New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031816 times)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #3990 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:04 PM »
not from my own eyes but was told that out at the beach ice can change alot to one whack with spud and your threw, sooooo i would say wheelers nah

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3991 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Was it a million dollars? I left it somewhere but can’t remember where.
only$750,000....sorry Chum

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3992 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Any atv’s out of the beach today ? Wonder if they can get around

It's not a far walk, why risk going through on you wheeler an having to pay big money to get it out if it goes down.  Also that would mess up the ice if you go through out there or at the shore.

Offline fishpalal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3993 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:53 PM »
I read one post mentioning the loss of a large Burbot at the hole last year and have been interested in learning more about trying to catch some . Any info here which area of the lake to catch them? Have been out there a couple times and had little luck on perch and none on the walleye. Fished the beach area simply for safety in numbers and distance to travel on foot. I have a Garmin fishfinder but don’t use that much except for depth and entertainment,lol, listen to the fish alarm.

Offline rlejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3994 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:01 AM »
Thanks for everyone’s opinion, truly valued . As I’m handicapped and can not walk very far 4 wheeler is my only option. But the bad weather coming with no cool down looks like my ice season is over with before it got started.

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3995 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Not to worry there will be plenty of fishing time to be had in February..  It is usually one nasty month in this part of the country.  There are some positives on this weather.  Nice weather shortened the winter up for us residents of the region and it always makes for a killer fishing year the following spring.  This lake gets an incredible amount of fishing pressure year round a little break for her is not all bad!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3996 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:37 AM »
missed fishing pressure for a few weeks will make no difference it's a put and take lake .... but I'm thinking a low winter kill on both fish and deer , although I have killed a few squirrels and rabbits that I don't usually hunt when I'm on the ice ....and maybe not your first choice but there is ice to be fished you just have to research a bit and maybe drive .....this year the lurkers are starving because guys simply aren't giving up info .....

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3997 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:30 AM »
just checked the same area that i have been and  found that where there is no snow there can be 5in  to 3in of ice black and /white mix and some spots have layer of slush, where ever theres any snow at all about an inch of ice , so i guess a lil improvement but not safe but the snow is going away and suspect after this weekend it will be gone but no cold temps in forecast

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3998 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Just a friendly reminder fellers.......anybody fishing tomorrow use extreme caution wherever you fish.......williams park is very unpredictable ice wise.....watching guys parade out there and walking all over without spud in hand is a recipe for a swim......ice is ok in many spots but you need to try and avoid slushy areas and deepest drifts.......one wack with the spud and right thru in some of these spots....and believe me it can be a few feet from where you are sitting.......MACHINES SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ICE.......I am sure the rest of the lake is very similar as Oneida1 has said about the Chapman area......sylvan beach is fine......many spots can be accessed by experienced icefisherman using your head........not to mention this afternoon's sun and warmth will not help the situation......sorry for the long report but with it being the weekend I just don't want anyone to assume it is fine because there are guys out there........be safe and tight lines

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3999 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:49 PM »

Good reports guys , but there are some sleds out there from what I heard

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4000 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Good reports guys , but there are some sleds out there from what I heard
Sylvan Beach has had machines on it for a few days Freddy......there's some crazy shelf ice down there....this sun right now is going to make the beaten down trails down there a mess I'm afraid

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4001 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Its like spring time out, right now. Its showing rain tomorrow. I can hear Chris Farley saying "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST BRING ON WINTER ALREADY"
This winter, for an outdoor enthusiast absolutely sucks. All I want to do is go out of Apps on my wheeler, out a ways, sit in my flipover, fish, and stay out all day. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK, COME ON MOTHER NATURE WORK WITH ME!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4002 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:00 PM »
Its like spring time out, right now. Its showing rain tomorrow. I can hear Chris Farley saying "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST BRING ON WINTER ALREADY"
This winter, for an outdoor enthusiast absolutely sucks. All I want to do is go out of Apps on my wheeler, out a ways, sit in my flipover, fish, and stay out all day. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK, COME ON MOTHER NATURE WORK WITH ME!
AMEN

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4003 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:24 PM »
Tried to get off Lewis today. Made it past the shove but then found several spots where the spud would go through in one whack. From 5inches of good ice to almost nothing in just a couple steps

