Author Topic: Dead ATV due to cold weather  (Read 3539 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Dead ATV due to cold weather
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:35 PM »
2015? clean your slow circuits on the carb.
Remove the bowl and see if any sediment is in the bottom?
If so, pull the slow jets and clean em out.
Most of the time an engine won't start when it's cold because the fuel won't vaporize. Too much fuel per air with no vapor.
Also check spark quality? Is the spark weak?
No mice in air filter?
Once it starts when it's cold outside do you have to leave the choke on? Leaving the choke on means the slow circuits are clogged.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I will add that atvs from factory are tuned on the lean side so if it gets really cold the engine will be leaned out even more.basically starving for fuel in really cold temps.a tweak on the fuel screw for more fuel may work,i had a honda 200s that would start first pull all year until winter or i heated up the engine with a heater.i ended up jetting it with bigger jets to run in winter.i also had a minibike that i converted into a ice racer that had to be jetted for winter.idk just a suggestion.my little suzuki lt125 quad is a winter runner it has a choke and a primer.the primer is great for winter starts.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:30 PM »
All great advice except the 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 is fuel injected so you will have a very difficult time locating a carb!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:37 PM »
All great advice except the 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 is fuel injected so you will have a very difficult time locating a carb!

Is that kinda like the VW bug radiator?   :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:39 PM »

HAHAHA yeah....i was letting that slide. Just so people know, I do not have a choke either.

I am going to purchase a Yausa battery and I mistakenly typed trickle charger when I do own a battery tender (i own 2 actually).

I am also debating on purchasing a power pack to jump it if I need to. My only worry is the power pack could loose energy from it being out in the cold as well. Thinking about buying a small enough one to put underneath my Elite Ti Fish Finder (where the 2 utility boxes are), that way it's in the shack with me and it's with me when I am charging the fish finder.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:42 PM »
And for more of a backstory of Tuesday night....

At first, I could not get the engine to even try to turn over.

After a few tries, I started having that try and I could see on my display that I had low voltage on my battery.

After putting it under the shack, I could tell that my battery had more juice, and then it started.

I figured it was just a bad battery and I need to purchase a better one. I did learn that a cold relay could cause the same problem so thank you for that.
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:07 PM »
oops didnt read that part.lol all my crap is old.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:09 PM »
Is that kinda like the VW bug radiator?   :roflmao:
hey chong had one on his vw in the movie up in smoke.that wasnt factoree?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:10 PM »
HAHAHA yeah....i was letting that slide. Just so people know, I do not have a choke either.

I am going to purchase a Yausa battery and I mistakenly typed trickle charger when I do own a battery tender (i own 2 actually).

I am also debating on purchasing a power pack to jump it if I need to. My only worry is the power pack could loose energy from it being out in the cold as well. Thinking about buying a small enough one to put underneath my Elite Ti Fish Finder (where the 2 utility boxes are), that way it's in the shack with me and it's with me when I am charging the fish finder.

If you buy an AGM battery just make sure your battery tender chargers are rated for AGM service or get one that is recommended by the battery manufacturer. If Polaris makes a snowmobile with an 850 motor I would bet it is the same or very close motor to yours. Find the part numbers for your starter relay and see if the snowmobile one is at all different, like designed for extreme cold weather.
I had a Polaris 800 RZR and it never had these issues but when it did become hard starting in the cold I traced the issue to faulty connectors that had some corrosion inside the plastic and unsealed plugs. Just a quick cleaning with contact spray cleaner and a toothbrush did the trick and I slathered them with electrical connector grease.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Ok heck you need a good fully charged battery for the electronic fuel injection to even work properly.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:28 PM »

My jump pac is about the size of a smart phone and will fit in an inside pocket of my coat. 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Ok heck you need a good fully charged battery for the electronic fuel injection to even work properly.

Quite right Doc! When the key is turned to start the first place the battery juice goes to is the EFI pump and then to the actual starter motor. If the pump is not flowing hard enough to atomize the fuel then good luck getting it fired up. I do believe the dealer has the ECU plug in tester that would easily tell the EFI is not getting full or enough juice which would tell the mechanic to check the connections like I just did. Think about this. We have the technology to send manned flights to the moon and further but when you attach your trailer to your truck we have a stupid little Flat 4 wire plug connector that is almost always faulty or filled with dirt, bugs or has some other corrosion and your trailer lights or blinkers won't work. I know for sure that Polaris and probably most other makers use the cheapest garbage plug connectors they can find. The plug connectors on my Kubota tractor are worlds apart and have rubber waterproof seals like our ATVs and snowmobiles should have

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2021, 03:24 PM »
I went out fishing on Super Bowl Sunday with my 2018 Kodiak 700 (fuel injected), I go to the lake access at 10AM, it was -10F (after a 45 drive trailering it behind the truck. It started without issue, although maybe cranked a bit slow. by the time I got unloaded and loaded up my fishing gear and got to my spot, it has been running for a good 30min. I fished for 2hrs, started the machine and it cranked a bit slow again but did fire up, let it run for about 10min. Fished for another 2.5hrs and went to start packing up and the machine would crank over but noticeably slower and wouldnt fire and every so often while trying to start it, I think the relay was having an issue, it would make almost a buzzing noise. The temp never got above 0 and there was a breezy that the machine was sitting in while out on the ice.

