Author Topic: Lets find some ice  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
Lets find some ice
« on: Jan 04, 2022, 12:38 PM »
I hope everybody had a great christmas (lots of fishing stuff) and the new year is off to a good start...Now lets find some ice ,It was 18 degrees in my yard this morning,lets hope it freezes soon.

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lets find some ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:33 PM »
keeping em crossed for next weekend! going to be frigid early next week

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:31 PM »
I certainly hope so the days are going to start to get longer here soon

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:43 PM »
Its not looking too good so far. Been cold only a few days and warming up later this week.

Offline gchis423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:43 PM »
Let’s not be negative. Our opportunities are limited. Next week looks good for the ice

Offline Sreed7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:55 AM »
Anyone been out scouting yet? I live down in South Jersey and haven't gotten to do any scouting just yet but this cold snap has me hopeful.

Offline gchis423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:41 AM »
I may check around today or tomorrow but the wind may be cutting up whatever ice starts to form

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:58 AM »
The usual first ice spots will be good to go this weekend. Hopatcong state park was locked up on Saturday so the wind won't affect it. anything that is open water won't be ready with the wind

Offline indeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:36 AM »
My lake must be safe I checked it on Sunday and had 2.5 inches!   :icefish:

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:55 AM »
I have been out and checked turn Mill Pond and prosper Town Lake both are wet in the middle light skin ice on the edges with this cold snap we might see little ice here I'm thinking I'm going to have to go north though a power a purpose

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:25 AM »
we've been ice fishing since last saturday,  some shallow lakes border of morris and sussex county and north and west have 4-5 inches.  other places have deceivingly thin ice still... too many variables, just have to check with safety equipment.

Offline ScalyKnuckles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Sketchy stuff everywhere I've poked around in Middlesex county. Too much temp fluctuation and wind. I think the Morris county and Sussex county early spots will be getting very close if they're not safe already.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2022, 09:26 PM »
Hmmm, I live in the South East Pa, Delaware, New Jersey tri-state area. I'm originally from Pa but now live outside of Wilmington. When frozen as in now I find myself ice fishing in Gloucester and Salem Counties. These counties are dotted with a plethora of small lakes and ponds of various sizes. When frozen like now this is the closest ice fishing to my locale. I was out yesterday on a lake outside of Mulica Hill and had had it all to myself, same thing last week. The ice is 10" with 3" of frozen soup on top. The fishing has been slow so far. I've bagged some real fat perch and a mess of gills, no crappie yet. I've also caught bass and pickerel. I've been fishing South jersey for 7 yrs now and the fishing is as good or better than anywhere close in Pa. I'm not interested in Delaware, tried it once 5 yr ago and wasn't impressed. The closest lake fishable water in Pa from me are over twice as far as the Jersey action and there is no other anglers present almost 98% of the time. Maybe I'll see you out there someday.  :o :tipup: :tipup: ::)
ttt

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:37 PM »
I think most people in Jersey avoid South Jersey figure and it's warmer and there's no ice but when it's cold we get good ice and as you said there's some real nice little ponds and lakes down through Salem and Cumberland County

Offline Sreed7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Hmmm, I live in the South East Pa, Delaware, New Jersey tri-state area. I'm originally from Pa but now live outside of Wilmington. When frozen as in now I find myself ice fishing in Gloucester and Salem Counties. These counties are dotted with a plethora of small lakes and ponds of various sizes. When frozen like now this is the closest ice fishing to my locale. I was out yesterday on a lake outside of Mulica Hill and had had it all to myself, same thing last week. The ice is 10" with 3" of frozen soup on top. The fishing has been slow so far. I've bagged some real fat perch and a mess of gills, no crappie yet. I've also caught bass and pickerel. I've been fishing South jersey for 7 yrs now and the fishing is as good or better than anywhere close in Pa. I'm not interested in Delaware, tried it once 5 yr ago and wasn't impressed. The closest lake fishable water in Pa from me are over twice as far as the Jersey action and there is no other anglers present almost 98% of the time. Maybe I'll see you out there someday.  :o :tipup: :tipup: ::)

Mind me asking what lake you were on outside Mullica Hill? I live right down the street but haven't ventured out on any local ponds just because the temps have been all over the place. I used to live in CT and have a ton of ice fishing stuff that's collecting dust. Going to be headed to NH soon for some lake trout but would love to get some perch/crappie after work a few days.

Offline Old Spud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:18 AM »
I think most people in Jersey avoid South Jersey figure and it's warmer and there's no ice but when it's cold we get good ice and as you said there's some real nice little ponds and lakes down through Salem and Cumberland County
I can remember a number of years ago when we still had real winters I used to run down to Collens cove on the mullica to jig white perch( I live in sussex). I will say that salt water ice is kind of eerie to be on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.