Author Topic: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022  (Read 52401 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: NEW ICE GEAR 2021/2022
« Reply #90 on: Aug 16, 2021, 08:46 AM »
The new Rapala knife is outstanding and sets the bar for sure!  Best I've ever used.  I'll be doing a video review of it on m YT channel soon.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:11 AM »
Striker released their new winter line of suits and accessories.  The lightweight Apex suit looks killer, but a little bit of sticker shock...

https://strikerbrands.com/collections/new-arrivals

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Aug 17, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Striker released their new winter line of suits and accessories.  The lightweight Apex suit looks killer, but a little bit of sticker shock...

https://strikerbrands.com/collections/new-arrivals

All that NASA technology must be expensive. Nice to see the innovation, but would agree the price is a bit of a shock. I think Striker is going to have to occupy that "premium" space, it sounds like a lot of other companies are going to be releasing float suits this year, and I would assume the suits from Ice Runner, Wind Rider, and Nordic Legend would be price point leaders.
I would say it's kind of weird seeing Striker advertise their suits this year as the "2022 Winter Collection", I hope my suit from the 2019 (2018?) collection will be good enough for a few more years.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #93 on: Aug 17, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Strikers lineup of suits is hard to keep up with.they change names suit names every year it seems.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Aug 17, 2021, 01:44 PM »
One purchase I regret somewhat is buying the whole Hardwater suit a couple years ago.  I should've just bought the bibs.  I rarely wear the jacket and it usually sits in the truck, unused.  I find the bibs along with proper layering and a heavy, hooded sweatshirt keep me plenty warm.  At least for how I fish.  Next time, just the bibs for me.   I have Guidewear for open water fishing, so no use there, either. 

Back on topic...maybe not "new" ice gear, but I picked up a Frabill 446720 fanny pack/hand muff at an Ace hardware store in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago.  A quick search shows they seem to be discontinued from Frabill, but there seems to be a few around.  It should be a nice option for those lightweight/jigging trips.  Plenty of storage pockets, a handwarmer, etc.  Essentially a small tackle box with fanny pack capabilities.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Aug 17, 2021, 01:52 PM »
One purchase I regret somewhat is buying the whole Hardwater suit a couple years ago.  I should've just bought the bibs.  I rarely wear the jacket and it usually sits in the truck, unused.  I find the bibs along with proper layering and a heavy, hooded sweatshirt keep me plenty warm.  At least for how I fish.  Next time, just the bibs for me.   I have Guidewear for open water fishing, so no use there, either.

yeah I think it comes down to how each person fishes, but I'm right there with you.   I have the Climate suit and even with both jacket and bibs lining removed, I wasn't using the jacket a whole lot.  Mostly due to the bulk.  That's why I think a lighter suit that is still warm could be a winner.   

Also take a look at the Renegade pullover.  It's a nice addition to bibs only as it's heavier than a sweatshirt, but lighter than a jacket but durable and waterproof and zippered sides should make for easy on and off.   https://strikerbrands.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/renegade-pullover-charcoal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #96 on: Aug 17, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Predator suit here ...have the Climate suit as well ...way to much for my area...I just wear the Predator bibs on most days ...last season I even got a pair of the Trekker bibs for early and late ice. I like the Renegade pullover...and its zippered pocket ...thinking a USB hand warmer in there. I even sent SI a message for an idea to move that pocket further up the chest so us bib wearers only folk could rest our cold hands...plus a heater storage ...Similar to wading hoodies I have seen made by Mossy Oak .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #97 on: Aug 17, 2021, 03:21 PM »
Yeah the hardwater suit is too hot.i got one i wore once and another brand new set as i got the suits for cheap.i still have my original striker lite suit and i still do not wear the jacket often.stitching is unraveled all over it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #98 on: Aug 17, 2021, 04:48 PM »
 I have a climate and a guardian and both are holding up well , but I find the guardian worked all last winter as coldest it got was only -9*
 the climate is very warm so it hardly sees any action
  remember we all have a different tolerance to heat and cold

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:12 PM »
I have some plain Clam bibs uninsulated and a Guide Gear Parka from Sportsmans Guide.  Start out walking out on the lake with the Parka and take it off almost right away. Never put it back on the rest of the day. That is all but one day when it was -23 Degrees. -11 when I  left. Parka's are just too hot for me.
<===Lefty===

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Aug 17, 2021, 08:41 PM »
I have some plain Clam bibs uninsulated and a Guide Gear Parka from Sportsmans Guide.  Start out walking out on the lake with the Parka and take it off almost right away. Never put it back on the rest of the day. That is all but one day when it was -23 Degrees. -11 when I  left. Parka's are just too hot for me.
I have the Guide Gear bibs, and an insulated “ski” jacket with attached hood I picked up at a thrift store for $5.00! I’m toasty at -23, and take it off when I get to my fishing spot. It stays off most of the day, even though I fish without a shelter. I’m a firm believer in Army Surplus and the Thrift Stores for warm and functional clothing at a steal price. I’d like al Float Suit, but not at $800 plus! Maybe I’ll find one sometime, used at the Thrift Store!  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Aug 18, 2021, 08:49 AM »
I use my FXR snowmobile gear for fishing, it's got the float tech in it but it's heavy and I as well almost never use the jacket while fishing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Aug 18, 2021, 09:07 AM »
                                                  UP ON CLAMS WEBSITE AS I TYPE

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Aug 18, 2021, 10:16 AM »
I wondered how long the super insulated suit craze would last. I had the itch when Gander had the sale but after trying one on I realized it was so heavy I’d probably have a stroke carrying it to my truck! Holy cow they’re heavy.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #104 on: Aug 18, 2021, 04:15 PM »
I’m surprised with the tech and materials we have today they would make them that heavy.

