New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031752 times)

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #6330 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:21 AM »
When I am zipping from the shore to a known destination on my sled, the spud stays in my truck. If I am walking (normally early and late ice), I always have my spud.
X2

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6331 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Got out yesterday from 5-6 after changing out both wheel bearings in the truck. Had a bunch of chasers but no takers. Saw some sketchy spots out there on my way out and back in. It was my last trip with the sled. I’ll be on foot from here on out
Good call too play it Safe Eyez's. Just think, Monday was perfect ice and Thursday considering calling it the season. Pic was this past Jan. 29th, my personal best day, Iced first keeper walleye, Great action and learning to filet proficiently, Im hooked!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6332 on: Mar 11, 2021, 11:38 AM »
X2
Mine even goes with me on my snowmobile
 But walking on 12-16”s of ice it stays in my shack , as I’m familiar with the areas I fish

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6333 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:28 PM »
 Nice fish coast 51 🎣🕳
 It’s been a struggle for this ol boy ,

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6334 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Yes nice ones Coast51
I live back in the woods you see

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6335 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:44 PM »
ice held up better then i thought it would top couple inches a lil soft then solid

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6336 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Mine even goes with me on my snowmobile
 But walking on 12-16”s of ice it stays in my shack , as I’m familiar with the areas I fish
I’m going to start carrying mine more. A few times out I wish I had it and it wasn’t with me. I know I always feel better when I have it regardless of where we are in the season!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6337 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Nice fish Fred and Coast! A buddy was out today. Said he fished out by the buoys and top 4 or 5 inches was pretty soft where he was. Bottom 6-8 was still pretty hard ice.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6338 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:34 PM »
I got out again tonight.

The bite didn’t start until after sunset. Same thing as last night.

Lost 3” of ice since Sunday where I was. There was still 12” of ice.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6339 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I’m living vicariously through all you boys up there.  Nice fish guys! That sunset is killer reeleyz!  I checked the webcam at Chapman and caught some cool colors. What a night to fish....!!

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6340 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:53 PM »
I’m going to start carrying mine more. A few times out I wish I had it and it wasn’t with me. I know I always feel better when I have it regardless of where we are in the season!
X2 SPUD! I've slowly been putting together ice fishing equipment, a couple of seasons ago I left behind a bucket with every Ice rod and reel I owned in it at Chapman's parking lot. Within a couple of hours, all returned to me with the help of a friend posting on social media and an honest fisherman that's on the Ice Shanty forum, awesome memory! I'm a walker, have a wheeler just never gave it enough effort. I spoke with the guys at Lakeside Outfitters, shared his thoughts on ice rods. Currently I use a 24' Northland medium light rod,  A Berkley -24'UL and a 24" medium "all middle of the road" ice rod's. They suggested adding a 30" to the mix. He explained MUCH better sensitivity with enough backbone for walleye's. The cost is about double and will have to learn how to set the hook in the close quarters of a one man but it made sense to me, said it could help for those finicky days, when I might be missing a few. First things first, A spud bar! Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions thru this season. Appreciate Oneida1 for the bricks trick. Hold's down the shanty skirt on windy days and all the ice reports from you all! Good Luck and be safe out there.
not sure how I put our hounds pictures up but meet Parker and Chuck and Tight Lines!

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6341 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:01 PM »
I got out again tonight.

The bite didn’t start until after sunset. Same thing as last night.

Lost 3” of ice since Sunday where I was. There was still 12” of ice.

Great Pictures reeleyz!  Keep em coming.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6342 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:46 PM »
Nice work and awesome pics Bruce!!

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6343 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:02 PM »
I’ve never taken the wheeler out on the ice without my spud bar because you never know when you’ll come up upon a iffy crack that needs to be checked before crossing also on windy days with bare ice you can use it to lay on the shanty skirt to help keep wind out
walk on water

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6344 on: Mar 11, 2021, 11:12 PM »
X2...Always check a crack with a spud before crossing it for the 1st time...remember, cracks get wider and more soft when it starts getting warmer...if you break through, the spud could keep you from falling into the crack. If I was a walker, I'd always carry a spud just for that reason also. Plus it helps your stride. I've seen people using 2 ski poles for that too. I spud could save your life. 

Great fish and photos fellas. I hope it up stays a bit longer for you guys...I'd always quit when my feet began to get wet... :o 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6345 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:33 AM »
Nice work and pics everyone. My hardwater season has come to an end, glad to see others able to get out.

Stay safe!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6346 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:38 AM »
My thermometer says 36 but the ground seems to be frozen here. Hopefully the lake got down enough to freeze. We didn't get much rain either.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6347 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Awesome pics and catch, Reeleyz!

The bite started after sundown? Sounds like they’re already going into open water mode.

Good luck and safe everybody

Offline Lakelivin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6348 on: Mar 12, 2021, 02:05 PM »
The Fat lady is singing.. Took a walk out from my shoreline today near messengers bay , The ice is deteriorating fast.. slusy top and some open water spots. with swift waters under the ice, Imho i'm calling it a season. No one ventured out today that i can see..

Offline Rock-n-reelin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6349 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:22 PM »
By any chance has anyone gone out of Lewis Point, i'm looking for ice conditions there. It's a 2.5 hr drive for me, looking at sunday. Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline Beekeeper1099

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6350 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Check out the post above yours. Messenger bay is right next to lewis point

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6351 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:05 PM »
shore from state launch to chapman is getting iffy open water in spots also between east end of dutchmans  theres and open crack at least 6 feet wide more in spots runs straight to south shore so dosnt look like you can even get to main lake from the launch, fat lady is singing boys,,,, I see 2 guys out one in front of chapman one  east of dutchmans

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6352 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:17 PM »

Here is 1 on the west end

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6353 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Came across the west end on 81 yesterday on my way to Massena and back, and knew it was all but shot. As I lost a couple weekends avoiding the snow and slush, it was a super short season for me. Had a bunch of fun and caught a few fish fry's so all was good. Time to get the boat ready. See Ya'll on the soft water, and have a great upcoming season. Be safe, and best of luck to everyone.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6354 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Damn not good!! Wind is cranking here on the northshore. Saw a guy out of spruce grove this afternoon. Hope he got off the ice ok with this wind

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6355 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Just went to the beach and back, only saw like a few people out. The edges are sketched, Scriba creek and the other ones are running like hell too. Get out the planks and the floaties.

🤪

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6356 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:38 PM »
well fred what you told me in feb came true ....tat ice looks solid but there is lot of air init ...when it gets warm well lose this ice fast ....again you called  it weeks ahead...good call man

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6357 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:39 PM »

Stacking big at the point

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6358 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:58 PM »
The north shore definitely took a beating. Saw a few guys out tonight. Not sure how much these cold nights will help with the water rising.

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6359 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Just watched 2 guys mountain climbing to get to shore not sure why they were out so long. Lucky guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.