Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 824237 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1440 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:30 AM »
So I'm getting ready to build a sled. I just have a quick question. All you guys who are attaching wood to the skis, do you drill from the bottom of the ski up or from the wood down? If you drill from the bottom of the skis and connect to the wood, does the bolt or whatever you are using cause very much drag on the ice? And if you drill through the wood down into the ski how do you not go through the ski? I built something over the weekend using the binding holes and just left the binding on the ski. It works for carrying just a little bit of stuff, but I want to make the ski base wider and make it so I can carry more things. The use of wood seems like the best way to do that since I'm using just a milk crate now. Thanks.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1441 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Run the screws from the underside of the ski...

Counter sink the screws just past flush...

<°)))>{

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #1442 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Alright, that is kind of what I was thinking you were doing, just making sure before I started pre-drilling. Thanks.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1443 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1444 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Don't be stingy with the screws either. Use lots of them. also get 3-4in long.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1445 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:41 PM »
So I'm getting ready to build a sled. I just have a quick question. All you guys who are attaching wood to the skis, do you drill from the bottom of the ski up or from the wood down? If you drill from the bottom of the skis and connect to the wood, does the bolt or whatever you are using cause very much drag on the ice? And if you drill through the wood down into the ski how do you not go through the ski? I built something over the weekend using the binding holes and just left the binding on the ski. It works for carrying just a little bit of stuff, but I want to make the ski base wider and make it so I can carry more things. The use of wood seems like the best way to do that since I'm using just a milk crate now. Thanks.
Like others have said.......drill up from bottom of ski, countersink hole so screw head is flush with ski surface, 3" wood screws are sufficient, the "Original Smitty" still is holding strong with 3" screws......hope you have fun with your build, post a pic when you are done........Happy Holidays!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1446 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:34 PM »
Like others have said.......drill up from bottom of ski, countersink hole so screw head is flush with ski surface, 3" wood screws are sufficient, the "Original Smitty" still is holding strong with 3" screws......hope you have fun with your build, post a pic when you are done........Happy Holidays!!

What size of bolts did you use to go thru the X beams and down into the supports? Thx.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1447 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:42 PM »
What size of bolts did you use to go thru the X beams and down into the supports? Thx.
3/8" 3.5"L
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1448 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:39 PM »
I'm planning on building a smitty to be pulled by one of my machines....a snowmobile or rzr side by side.  I can't see where pulling the sled by the tips of the skis does anything special.

I didn't see an answer to this one so I'll take a shot at it.  I'd think it would mainly be a concern if you are using a rope to pull it.  Steering by pulling on the skis should be a lot easier than trying to pull it in another direction tied off to the supports or to your load.

Anyway, after reading this entire thread, I think some modified Smitty sleds are just what I need (another hat's off to Smitty).  I need something for when I can't or don't want to take my wheeler out.  I usually end up picking a fishing spot by how tired I am pulling a Fish Trap and Jet Sled out.  In the last couple of years there have been times I tried to drill holes in the parking lot.  Plus my plastic bottoms have holes worn in them from years of dragging them across parking lots, so this would be way cheaper than buying new stuff.

For those of you that have been using them for years now, how durable are the skis?  I don't want to add the extra weight and hassle of wheels if I don't have to.  If the skis will last a couple of years or so, I can always replace them as they get worn.  Has anyone made a lot of pulls across gravel or asphalt that can give me an idea of what to expect?

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1449 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:44 PM »
If you are pulling by machine you need considerable reinforcements from the original design. I'd also pull from the frame and not the skis

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1450 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:21 PM »
3/8" 3.5"L

Thx. I was leaning towards a 1/4" bolt but maybe I'll use 3/8 instead.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #1451 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Ok so another question. It seems all the sleds are built with 2x6 pieces of wood. So the bottom of the platform is about 6 inches from the ice/snow. Is height a big deal besides getting caught on snow/ice chunks? I was thinking of having mine be about 3 inches from the ground, but putting a sled in the middle between the skis and attaching it to the main platform for if there is a lot of weight on the skis it will rest on the sled under the platform and shouldn't get caught up and skip over any things that would catch on the frame. Thoughts?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #1452 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:16 PM »
Ok so another question. It seems all the sleds are built with 2x6 pieces of wood. So the bottom of the platform is about 6 inches from the ice/snow. Is height a big deal besides getting caught on snow/ice chunks? I was thinking of having mine be about 3 inches from the ground, but putting a sled in the middle between the skis and attaching it to the main platform for if there is a lot of weight on the skis it will rest on the sled under the platform and shouldn't get caught up and skip over any things that would catch on the frame. Thoughts?