I got a set of camo bibs and coat from Artic Armour when they came out. Still going strong and warm. A good hoodie under the bibs and jacket I’m fine and it’s light weight.

If it gets to cold to fish in that….then it’s just simply to cold to fish because your hole freezes over to fast. At those temps….I’m sitting in the hard side watching the TV & underwater camera.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Aug 18, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Funny, I still have my old Arctic Armour too. Terribly clammy and stiff, but they do work. I do like the Trekker bibs I bought. Light and plenty warm.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Aug 18, 2021, 11:13 PM »
New 20,000 btu heater option from Flame King...
https://flameking.com/product/ysn-chs20/

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Aug 19, 2021, 08:55 AM »
New 20,000 btu heater option from Flame King...
https://flameking.com/product/ysn-chs20/

LONG LASTING: Lasts up to 1 hour on a single propane bottle and up to 2 hours on two 1 lb propane bottles (bottles not included) at a 20,000 BTU output. Suitable for outdoor use only.

Over kill?

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Aug 19, 2021, 08:59 AM »
yeah I think it comes down to how each person fishes, but I'm right there with you.   I have the Climate suit and even with both jacket and bibs lining removed, I wasn't using the jacket a whole lot.  Mostly due to the bulk.  That's why I think a lighter suit that is still warm could be a winner.   

Also take a look at the Renegade pullover.  It's a nice addition to bibs only as it's heavier than a sweatshirt, but lighter than a jacket but durable and waterproof and zippered sides should make for easy on and off.   https://strikerbrands.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/renegade-pullover-charcoal

I have the Predator and Hardwater suits, and almost always just wear the bibs. The coats are just too bulky for me to fish in. I’ve been trying to find the perfect hoodie for a couple years.

I’ve been wanting to find one of these on sale to try:
https://store.blackfishgear.com/gale-pullover.html

But, I’m now looking very hard at the Striker Renegade pullover. Thanks for the link.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #110 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:14 AM »
I have the Predator and Hardwater suits, and almost always just wear the bibs. The coats are just too bulky for me to fish in. I’ve been trying to find the perfect hoodie for a couple years.

I’ve been wanting to find one of these on sale to try:
https://store.blackfishgear.com/gale-pullover.html

But, I’m now looking very hard at the Striker Renegade pullover. Thanks for the link.

I was in the same boat couple seasons back ...I have tons of hoodies ..none of them fit the bill ..I liked the soft shell jacket of my Climate jacket ...but no hood and was a lil constrictive..think ski wear . I have a  nylon Clam jacket that I used one season light weight and warm with a hood . I ended up finding a  Sportsman Guide Guide Gear Soft Shell jacket with a detachable hood ..wore that all last season . I may have solved my problem..but that Renegade hoodie looks sweet.

They sold out ..but should they come back it may be worth a look . Pictures may not load but the specs do

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-men039s-softshell-jacket?a=2167170

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:46 AM »
I must be the last guy on the planet to fish in plain old clothes instead of NASA approved, astronaut grade, uberfluordonium hybrid, everything-proof, self-washing material suits 🤣

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:58 AM »
I must be the last guy on the planet to fish in plain old clothes instead of NASA approved, astronaut grade, uberfluordonium hybrid, everything-proof, self-washing material suits 🤣

So that makes 2 of us.  Walls insulated bibs with a hoody and quilted flannel jacket.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Aug 19, 2021, 10:59 AM »
So that makes 2 of us.  Walls insulated bibs with a hoody and quilted flannel jacket.
I just wear a Walls hooded jacket with a long sleeve shirt or sweater and just jeans with long johns, or lined jeans if it's really cold.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:00 PM »
LONG LASTING: Lasts up to 1 hour on a single propane bottle and up to 2 hours on two 1 lb propane bottles (bottles not included) at a 20,000 BTU output. Suitable for outdoor use only.

Over kill?

That Heater uses more fuel than the space shuttle if those specs are not a typo!   Maybe Flameking thinks they will sell more refillable bottles that way, You'll need em!  :roflmao:

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:24 PM »

Over kill?
Probably! Buy it has a thermostat dial for temp adjustment compared to the "lo-med-hi" temperature adjustment on the Big Buddy heater. The 1 hour-1lb bottle run time would be with the thermostat turned to the highest setting, meaning you would most likely get a little longer run time with the thermostat turned down lower. Just another option for a portable heater is all. I just figured I hadn't seen it posted here yet and it might fill a need for the people who dislike the other options available for portable heaters in this price range.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:29 PM »
I knew I seen it before

https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Portable-Propane-Infrared-Thermostat/dp/B0747XP6DD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098KNTVBW/ref=sbl_dpx_B098KNTVBW_0
I wonder what the price was on the Martin heater? From what I hear on the Flame King version, the 10,000 btu will run around $100, and the 20,000 btu will be around $160.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Aug 19, 2021, 04:17 PM »

i don't get it, you mean insulated float suits?  i let the moths have my old carhartts.. actually they might still be defrosting after i used them in some slush 8 years ago.

franks had a great deal on the trekker suit yesterday if anyone is interested.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Aug 19, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Nope permanent house at 72 degrees- light jeans and tshirt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.