New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031719 times)

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4350 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Heard two guys went for a swim in front of Chapman. Anyone confirm?
I know that there are pulling a 4wheeler just east of Chapman maybe a little more than a mile out.
Recover guy told my neighbor that this was his third recovery today and he has a fourth waiting at Lewis Point.
Be careful out there!
BTW, the single digit low tonight isn’t going to help much with 8-9 inches of snow.

PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4351 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:34 PM »
I know that there are pulling a 4wheeler just east of Chapman maybe a little more than a mile out.
Recover guy told my neighbor that this was his third recovery today and he has a fourth waiting at Lewis Point.
Be careful out there!
BTW, the single digit low tonight isn’t going to help much with 8-9 inches of snow.

PerchEyes
Wheelers shouldn't be anywhere near that lake right now.....sled had a hard enough time

Offline Icehoole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4352 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Be careful out there!

PerchEyes

Thanks. I decided to leave the sled home today. After I dragged everything out I almost walked back in in just to grab the sled to pull everything back. hopefully on sled next weekend.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4353 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Be careful out there!

PerchEyes
there was a nasty looking heave on the north side of lakeport shoal the other day...probably gobbled up the wheeler......impressed he made it out that far....hope he's ok

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4354 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:56 PM »
i think if your on a sled your ok  but you cant  see the cracks , a sled will  cross them but wheelers are getting sucked in, went back out for eyes only 1 short

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4355 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Slushy patches on the north shore as well. 4 wheelers seem like a bad idea right now unless you already know what you are riding on. Sled was fine but had to keep on the gas in spots.

Walleye bite was almost non existent for me and the little guy tonight.

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4356 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Quads are a bad idea now. Heavy sled as well. Slush is everywhere lakewide. If your going to sled...keep it moving.

Ice is safe with 6 to 8” most everywhere. Guys out in channel today. Can’t see that as wise. Slush, once surfed thru, will bog you down and leave you at risk for a breakdown.

Or at least work your sled too hard. Not worth it.

Common sense is not always common.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4357 on: Feb 09, 2020, 06:51 AM »
I have  come to the conclusion you can post what happens  you can say  4 wheelers are  getting stuck  everywhere ...the people  see  a  foot of  slush   and  ride  right out and get stuck ......I don't get it .....maybe  a few  people  do  read and listen .....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4358 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:16 AM »
 Few years ago I posted no go on wheelers
 And it was terrible , slush was almost  knee deep , 18” s of snow on top  , and people did a lot of shoveling , no wheelers for like 21 days, it’s in the archives  , I spent 1 day making frozen spots in key spots to fish from , I bet the snag remembers that, you FBrs can ask him about those conditions , all you can do is post what the travel is like and let everyone make up their own minds

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4359 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:39 AM »
tall boots are a  good idea too  :roflmao:  lacross  time

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4360 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Few years ago I posted no go on wheelers
 And it was terrible , slush was almost  knee deep , 18” s of snow on top  , and people did a lot of shoveling , no wheelers for like 21 days, it’s in the archives  , I spent 1 day making frozen spots in key spots to fish from , I bet the snag remembers that, you FBrs can ask him about those conditions , all you can do is post what the travel is like and let everyone make up their own minds
I remember that year, I made trails out towards grassy ond little island. The best path was the Constantia-Borios path, you can use that to get out, then go off it and hope for the best.

Offline off the BOTTOM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4361 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:51 AM »
fished off sylvan beach yesterday, took sled to 26` friend had eyoyo camera cool watching fish eyes would just kiss jig with mouth closed.  some big perch hang with bigger eyes  got 3 perch   friend lost couple short eyes   fun day.   hut was in 2 inches water when we left no issues with sled

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4362 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:55 AM »

Thanks Tim

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4363 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Any one off the beach with a sled today I wanna bring my 5 year

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4364 on: Feb 09, 2020, 02:00 PM »
decent day on the perch, where there were trails from yesterday it firmed up and where the water got to the top of the snow, but still lots of areas of slush under a few inchs of snow then 6 to 8 in of slush and still tuff going

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4365 on: Feb 09, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Got 6 decent perch in a few hours was nice out there slush is bad off trail

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4366 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:48 PM »
It seems like there was a lot more slush tonight compared to last night. Hopefully it goes to all slush before the next good freeze.

Better walleye bite tonight.

Anybody see the moon come up tonight? I tried to get a picture but it didn’t come out good.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4367 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:59 PM »
It was a work out today. I almost turned around after the first 100yds.i had the throttle down about 3/4 the way and was going about 20. Two guys between 225 and 250 plus gear, we basically road a wheelie for 3 miles. Made a hell of a nice trail though.

Found a decent eye bite in the evening, day was very slow.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4368 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Fished the last 3 days.  Friday and Saturday were tough.  This morning it changed.  5 keepers and 5 shorts and 1 perch by 9:15.  Made a move and picked up 2 perch.   Traveling sucked.  When I came off at noon it was getting really bad.  Next weekend we should be good. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4369 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:04 AM »
 A bud sent this to me last night

315-420-3625

Offline lazyjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4370 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:19 AM »
Yikes!
Regulators are noting to play with.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #4371 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:32 AM »
Freddy,

Those were the guys that recovered the 4-wheeler I reported going in on Sat.
I wonder how much just to get a wheeler out of a crack (not fully submerged)?
Anyone have an idea?
I'm guessing at least a grand.
Anyways, thanks for the number. I'm going to add to contacts and hope to never call it!

Thanks,
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4372 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:50 AM »
well you can see the slush/ water coming up threw the snow all over the place hopefully it reduces amount of snow dosnt eat away the ice and sets up friday

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4373 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:07 AM »
Steady rain all the way to work and rising temps. It might happen. We just need the snow to stay away until it can freeze.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4374 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:23 AM »
The lake is mess, what a year this has been. I won't go out in these conditions again until things harden up. There were a lot of areas where the slush ate up all the snow, if it just gets cold it will be a ton better. 

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4375 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:21 AM »
I dragged a Frabill Recruit 0.6 of a mile from Chapman on Saturday ... holy crap that was a work out.  I've never really needed a smitty sled on Oneida, but now I'm thinking about putting one together.  Even then, I don't think it would help that much ... it was like walking in wet cement.

But I managed a couple of 'eyes and a couple of perch.  The fish were finicky eaters during the day, but I ate well that night to make me forget the walk out.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4376 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:25 AM »
lake is a mess........nobody out at Sylvan beach........5 huts at Williams......couple huts out at chapman.........by tomorrow it all should be slushy watery mix , then a good freeze will make it all good again.....providing we don't get any more snow....what are the odds

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4377 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:27 AM »
Nice job Fly.

You would be surprised how much help a smitty would be.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4378 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:05 AM »
I hate to say it but... anybody ready for green grass? Fishing in a foot of slush blows! Walking the woods chasing coyotes in knee deep snow is a blast as well 😡

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4379 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:15 AM »
I hate to say it but... anybody ready for green grass? Fishing in a foot of slush blows! Walking the woods chasing coyotes in knee deep snow is a blast as well 😡
My Myrtle Beach vaca can't get here fast enough

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.