Author Topic: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022  (Read 52397 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022
« Reply #300 on: Dec 09, 2021, 06:49 AM »
My buddy just got his. Sent me a pic of the box and I saw that it came with two batteries. I was jelous lol. 3' feet of ice ezpz.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #301 on: Dec 10, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Dec 10, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I ran an Ion G2 last year and was extremely happy with it.  A weekend of run an gun on 20 plus inches and 0 degrees F and I couldn't drain the battery, wish I woulda counted the holes. The battery seems to hold up to the cold quite well unlike some of the cordless drill batteries.  The cordless drill setup is definitely nice and lighter but this G2 is great.  I purchased the power adapter for it too this year so im curious if ill be able to drill holes and run my shack lights all day without killing the battery.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Dec 10, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Has anyone has their hands on the Frabill VYPR aerated tipup yet? It looks like they are really reaching for a product that is practical. Maybe it's good but I'm pretty skeptical on this one.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/150584/frabill-vypr-aerated-tip-up

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #304 on: Dec 10, 2021, 12:33 PM »
That Vypr tip-up does look interesting. I don't use tip-ups much anymore though. I would like to see how long the batteries last on the aerator/light combo. Initially I thought it had built-in hook storage for extra hooks/extras, but it looks to just be the battery compartment. My luck is that I end up getting cut off by a pike and my tackle box with hooks is 50 yards away in my hut... A smart man would just take the tackle box with them, but I am not that man....

This was my comment on the VYPR from over the summer. I haven't seen a review yet on how long the battery lasts, but I also have not looked for one yet since I rarely use tip-ups anymore. I feel like it might be decent for folks that still use tip-ups when it's super duper cold to keep the hole from freezing over, but that's about it.

If anyone wants to send one to me so I can do a review, I would be up for it....

EDIT: I just watched the 2 videos that popped up on YouTube when I searched for it. One was put out by Frabill, so it didn't really say much except for "Buy this! It's new!". The other was a longer review by a dude that just bought/received one. It seems like a neat concept. I like the idea of the in-line spool for light biting fish. The light seems like it would be bright enough to see at a decent distance, but the whole unit is a hair over 4 inches tall, so it might be hard to see if there's more than that amount of snow. The flag is only a foot tall, which could make it hard to see at a distance if there's a good amount of snow. The aerator seems like a gimmick. The lights and aerator run on two D-cell batteries, which I have not had great luck with in cold weather(like ice fishing....). He didn't mention a run time on the batteries when using the aerator non-stop. I would like it more if it had rechargeable batteries, since D-cell batteries could get pricey if you are running a few of these at a time.

Overall, my impression is that the VYPR could be neat if you live in an area that gets super cold and you need to keep the holes open more often. I could see tossing a few tip-ups in a permanent shanty since weight is much less of an issue. A guy pulling 4 or 5 of these out by hand might not be using them as much.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #305 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Way to go 13Fishing.

Absolutely no info on it, but there it was on the retail shelf at the local store.  Omen Ice casting 32" rod in Medium power.  This is probably one of the best production ice rod in a baitcasting set up.  Sure will give the St. Croix Mojo Ice direct competition.  However it won't because the St. Croix comes in a MH and H power rods only.  It will give the old Fenwick Elite Tech 27" M power casting rod a pushover.

Key Features
J36T Blank
Evolve Ported Reel Seat
Portuguese 3A SG Full Grip Cork Handle
Evolve Stainless Steel Guides with Titanium Inserts.

As usual I measure all the retail ones up and picked the one that was the longest by 1/4" or so.  I need to put a reel on it to test it out for torsion feel.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #306 on: Dec 11, 2021, 04:35 AM »
St. Croix Premier Ice rods are back and updated for 2021-22 = same rod on combo from 2020

Well  it's about time, but seems like years too late.  It's basically the same as just when they 86 them out and brought in the Mojo Ice rods.  However checking the Medium power rods the flex load is different from the old original version even when they made them with the same reel seat going back to the 36" and 42" models.  The old original ones are like a + power and have like an Xtra fast tip action.  Basically almost no flex.  The painted aqua blue color (I'm naming it) has more forgiveness and probably closer to an industry medium power.

I would've easily bought a few of these, like 10 yrs ago.  Nowadays there's just way too many good rods offered by everyone else.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #307 on: Dec 11, 2021, 04:50 AM »
I got to physically handle the new 36" MH power Ugly Stick Elite ice rod model at the retail store.  Very nice update and finally the best Ugly Stick models for ice fishing as of yet.  At a retail of about $40 compared to the 36" Ugly Stick Dock Runner at $15 and almost identical performance, it's ho hum fuzzy numb feeling only.  The updated reel seat split handle is probably the best feature.  The 4 line guides plus tip isn't too bad and looks to offer a smooth line flow.  Gotta love Ugly Sticks for their tough durability design.

