Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 824261 times)

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #510 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Do you think two inch blocks would be too short for snow?

I guess that depends on how much snow you get there. I made mine with 2x6's yet we normally get a bunch of snow on the lakes.

Matt

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #511 on: Jan 29, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I am thinking of something to leave under the slead as I fish. That is why I am thinking of keeping it short.  Here in this part of Indiana we get some snow but not all the time. I guess I will have to try it and see if I like it.
Gator Nation

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #512 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:46 PM »
With a 160# shanty, I can see why you would want to leave it on the sled. I do not know what kind of floor is in your predator but you might want to put a plywood floor on your sled so you do not break through.
   I have a Shappell s3000. I load it onto a sled with 6' down hill skis - it seems those are wider & slide easier than cross country skis. I keep my gear in a 32" long box that I have mounted a short set of skis onto & that sets on top of my Shappell while going out onto the ice. When I get out to fish, if it is nice, I will leave the shanty on the sled & just pull my gear box around & set on that. If it is nasty out, I will set up my shanty & pull the box inside. Two people can then set on it comfortably inside.
  I will post pics when I can get some one smarter than me to load pics for me.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #513 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Red rover...I would love to see some pics of that! My neighbor has the same shack as you do and has been looking for a new way to set it up.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #514 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Red rover...I would love to see some pics of that! My neighbor has the same shack as you do and has been looking for a new way to set it up.
x2...except I have the same shack too..lol

Matt

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #515 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:51 AM »
I'll take pics this weekend & get my son to post them.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #516 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:15 AM »
thanks man....much appreciated!!

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #517 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I mainly put the skis on my tub sled because the one lake I fish on has a lot of deep snow and slush.  Last year in the picture you can see that the snow melted off and there was very little left on the ice.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #518 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I mainly put the skis on my tub sled because the one lake I fish on has a lot of deep snow and slush.  Last year in the picture you can see that the snow melted off and there was very little left on the ice.

BOB
Nice downriverbob. Thankyou for the picture. love the view where your at too. Very jealous here. Wife walked by saying hey I like the snow mobile LOL Anyways I just want to leave the smitty sled under my tub I just wondered if a lot lower would effect its capabilities? Do you just strap the tub to the sled or is there a different way you keep it succoured?
Gator Nation

Offline jiggin jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "drillin holes & jiggin poles"
« Reply #519 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Made some mods to my sled this weekend

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #520 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 PM »

I built one this year. It is a bit bigger than the original and it doesn't break apart, but I built it to be pulled behind my RZR and follow in the tire tracks or I can pull it by hand. The bonus to this design is it makes a kick butt sled to pull the kids with in the field behind the house. It also fits perfectly in the bed of my Ram 2500 quad cab and still lets me close the access cover.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #521 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Great job you guys! Keep em' coming.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #522 on: Feb 01, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Here's a nod to just fines sled, musta been in the air that day. My buddy had a minute man that we did up into a sled box 39"x56"x18" then mounted the minute man on top. we had to cut 1 1/2" off bottom of poles to allow skin to hit framing then sheated outsides to pin it in place. we are gonna put a lid on the box not done as of yet. floor is 2"x2" frame with 1 1/2" foam board sandwiched between 1/4" oak plywood ( glued and screwed) walls are not sheated inside. this thing is a big one man and pulls easier than my scout.(!@#$%^&)and a little table top that fits on a 5 gallon bucketfarm fattys and deadondylan  If a mod could resize these I wouldn't hate it.?

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #523 on: Feb 01, 2012, 01:03 PM »
hmm now im thinking again, possibly converting our shappell s2000 onto a smitty platform and ditching the cheap plastic flooring...
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #524 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:57 PM »
looking good guys got mine painted catch hole cover and sleave done next flag pole some them ruber maid fasttrax on sides to hall auger and cook stove

HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #525 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:08 PM »

heres mine (red skis) and my little brothers with the black skis, trying to come up with a way to attactch the suitcase shanty to a platform possibly that comes apart and folds up like the shanty dose then attatches to the skis when mobile then you could leave it on the skis or take it off and set it up, i dont like the cheap plastic bottom but it works!
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline redrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Justfine, you have a really nice setup! Nice & portable.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #527 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Very cool setups guys!!! Here is Fishing on a Smitty sled with a Clam Scout TC setup in the "windblock" mode. You get to enjoy sitting up high, with more leg comfort. I only remove my Clam from the Smitty, if it is cold, and I need to fully enclose the shelter. Pulls like a dream. I put an eight ft lead of 550 paracord and a wooden dowel for a handle.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #528 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:30 PM »
nice sleds guys please keep posting them up love the ideas. ;D

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #529 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Had to send this back up to pg1, it's too good.

