fishing any more.  I would rather enjoy it.
If you go out of Chapman you can get to deep water pretty quick. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6908 on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:57 PM »
elrod ^5  great  ice breaker  buddy

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6909 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:26 PM »
Nice fish guys, great info!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6910 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Would anyone be so kind in telling me where there is a bait store near Cleveland? I’ll be coming down from 81 and traveling about a few hours on wednesday early morning.

Offline caribou

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6911 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:39 PM »
APPS BAIT SHOP IS RIGHT IN CLEVELAND

Offline Schwartzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6912 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:02 PM »

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6913 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Thank you both! Much appreciated!

Offline Schwartzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6914 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:33 AM »
Give them a call.

Offline walleyeken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6915 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:53 AM »
fred had mentioned a  new jigging spoon  called  a  iron decoy spoon which i  naturally had  to   order more then i will  ever use , it's  my nature  . anyways  i  thought i would  share  one of  my  favorites  it's the  Thomas  eel  they are not  expensive and  i  have  good  luck  on perch and  walleyes ...gold seems  to work  best for me  most days  but they  come in many  colors.......if you see some  they are well worth a try

made  in the  USA  and   great  for  stream  trout

Not only made in USA but made in my hometown of Hawley PA!  Thomas has a great line of lures that work great for perch - like the little tiger, rough rider and colorado.  Gold is the way to go and these lures stay nice and shiny for many years because they use a real gold electroplating - at least that is what my high school physics teacher told us.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6916 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:22 AM »

Started out off Sylvan beach before daybreak yesterday and bounced around for the first hour trying to find some marks.  Nothing in the first 8 holes from 18' to 23'.  Got cold so stayed at the last hole and in the hut for the next 3 hours.  One small walleye for my effort.  At noon started moving again out to 27', still nothing.  One last move back in to 25' and saw some marks.  Had a steady pick of perch and small walleye next couple hours.  The last hour had some keepers move in and it was game on.  Every drop had aggressive followers.  Bigger jigging raps brought the bigger fish.  Lost more than I caught.  Ice was solid 10" everywhere I walked and drilled.   Thinking next time I sleep in and make the 2 hour drive later in the day for the afternoon bite.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6917 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:55 AM »
 ^5 2 much

Offline 315Angler$

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6918 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:27 AM »
Headed out today from Williams. Breaking the Oneida cherry this year. Heard this weekends the fishing was good but getting busy. Hoping to avoid the crowds!

Offline IceTanner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6919 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:46 AM »
I need a little advice about parking in the Lewis Point area. Is there public access for parking and where? Should I just go to Sylvan Beach? Or some place to park in between?

Much Appreciated.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6920 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:10 AM »
I need a little advice about parking in the Lewis Point area. Is there public access for parking and where? Should I just go to Sylvan Beach? Or some place to park in between?

Much Appreciated.

lewis point is good but you need to get there real early to get a parking spot.  If you have a machine park at verona beach state park and ride out from there.  we did this past weekend and the ride out was good, where we set up off lewis we had 14 inches of ice.

Offline IceTanner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6921 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:20 AM »
Thanks billybob, Bringing my 76 yr old father and want a short walk for him. He wont ride on the back of the wheeler. So is the parking at the rv park on the point or at the town of lennox bldg?

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6922 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Thanks billybob, Bringing my 76 yr old father and want a short walk for him. He wont ride on the back of the wheeler. So is the parking at the rv park on the point or at the town of lennox bldg?
its near the rv park, probably room for 30-40 vehicles unless trailers start parking there.  another option is chapman park on the south shore or godfrey point on the north shore. both are comparable walks to get to deeper water

Offline IceTanner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6923 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Appreciate the info billybob !!

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6924 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Is the parking on the road at Chapman or is there a parking lot? Can’t see one on a map

Offline 315Angler$

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6925 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Is the parking on the road at Chapman or is there a parking lot? Can’t see one on a map

Pretty large parking lot

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #6926 on: Jan 25, 2022, 02:00 PM »
"Short walk"is a relative term...Nothing short about the walks at Oneida in my opinion. Usually 500 yds or more to get into deeper water...then you gotta find a honey hole from there. Plan accordingly bud. Good luck

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6927 on: Jan 25, 2022, 02:07 PM »
"Short walk"is a relative term...Nothing short about the walks at Oneida in my opinion. Usually 500 yds or more to get into deeper water...then you gotta find a honey hole from there. Plan accordingly bud. Good luck

As i get older this gets more and more true and I'm not that old i don't think ???
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6928 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:37 PM »
Pretty large parking lot

Got it, thanks. I was looking at the point on Navionics, not looking for the park

Offline Grizzy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6929 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Hey all,

New to the area and had some questions about accessing on the south shore.  Oneida Shores County Park says it's closed for construction work.  Does anyone know if you can access from there to ice fish?  If not, what would be the nearest access in that area? Thanks in advance!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.