The design is for dragging your stuff out while reducing friction the higher the better. 3" is better than 0. 
But your going to wish you went 6 after a snow storm drops 12" of snow.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1453 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I think Smitty used 2 by 4 for the supports that are screwed to the skis. I have heard of others using 2 by 8's. Is there any sort of consensus on this, based on experience?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1454 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:58 AM »
The design is for dragging your stuff out while reducing friction the higher the better. 3" is better than 0. 
But your going to wish you went 6 after a snow storm drops 12" of snow.

My "Smitty" works fine in any condition.........if there is a lot of snow, there usually is a trail made already on the ice by a snowmobile, I usually walk there......Tight Lines guys.....Keep the ideas coming

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1455 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Just got my first chance to test my Smitty Sled out yesterday and I was extremely impressed. Thank you so much for this Smitty! The lake I went to had what would have been nearly impossible to drag my sled out the old fashioned way, there was about 10" of snow on top of the ice and areas where there was nearly 6" of slush underneath the snow. I bring a Jet Sled XL that is pretty heavy when I fully load it, but it was incredibly easy to drag all my stuff even in the tough conditions. If you're thinking about making one, I would highly recommend just buying the kit, my materials ended up costing about $20, so buying Smitty's kit at $30 or whatever it was seems like a really reasonable price. Anyways thanks again Smitty, this will save my back this season as we have more snow predicted for Wednesday so I don't think I will be driving on the ice any time soon in the metro at least.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1456 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:26 PM »
I've tried to search it, but to no avail on my phone.. do you just rest your jet sled right on top of the cross beams? Or does it secure somehow? Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1457 on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Bungee straps and Eyebolts.
<===Lefty===

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1458 on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Bungee straps and Eyebolts.

Thank you!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1459 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Regarding weight distribution, side to side...

I have a very heavy, and long, Cabelas portable shanty.  No hard floor, just the tent, but its heavy.  I'm guessing it probably weighs 50lbs.  If I build my sled so I can lay that one one side, the other side would be much lighter.  My Nils, my jetsled and supplies, etc.  Does anyone see any issues with one side of their sled being much heavier than the other?  Maybe guys with a narrower sled bump into problems, but the wider sleds less so?   

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #1460 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:25 PM »
Regarding weight distribution, side to side...

I have a very heavy, and long, Cabelas portable shanty.  No hard floor, just the tent, but its heavy.  I'm guessing it probably weighs 50lbs.  If I build my sled so I can lay that one one side, the other side would be much lighter.  My Nils, my jetsled and supplies, etc.  Does anyone see any issues with one side of their sled being much heavier than the other?  Maybe guys with a narrower sled bump into problems, but the wider sleds less so?

I really haven't given any thought to weight distribution when loading my Smitty, I just pile it on so it fits and away we go. I think you will be fine if one side is loaded heavier than the other.

Here is mine with the Frabill Headquarters tent on the right side (weighs about 50#) and Jet Sled with some schtuff in it on the left side, goes fine - for me, absolutely effortless with this pair of non-union haulers  ;D)
 image hosting 12mb

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1461 on: Dec 28, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Just picked up a pair of skis at the salvation army for $7.50. can't wait to build this bad boy! I'm a newbie to ice fishing but I know damn well the gear will add up quickly. Anyone trim their skies down a bit? Mine are probably 5 1/2 foot long. Was thinking of triming down a bit so they fit into the Avalanche.
Rob

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1462 on: Dec 28, 2016, 05:39 PM »
i just made one but can't figure out how to post the pic !! but thanks smitty wife ordered me the kit for Christmas !!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1463 on: Dec 28, 2016, 05:47 PM »
i just made one but can't figure out how to post the pic !!

Read THIS and if you have questions, PM me.

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1464 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Thanks

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1465 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:45 PM »

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1466 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:35 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Did you chop down the length of your skis? What's the over all length?
Rob

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1467 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:19 PM »

Did you chop down the length of your skis? What's the over all length?

Those skis are not cut down...

As far as overall length, the longer the easier to pull...

<°)))>{

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1468 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:36 PM »

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1469 on: Dec 29, 2016, 05:16 PM »
The skis aren't cut, I got the kit Smitty !! Simple easy directions,less than an hour to build.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.