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4004 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:50 PM »
missed fishing pressure for a few weeks will make no difference it's a put and take lake .... but I'm thinking a low winter kill on both fish and deer , although I have killed a few squirrels and rabbits that I don't usually hunt when I'm on the ice ....and maybe not your first choice but there is ice to be fished you just have to research a bit and maybe drive .....this year the lurkers are starving because guys simply aren't giving up info .....
If you catch a few hundred less fish in the winter season there will be a lot more fish in the lake in the spring which will make for better fishing.  2+2 still equals 4.  Of course its a put and take lake with the walleyes (what about perch and other species?) but that is based on a longer period of time than a few weeks.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4005 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:19 PM »
Sylvan Beach has had machines on it for a few days Freddy......there's some crazy shelf ice down there....this sun right now is going to make the beaten down trails down there a mess I'm afraid
I’m enjoying myself , not a lot fish to show , but freezer was well stocked from the fall bite , so I chase these things I’ll get to Oneida at some point , or some place else for some perch

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4006 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:32 PM »
There were quite a few people off of Godfrey this morning. All but 1 shanty was gone when I checked at 3:30. I walked out 200' and could have about pushed my spud through the junk ice. Hopefully they make it off okay.

It was 47 degrees and even the black ice spots got really soft on top. Then rain tomorrow. Honestly it can only help smooth out this weird air gapped junk slush ice.

Nice fish Fred!

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4007 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Did Bartel rd bait and tackle close for good?  It is listed as permanently closed on google.  That is too bad if true, it was a nice shop/ people

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4008 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Nice fish Fred. ;D
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4009 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:22 PM »
to each there own but def saw people in areas that i would not try today areas with 1in of ice is really risky plus if u go threw then the 1st responders get put in danger just not worth it

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4010 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Did Bartel rd bait and tackle close for good?  It is listed as permanently closed on google.  That is too bad if true, it was a nice shop/ people
  reopened new owner in old location

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4011 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:33 PM »
I’m enjoying myself , not a lot fish to show , but freezer was well stocked from the fall bite , so I chase these things I’ll get to Oneida at some point , or some place else for some perch

nice brown trout fred

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4012 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:41 PM »

Bruce thanks for the report , you be careful  out there ,

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4013 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:35 PM »

nice fish young man.......hopefully the rain and warm temps will clean off the snow and next freeze up will make it better....very frustrating year to say the least

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4014 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:36 PM »
Bruce thanks for the report , you be careful  out there ,

My boots are staying off the ice for now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4015 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:48 PM »
My boots are staying off the ice for now.
👍

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4016 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Nice trout Fred! Thanks for the reports guys. I haven’t cut a hole yet this “winter” I’m hoping February is kinder to us.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4017 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:06 PM »
i had fun today 47 degrees and sunny .... good day  for me  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4018 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:01 PM »
Nice work Fred. Glad you had a pleasant day Trap.  I just got back from Minnesota but didnt get to fish...

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4019 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:25 PM »
BAD ICE   I know every one has an opinion on what acceptable ice should  be. And I'm sure I will ruffle a few feathers by saying this, but the weekend crowd is coming and that ice is dangerous and they need to know. Yesterday I went off Onieda  Shores County  park.  Walking on the wind blown areas was ok with about 3.5 to 5"  However, if you happen to walk into a 6" deep snowdrift plan on  things getting bad fast.  I poked my spud completely thru with one wack and I believe I could have kicked a hole thru with my boot, I left post haste.
  This am , I was one of the first few to venture out on Big Bay. I won't be there again soon,  I started on a good 5" near shore and it gradually detieriated and got thinner the further out I went. I like to move around a bit and did not feel safe there so I left,  Out about 200 yds it gets dark ,wet, and soft, and thin.
   I then rode down to Godfries point and thought I had found THE place to fish.  I unloaded the sled packed with enough lunch to cancel dinner and started out, Really looking forward to some fishing.  Out about 150 yds from shore I was standing on 1.5" again<could see water in front of me, and for the longest time I stood there trying to figure out how those 20 or so people got out to where they were.  There is a large wet crack that goes completely around the launch from shore to shore.  Those people out there had bigger ones than I do!  After that a ride down to the beach confirmed my suspitions  about that spot. A decent fellow was returning from the ice and told me of the day he just had,  A foot deep here, 2" over there,  owe and don't forget about the shove ice that the wind has piled up and your auger may not be long enough.
  I really am not trying to skair people away since we all just really have so much time to fish and I receive no benenfit from spreading these words.  I just don't want to hear about some fisherman on the news this weekend  please    please    please  be careful

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.