The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion (New) vs StrikeMaster Electric  (Read 15280 times)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ion (New) vs StrikeMaster Electric
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Some of you guys are speaking as though lithium-ion technology is brand new and untested. I use (and sometimes slightly abuse) lithium-ion power tools in my work--the same tools I purchased three years ago. Other than replacing brushes on a drill motor, I have had zero problems.

The light weight of lithium batteries and motors is enough to prevent me from ever going back to older technology--although there are many other reasons.

If I had the extra cash to spend, I would stand in line to get an ION auger.

I agree with you on the batteries, I have a Makita Li-ion 1/4" impact driver that is 6 years old and the batteries are fine yet. I keep it in the unheated garage all winter too.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 PM »
LOVE my StrikeMaster!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM »

If the Electra takes a regular Lead Acid battery, and the concern is run time on a standard 9ah battery....  why not just buy a bigger battery right off the hop..  you can get lead acid batteries the same physical dimensions as the 9ah in all different Amp Hour ratings..

Why not just bump up to a 22AH battery..  same physical size, still 12v.  You've more than doubled your available battery usage, and you have a brand new spare 9AH battery for a good back up, or a new spare for your flasher or whatever...

Just my 0.2's

That is not correct. The 9ah batteries are the same size as the 7 and 8. Once you get to 10ah the size changes. A 22ah is nearly twice the size of a 9ah and would not fit on the auger. I'm pretty sure a 10ah would not fit on the auger.

7, 8 and 9ah:
length: 5.94"
Width: 2.56"
Height: 3.72"

22ah
Length: 7.13"
Width: 3.03"
Height: 6.25"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:29 PM »
LOVE my StrikeMaster!!!

I agree, never once has my StrikeMaster fail me yet. Always charged and ready to punch holes. Our ice averages over 24" each season and it just keeps plugging away.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:18 AM »
yall are kinda forgetting he said in his post he has a bad shoulder so pull starting an auger may be out of the question for him.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2013, 11:40 AM »
The only thing i dont like about the Ion is the battery warranty of 1 year..
Kinda leaves me thinking that they dont trust them much longer than that.
I think 3 year warranty on them would have gone a LONG way to helping with sales.
It's not the battery they don't trust - it's the user that abuses that battery.  Been using a lithium ion battery on my IceGator for two season, going on three and it's awesome.
All I can say to those that are afraid of the cost -- ya gotta pay to play.  ;)
I'm considering the ION auger because of the lower weight over the Gator.  Just don't know if the drop in weight will be enough to help my back problems.  1/2" drill might be the way for me to go.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I am considering going to electric also. I am tired of all the problems with bad gas (ethanol) and the smell and hassles of mixing. I will never sell my old model 30 jiffy auger though, Just retire it. I am seriously looking to a nills with cordless drill to run it. So far it looks like rigid (lowes) has the best drill and a 3 year warrantee on battery. Bosch is second. I know I have to keep batteries warm. Also looking at 6" auger. Should get quite a few holes on 2 batteries. I  fished for years with a 6" hand auger and never had a problem getting fish through it. Maybe some other cordless motors out there that can be adapted too.  Steve

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:02 PM »
How much does an ice gator weigh? I would take the lithium ion gator in a second. That thing rips.
Fishin red lines

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2013, 04:11 AM »
How much does an ice gator weigh? I would take the lithium ion gator in a second. That thing rips.
Depends on the auger you mate with it. 
Some info in the thread for you.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Thanks, I would still get one. ;D If I didn't buy my Tanaka . At 20 lbs ...
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.