New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1039135 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #2820 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:21 AM »
Lmao!! 😂 Andy was trying to bait Release into going.... looks like a Release is finally getting wiser as he gets older!!!😜 Guess, I’ll unload my gear then!😁

i'll go ...pick me up   :roflmao:

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2821 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:05 AM »
You would have to park your sled/wheeler into the wind and anchor it down I bet or it would slide back. Then anchor your shanty so it doesn't move. Then just hope the farbic on your shanty doesn't blow out. I bet getting packed up would be a blast.

Good day for an Argo!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2822 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:58 AM »
You would have to park your sled/wheeler into the wind and anchor it down I bet or it would slide back. Then anchor your shanty so it doesn't move. Then just hope the farbic on your shanty doesn't blow out. I bet getting packed up would be a blast.

Good day for an Argo!
  Yes, no anchors needed !
   Bad day to take a small dog  .... anchors would be needed !  ...or it would be bye bye pooch!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2823 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:00 AM »
good day for a cold beer and a warm bar

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2824 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:04 AM »
x2...for sure :thumbsup:
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #2825 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:29 AM »
good day for a cold beer and a warm bar

My boss might frown on that...... but yeah good idea!!!

Offline FallAir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2826 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Hello All! I'm a NY transplant recently stationed here in Rome. Bought a house 6 minutes from the lake as I plan on retiring here. I started ice fishing for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love with it immediately. I've been a die-hard deer hunter my whole life and I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like more now.

I have been fishing out of Sylvan Beach mainly, but I really don't know my way around the lake well. Until a few weeks ago I had never jigged for fish, so I am green in that regard. If anyone has any tips they're willing to give on what lures/jigs to use or really any tips at all I'm all ears. I took my little one out with me the other day and luckily we found some perch. I can't seem to get on a walleye to save my life.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2827 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:28 AM »
My boss might frown on that...... but yeah good idea!!!

Liquid lunch.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2828 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:35 AM »
FallAir

Get yourself a decent flasher if you don't already have one. Everybody has their preference but a unit that allows you to zoom into the bottom helps, didn't realize what I was missing until I upgraded.

Buy an assortment of jigging raps, 2, 3 and 5's, a few pimples, Kastmasters and whatever else looks good to you. Tip them with a minnow head or perch eye and your good. Get the navionics app or a good gps that takes the navionics card. Then just start looking for structure and moving until you mark active fish. 

Offline FallAir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2829 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the input. I picked up a Garmin Stryker 4 with the ice ducer and absolutely love it. I've mainly been using raps in a #5 but I can't get many fish to commit. Blue and silver kastmaster has done ok. I'm curious how many guys use tungsten jigs with luck. I'll have to see if I can put navionics on my Stryker.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2830 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:21 PM »
being a newb to electronics, ive found myself wondering what i should do when i see a fish come up to my jig... i tried just holding it still, subtle movement, a few jigs.. couldnt really pin point any method that worked better than another... any input on this would be great, otherwise i'll just keep scratching my head!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2831 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:23 PM »
The striker 4 dose not take any map chip it only has a white screen that will track your path and can mark waypoints on it
Go big or go home

Offline FallAir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2832 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:24 PM »
The striker 4 dose not take any map chip it only has a white screen that will track your path and can mark waypoints on it

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Rickr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2833 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:41 PM »
U can get navionics on any smart phone

Offline FallAir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2834 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:43 PM »
U can get navionics on any smart phone

I did get that accomplished.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #2835 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Fallair rip that jig 2, 3 ,4 feet sometimes they like the aggressive jigging more than what you would think.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2836 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:52 PM »
With electronics you can try all different methods and see how the fish react. I usually start with an aggressive 2 foot high jig stroke then let it sit a few seconds then repeat. Sometimes they like when you shake it above them and then start reeling it up and they will chase it up and crush it. My main point is you can experiment different ways and watch the fish’s reaction.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2837 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:16 PM »
being a newb to electronics, ive found myself wondering what i should do when i see a fish come up to my jig... i tried just holding it still, subtle movement, a few jigs.. couldnt really pin point any method that worked better than another... any input on this would be great, otherwise i'll just keep scratching my head!
walleyes want the rap jumping all over the place.......they are predators and want their food moving.....jig it hard......then harder if they won't hit......sometimes they are just not going to hit so patience is a virtue when walleye fishing.....perch are a different story......dr. jekyll and mr. hyde.....some times they like it moving hard and sometimes not......small glow jigs with dropper fly with spikes is the ticket for perch....moved slowly....this all just from experiences......hope this helps

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #2838 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Yesterday the wife and I looked at a place for sale on the lake. Really liked the lot/location but not the camp itself so much. Maybe it's just a lot now! Holy wind city!   :woot:  :o

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2839 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:54 PM »
KP...I think you could get Fred out with a little convincing.....he’s liking the barometer.  Maybe fish North shore as the wind might not be quite as bad  :o
oh no, we fish in the high winds. 😁 I won’t go easy on him!!!!😜 the barometer looks really good. We should be out there!!!😁 Trap, I didn’t see you post till now. I’ll remember you next time I can’t get the ol buzzard to budge!!!!😂
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2840 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Yesterday the wife and I looked at a place for sale on the lake. Really liked the lot/location but not the camp itself so much. Maybe it's just a lot now! Holy wind city!   :woot:  :o
I got a guy who can put up a new cottage For you Dave!!!😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #2841 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:33 PM »
I got a guy who can put up a new cottage For you Dave!!!😁

We'd have way too much fun! Research high wind, roof designs...schedule completion around falleye time.  @)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2842 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Very helpful info Scout. Ill be at it again this weekend. If you're ever up in my neck of the woods let me know I'll put you on some trout or salmon and I'll put a beer in your hand too. This mid season lull leads me down to the green water... once we get into mid March to April I'll be on the blue water again

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2843 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:57 PM »
getting some snow on south shore approaching a foot

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2844 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:39 AM »
as oneida said.......at least a foot on the south shore.....hope the wind packed it down on the lake.....gonna be a beeotch for the wheelers

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2845 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:26 AM »
8"-10" of snow in Constantia. I bet it will be fine on the lake. Just tougher walking.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2846 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:29 AM »
6 to 10 at my house I just snow blowed

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2847 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Just heard tomorrows storm is going to be worse that yesterdays storm as far as snowfall amounts. Hope it’s fake news : /
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2848 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:18 AM »
yup ended up with about a foot, south of t-way got like 4in that lake effect band set up right on top of the lake

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2849 on: Feb 26, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Looks like it’s time to take out back up shanty and snowshoes and take a hike  damn wheeler kept me out of shape  :-\ :-\
walk on water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.