Author Topic: ice report North NJ  (Read 2826 times)

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
ice report North NJ
« on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:42 AM »
So this weekend this is what I have seen some spots on the lakes snow was hard and some soft and some spots you broke through the top of the snow and wet under snow. Just be careful my son's friend and his father went for a very cold dip on Sat they are ok. But it was a spot that I walked over about 20 times  the week before.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Re: ice report North NJ
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:48 AM »
What did anyone else see you don't have to name lakes

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:31 AM »
fished a shallow lake that still had 7" of black ice under the snow. similar experience as you with parts of the snow being compacted and frozen and other parts with soft snow. Anywhere we drilled that had soft snow the water would come up on the ice and make a sloppy mess. The ice being underwater is not a good thing and will weaken it. The single digit nights this week will help things immensely and i am hoping to get on bigger water this weekend.  things have frozen extremely weird this year. Spud spud spud

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:46 AM »
There’s still a layer of slush where I’m fishing today but the crust on top is getting better. I didn’t fish Thursday and Friday but a few of my buddies did and when that top layer started giving way in the afternoon they started falling in. You can’t see the old holes, sometimes you put a foot through sometimes you go in up to your armpits through a drain hole the size of a car hood. I think the 3 of them fell in all the way 6 times.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Place I was fishing had very deep snow so water was pushed up from the weight, very crusty extremely difficult to walk. Now that it has that much on top of it & 7-10”” only of ice , it’s schetchy . In 5 hours my 6” hole went to at least 8” & it was very cold out.
The ice is too welll insulated now

Offline Muskytracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:25 AM »
Sketchy. Some spots were a solid 5-6” other spots were two separate layers with water in between as to be expected, but I also came across several spots with only about 1” of ice.

Be careful

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2021, 03:34 PM »
  I hit wawayanda saturday, decent amount of people, most of lake was wind swept,plenty of ice. Getting on the ice was the problem. Big drifts blown up on beach made walking hard until it packed down from the people traffic and a few snowmobilers . As  always windy as heck. Lou ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Great job guys this will help anyone that is going to try to fish knowing what's ahead of them!

Offline Say When

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Thank you all, your reports are greatly appreciated. My son and I are going to be fishing this weekend, we will keep checking reports and of course spud our way out.

Thanks again..... Bill

Offline HighEndHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:03 AM »
Yesterday I fished the state park, there’s a lot of frozen snow on top of 6-7” of black ice. The snow was mostly frozen I should say, I would break through and fall down to the black ice layer in some spots, and some spots it was just wet slushy soup. Went to another very small pond only about 15 mins away. Saw another guy out so I figured it was safe, I should know better. I hit wet on the first strike of the spud, and broke through on the second. It was only 3” of soft white cloudy garbage ice. Needless to say I yelled out to the guy and hurried off. More snow forecasted today, but real cold temps coming up. Great season for me so far as long as you pick and choose your spots.

Offline lech

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Anybody fish lake hopatcong Post office spot lately? How is the ice condition there? Is it possible to access that place?

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:28 PM »
Saw  2 groups on pompton lake today and yesterday.Was 4-5 " of ice before storm im sure its not fun to walk out as we got another 5-6"snow on top of the 28" of snow.I knew i had snow shoes for a reason.By the way beach buggy sand wagons DO NOT work in snow.

Offline Icehoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Im going to try Mt. Hope Pond Tomorrow.....
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Going to try Mt Hope pond tomorrow. I will be more than happy to share any information on how I do, I thought that what this site was for?

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2021, 08:50 AM »
So I checked around again more spots are hard and some are soft watch a guy on my lake walk hit a soft spot and was up past his knees . We got 7 more inches from the past snows up hear it suck big time!!!!

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Anybody fish lake hopatcong Post office spot lately? How is the ice condition there? Is it possible to access that place?

wondering the same i know you cant park at the post office or the restaurant next door but i know guys fish that area, i have no idea where they are parking though

Offline woodworks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:50 AM »
Hit my spot on Tuesday, small lake near the Del Water gap, had about 2 inches of snow, not bad walking, then most spots i went thru 2 inches of ice, then an inch of water, then 4-6 inches of ice under that, a few spots were solid ice all the way for about 7-8 inches. All in all felt pretty solid, but kept the PFD on and the picks at the ready.
So i jumped ship in Tibet..............

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Wayway good ice under a foot or so of snow no problems walking on ice you stayed on top.Cold and windy always the same.Ll salmon and slime darts were biting.

Offline Brappp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:45 PM »
Any word on green turtle pond ?

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2021, 06:31 AM »
You need the right truck.Probably get down problem is getting back up the hill.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Any word on green turtle pond ?
Yea.  Its not really safe yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.