Luckliy for me, someone was within a 1/4mile with jumper cables with his ATV. as soon as he connected them to my machine, fired right up

the following day, I ordered 1 of the small mini jump packs (size a cell phone) that is able to give a boost. I went out this past weekend and temps were very similar, never had an issue starting this time, although I did make it a point to start it every 90 minutes and let if run 10minutes while I was out and also parked it behind the flipover shack to block the wind

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2021, 11:51 PM »
In at owners manual it says to run non-ethanol gas as it gums everything up, it's been cold 0-15 degrees in Perry and my Yamaha Grizzly starts every time and it's a 11 years old .
McPerch

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:45 AM »
In at owners manual it says to run non-ethanol gas as it gums everything up, it's been cold 0-15 degrees in Perry and my Yamaha Grizzly starts every time and it's a 11 years old .

I only run non-ethanol in my toys.
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:04 AM »

You must have a different manual...

Actual quote from 2015 Polaris 850 Sportsman owners manual:

"Do not use fuel with ethanol content greater than 10%, such as E-85 fuel."

Says the same thing in my 2016 (135 E-Tec HO) Evinrude manual. Also specifies 87 octane, not premium, for that motor.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:11 AM »
 Those machines dont like certain weather conditions, the Polaris forums are full of stories just like this...

No one that I have seen has mentioned( that I saw, if they did I apologize) engine oil.. 0-W40 synthetic goes a long way towards making those things crank over in sub zero weather..

why Polaris put the battery down in the snow and ice ( or mud and water) low on the frame is a mystery, that alone contributes to many battery related issues... Yuasa is a motorcycle standard battery... Nothing wrong with interstates.. an onboard battery maintainer is a very useful tool. just plug in your machine at the end of the day..

one of the most common problem with those Polaris ATV's is the fuel pump and main power  relays dont  like cold weather, windy conditions and single numbers seem to be it's nemesis,carry a spare,  they are a pain to get at, but even if you remove the relay, put it ion your pocket to warm it up and then plug it in, the machine will usually fire right up.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:15 AM »
You must have a different manual...

Actual quote from 2015 Polaris 850 Sportsman owners manual:

"Do not use fuel with ethanol content greater than 10%, such as E-85 fuel."

Says the same thing in my 2016 (135 E-Tec HO) Evinrude manual. Also specifies 87 octane, not premium for that motor.

All of the more recent manuals say what yours says. With Non E fuel being rather scarce in most places it makes sense. Truth be known though, most engine manufacturers would be happy to say stay as far away from ethanol fuels as you can. All of the 2 cycle small engine MFrs sell their own brand of pre mixed Non E and highly recommend you only use their fuel in Stihl and Husky saws and other lawn equipment. My 11,000 KWH home generator had a starting problem while under warranty. The shop repaired it by cleaning the crap out of the carb that was left by the garbage fuel and told me to run only Non E in it if I want it to be ready when needed. 6 years now with only Non E fuel and fires right up even after sitting for 6 months untouched.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #48 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:18 AM »
All of the more recent manuals say what yours says. With Non E fuel being rather scarce in most places it makes sense. Truth be known though, most engine manufacturers would be happy to say stay as far away from ethanol fuels as you can. All of the 2 cycle small engine MFrs sell their own brand of pre mixed Non E and highly recommend you only use their fuel in Stihl and Husky saws and other lawn equipment. My 11,000 KWH home generator had a starting problem while under warranty. The shop repaired it by cleaning the crap out of the carb that was left by the garbage fuel and told me to run only Non E in it if I want it to be ready when needed. 6 years now with only Non E fuel and fires right up even after sitting for 6 months untouched.

Just like stuff did in the "old days" before bunny pi$$ gas.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:25 AM »
I did learn that a cold relay could cause the same problem so thank you for that.

I think the efi models start in a rich mode that doesn't shut off till engine warms up and computer shuts it off. When you start it cold, let it run for a minute or two and then give it a little more throttle or ride it until it warms up then let it sit. Don't let it sit and idle long or idle a little then shut it off.

Also EFI machines don't like ANY throttle prior to starting. You can also foul a plug if they get too much gas. I know its common nature to give it a little gas to get it to start but you can't do that with EFI machines as they will flood super easy. They take a little bit longer to fire/start compared to a carb, but the EFI machines should always start.

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:03 AM »
My mistake I ment non-ethanol gas , sorry my wording was wrong I guess that's why you preview.  Sorry again :%$#!:
McPerch

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Here are some tricks that have helped me in the cold:

1)  AGM or lithium battery
2)  Fresh non-corn/eth premium fuel that has been treated with Sea Form or some other "drying" agent
3)  Battery maintained with a trickle charger when the machine is not in use
4)  Periodic start and run of the machine in really cold weather
5)  Not parking into the wind on cold windy days

Hope this helps.
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.