ASATMillerbluegill, how you're fishing out of your flipover/sled in that last picture is how I fish out of my Smittysled 99% of the time.  I put my sled in a pop-up blind so it becomes a big bench at that height.  Way easier on the knees.  What kind of seat are you using there?

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #530 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Free is always good! Let's see your sled when you are done.
Finally built my Smitty sled everything except paint saving that for summer. Can't wait to try it. Doesn't work good on carpet Hopefully we get some ice here in northeast Pa. but it don't look good.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #531 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:14 AM »
Crappiman, that is a dandy, I hope you get some ice too, our's here is melting fast, warm temps and rain yesterday. I still have not made it out. Thanks for sharing the pics, you will love it once you get to use it.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #532 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Crappiman, that is a dandy, I hope you get some ice too, our's here is melting fast, warm temps and rain yesterday. I still have not made it out. Thanks for sharing the pics, you will love it once you get to use it.
Yea Smitty, Its been a bad season for ice fishin. It took till mid Jan to get fishable ice and within one week of warm weather and rain.. it was gone. Some people are getting out farther north in pa.  If I do get out I won't need my shanty unless it gets really cold. so thinking about making two shorter cross members and finding a cheap or free sled. hopefully free.... so i can use it on warm days. Thanks again for the great DIY project it was fun and something to do during this bad season.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #533 on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:56 PM »
crappiman2... I like the idea of countersinking the nuts for the carriage bolts for the cross supports. I drilled my holes a bit too snug because I didn't want to lose the bolts, now I cannot get mine apart..lol. I am going to have to use a sledgehammer on mine because even though I use a pickup truck the majority of the time, would be nice to throw the sled into the car too.

I know some are probably wondering, why don't I just buy the right sized drill bit. Well the nearest hardware store is over 20 miles from home. I built it with what I had available on hand.

Matt

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #534 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Matt,
If you tap them apart using a "persuader" and a scrap block, you may be able to ream the holes a bit with your current drill bit. That way they be snug enough so there's no play but removeable. Next size up may cause some wobble.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline crappiman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #535 on: Feb 04, 2012, 02:13 PM »
crappiman2... I like the idea of countersinking the nuts for the carriage bolts for the cross supports. I drilled my holes a bit too snug because I didn't want to lose the bolts, now I cannot get mine apart..lol. I am going to have to use a sledgehammer on mine because even though I use a pickup truck the majority of the time, would be nice to throw the sled into the car too.

I know some are probably wondering, why don't I just buy the right sized drill bit. Well the nearest hardware store is over 20 miles from home. I built it with what I had available on hand.

Matt
Yea Matt I to first tried just making the carriage bolts snug, but when I pushed them in they would wobble and pop out .. so i deciced to secure them with nuts. To counter sink I used a 3/4 inch spade bit. drilled the depth of the nut about1/2 inch.. Hope this helps.   ;D

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #536 on: Feb 04, 2012, 03:04 PM »
I drilled the holes in the cross-beam so they would be snug with the bolts. Then I put the cross-beams in place and drilled the holes in the upright 2X6's . Then I took the cross-beams off and re-drilled the holes in the cross-beams larger so the bolts would slip in and out easily. They go in easily, but when taking apart the left and right end of the cross-beam don't always come out at the same time and will bind. I just have to go slow and work each side a little bit at a time until they come all the way apart. But the sled pulls like there is nothing behind me...even through snow.
jbird68

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #537 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Yea Matt I to first tried just making the carriage bolts snug, but when I pushed them in they would wobble and pop out .. so i deciced to secure them with nuts. To counter sink I used a 3/4 inch spade bit. drilled the depth of the nut about1/2 inch.. Hope this helps.   ;D

I am heading out fishing tomorrow, yet will work on the sled on Monday and will install those nuts on the carriage bolts like you did. Main reason I made the holes so dang tight was I didn't want the bolts to come out and lose one or a few. I have a tendency to lose stuff at times..lol. Anyways, with the nuts holding the bolts on the 2x4, then I can ream out the holes a bit bigger without too much worries about losing them.

Also thanks to mjmeyer and jbird68 for the extra and useful advice.

Yes I do agree fully on how nice the sled pulls. I had it out the other day and it pulled so nice I even slid the shanty on top of it and used the smitty sled to move it to other fishing spots. It was not windy, I would not recommend this method on windy days for obvious reasons.

My sled uses a bit wider cross braces, almost 4 feet. I have a few ideas on how to use the extra width and if they do not work out, I can always make it narrower if needed.

Matt

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #538 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Thanks Matt, Smitty and all the others! I got my skis Saturday and will be building my own Smitty Sled, although it may need wheels, too.
Great ideas and designs here. I'll post my pictures when I have it together. It may never be truly finished after looking at all the modifications.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #539 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:45 AM »
Wheels are great.  I use mine to pull wood around my yard since we dont have any snow or ice here this winter.  I even took it for a ride down my driveway! 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.