The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: OK Day on Ashmere  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
OK Day on Ashmere
« on: Dec 24, 2021, 04:29 PM »
 I drove down to Hinsdale to fish Lake Ashmere from about 9:15 AM to 2:15 PM.

The weather was overcast, blessedly windless and cold (16 when I got there and 23 when I left).

There was a couple inches of fluffy snow on top of 3 to 4 inches of ice.

Fishing was so-so: I ended up with one 13" bass (on a tip up) and ten 5" - 10" perch (two on tip ups and the rest jigging),

I finally had a decent meal on the ice for the first time this season:  diced chicken breast sauteed in olive oil and dandelion wine with sliced vegetables and a mix of sofrito and recaito sauces, a bottle of Smithwicks red ale, aloo mattar (potatoes and green peas curry) and fruit compote (plums, cherries and a blackberry brandy sauce) for dessert).

I also skiied the length of the pond to work off my meal.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: OK Day on Ashmere
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Damn, didn’t think that Ashmere would ice up with the all the wind.  Glad to hear you got out and had a good day on the ice.  Looking to head to Savoy tomorrow.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OK Day on Ashmere'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Damn, didn’t think that Ashmere would ice up with the all the wind.  Glad to hear you got out and had a good day on the ice.  Looking to head to Savoy tomorrow.

Good luck!  I'm going to try Highland Lake/DAR in Goshen tomorrow myself, but if that doesn't work (ie., not enough ice), I'll probably back track to either Plainfield or K of C Pond.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2021, 04:55 PM »
DAR wasnt safe enough for me on xmas eve prob worse now.

Offline FishBeater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2021, 05:01 PM »
I was thinking of taking a trip up that way tomorrow or the following day but wasn’t sure about ice quality. I was going to check Buckley Dunton but have wanted to try Ashmere Lake, any advice for public access areas to get on Ashmere? Would appreciate any insight, or if anyone knows if Buckley has ice

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:56 AM »
I heard on Friday that Buckley Dutton was open.  Don’t know if its any better now. 

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:59 AM »
There’s parking right passed the bottle neck of the two sides of ashmere.  If you’re headed north parking is on the left and main body of the lake is on the right.  Oh ya the road is Route 143. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.