Author Topic: Hobo dinners- my kids love 'em  (Read 3123 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Hobo dinners- my kids love 'em
« on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Simply take your chicken (frozen is OK), beef, pork, whatever...  Take some heavy aluminum foil and double it up.  Put the meat in the center and add veggies, seasoning, oil or butter.  Seal the foil tight at the top.  Make one for each person.  Build a fire on the lake and when the coals are hot lay the packages next to the coals.  Rotate occasionally.  they will be cooked in 45 minutes to an hour and a half (depending on fire size and size of packages).  No plates- simply throw away the foil.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hobo dinners- my kids love 'em
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2004, 06:41 PM »
Sounds good icy Mike!  Actually, this will be the first year that I will be bringing along the Coleman stove and attempting to prepare something abit more interesting than P & J sandwiches, cookies and drinks! ;D   

Although, your "Hobo dinner sounds delicious, I think our first hot meal on the ice will consist of previously prepared soup (of which we will add freshly caught perch fillets)! ;) 

Seriously, after all the years ice fishing, we are really looking forward to this.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2004, 05:05 AM »
baginwal, we cook ourselves quite a meal usually on the ice and you know how everything just tastes better being cooked in a shanty

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2004, 09:46 AM »
A couple of my favorites on the ice are a good spicy chili.Or I'll saute peppers/onions and cook hot sausage at home the night before,Then put the sausage and p/o in one of those disposable aluminum pans with tin foil over the top,and just heat it up on the colman stove on the ice.Bring some grinder rolls and mustard.(delicious) :o

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2004, 12:08 PM »
I like to bring the ol' coleman stove as well from time to time.  But there is just something about having a small fire out on the ice.  A little tip if cooking over and open fire with pots and pans.  Before you leave smear the bottom of the pots and pans with liquid dish soap.  The soot from the fire will clean off much, MUCH easier.  This also helps when using old stoves that don't burn too well.

When I bring the stove I like to get to the lake early.  I set up the stove, put on coffee to perk and then set up the shack, drill holes, set up tip-ups, etc...  By the time I'm ready to fish the coffee is done.  Then the bacon and eggs hit the skillet.  Oh yeah, a tip for eggs.  Crack them into a container BEFORE you leave home.  You can pour out as many as you need when cooking.

I also like to bring enough to share with other anglers I may meet on the ice (i.e. bring extra food, coffee cup, plate, etc).  The guy you share with may have good information he is willing to part with for a price.  And hot coffee is gold on the ice ;).

Icy Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.