Offline bullbream

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I just grabbed the FLX30BB unit that I’m pretty excited about. I was running a lowrance hook 2 ice unit which was kinda sad. I’ve never own a Vexilar before but after looking at all their  series, it was either the 28 or the 30 was the way to go. It’s probably over kill I guess but if I was going to spend some money on a good unit, I’d figured I’d get the most out of it. Bass pro had it for about 50$ less then what a have seen it for.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #310 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:13 PM »
When I buy something, I look at price, quality and customer service.  Since most stuff is made in china, quality is almost out the window these days.  Amped outdoors has a good price, but their customer service is second to none.  I know personally because I did have one battery go bad.  Buy what you like, I'm not saying what to do, but Matt at Amped is outstanding and have my business for batteries.... every time I had a question or issue, I had an answer within an hour.  That is good enough for me.
Everyone has their stories and so be it.  All I can do is relay my experiences ...

D

I'll 2nd that Matt at Amped Outdoors has great customer service. Talked to him yesterday afternoon about a battery issue, got an email early this morning showing me a replacement is on the way.

The next time I need a battery, Amped Outdoors will get my business. (Currently using 2 of his batteries)

Offline Getting Jiggy with it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Dec 24, 2021, 09:27 PM »
How is the sizing with the Eskimo Flag Chaser pants? Trying to decide between the xL or the L and not able to try them on,   I'm normally a 36 in jeans.  I guess same question regarding the Legend bibs,   how true to the size chart are they?  if i measure with a 40" waist and (36"jeans) would the XL be too big and baggy?
Thanks for any input. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Dec 24, 2021, 10:09 PM »
I like the looks of the new helix shuttle. It would look great on my helix 9. Only 400 dollars and it doesn’t come with the recommended anorak battery. That’s another 250 bucks. I know inflation sucks but **censored**.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Feb 26, 2022, 09:29 AM »
It has always amazed me, whether we’re talking about augers or heaters or rods and reels, that people will spend good hard earned money on brand new unproven products. Companies like Mr Heater that have 27 gazillion happy customers and maybe a handful of haters, always convince people to try the new one. It’s just downright strange. I know this is just a post of an alternative product but just watch how many people will tell you how good it is that I’ve never seen one.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #315 on: Feb 26, 2022, 11:04 AM »
It has always amazed me, whether we’re talking about augers or heaters or rods and reels, that people will spend good hard earned money on brand new unproven products. Companies like Mr Heater that have 27 gazillion happy customers and maybe a handful of haters, always convince people to try the new one. It’s just downright strange. I know this is just a post of an alternative product but just watch how many people will tell you how good it is that I’ve never seen one.

Yeap, that's why I look into a very specific detail about the product.  If someone is just posting a generalized report, it's a pass.  I'm actually looking for feedback that actually involves someone with a specific measurable report.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Feb 26, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Hardwater, I love the Snow dog.  What does that run compared to a snowmobile?

Snowdogs here are right around $4K and I highly doubt you could get the hard sided one with reverse and the sled for under $5K. I have the B13 standard model for 3 years now and absolutely love it. All I had to do was stud the track with Kold Kutter Ice screws and the machine is an absolute pulling mule in every condition except deep slush. I look like a train going across the lake while pulling my giant Otter Pro Resort plus 2 Two man Clam Nanooks and a tag along equipment sled and it never even notices the weight I am pulling unless we have deep and wet snow.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #317 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:33 AM »

I don't know a single person in real life that actually likes their buddy heater, just Internet folks  :whistle:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:56 AM »
Being here on this forum probably makes me and most of us "Internet Folks"! I am "Real Life" though and I love my Buddy heater. Yes, they can be finicky until you learn how to operate it and keep the pilot flame from blowing out. My original little buddy single tank unit is now over 10 years old and has never once failed me. I fashioned a cook top to it and we have nice hot foil wrapped sandwiches every time we fish while it also heats the shanty. I have never needed to clean the lines or do any maintenance at all except to glue and tape some of the plastic parts that get beat to death if I drive too fast on bumpy ice. I never have used anything but the pre filled tanks and maybe this is why my pipes remain clean while those who refill them without the filters have some issues. I have learned by trial to get it up off the ice so any wind coming in under the canvas won't blow the pilot out. A buddy dropped his heater pretty hard and did break the ceramic and I think that kills the heater.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #319 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:04 AM »
Since I've gotten a buddy bag for the buddy heater, I have no problems with it.  It's all part of the take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.  I will also say that I only paid like 70 bucks for my big buddy and seeing the price of current, I'm glad I went with that.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #320 on: Mar 07, 2022, 01:16 PM »

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Mar 07, 2022, 04:17 PM »
I'm already working on new gear for next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.