Author Topic: 1st snowmobile purchase  (Read 3961 times)

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
1st snowmobile purchase
« on: Oct 07, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Alright people, I’m looking for help. I want to purchase a used sled but have no idea what to look for. Liquid, fan, air cooled?  Track width? Are these things more of a hassle than it’s worth as far as maintenance?  Or is that a thing of the past?  I haven’t ridden one since I was a kid, prob 30 years ago. I want one for ice fishing, but who knows where else that might lead. I originally wanted a Polaris sportsman, and still do eventually. But I want to get started this year on the cheap just to see how much I’d actually use it before I’d consider spending that kind of money. Right now I want practical. Pull my flip over and a partner to places I wouldn’t want to walk to. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

What would I want to look for?  Does it really matter based on my use?

I can get a 07 Phazer for about $2500. Low miles and well taken care of. I know the seller. This sled looks goofy to me. Would it work?  I really didn’t want to spend that much but will just because I know it’s mechanically sound. This doesn’t look like a good one for what I want but I can’t tell you why. Damn, someone needs to point me in the right direction. Haha

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1st snowmobile purchase
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2017, 03:40 PM »
 if it's just for fishing and you get enough snow go with air cooled, long track.  something like a tundra or bravo.  you shouldn't have to spend more than $1500 to get a sled that will do the job.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2017, 03:44 PM »
I have an 07 Polaris 340 edge touring. Any snowmobile will work fine. The only suggestions I have for you are, if your wanting to have someone ride along get one with a 2 up seat. At least where I live you can get a ticket if 2 people are riding and it's not a 2 up seat. Also get a fan cool the liquids need snow blowing under it to keep cool. Also the smaller the cc the less weight. Good luck on your purchase and anything is better than dragging.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2017, 03:58 PM »
There's some good info & sled suggestions in this thread - https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334193.0

Good luck with your decision & keep us posted !!

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2017, 08:58 AM »
So I thought liquid cooled was the better option until I come to this forum. Sounds more like fan cooled is the choice for lakes. Also sounds like I’m overthinking this thing a bit.

I guess I prob don’t plan on traveling as much as a lot of people on here do. I don’t really see myself needing to ride more than 3-4 miles at a time. Maybe I’m wrong. In this case, does the cooling system still impact your purchase? 

I know I have some stupid questions here, just looking for real opinions from real users. Thanks for the help.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Fan cooled is preferable for ice fishing but I've had 2 liquids and they come with either a temp gauge or red light/over heat indicator. I've had to pull over on occasion to let it cool either because it was too warm and I was carrying a load or there was not enough snow to cool the heat exchangers. Someone who pays attention can avoid ruining their sled (knock on wood). Don't have to worry about it with fan cooled.
If you want something on the cheap, I wouldn't worry about the cooling system as much as I would form and function. If you find a clean, 2-up seat, long track with a rack of some sorts and ice picks with hand warmers or reverse/electric start. Just think of those things that could cost you later. But I would like to think you could find a machine from the mid 90's era in good running condition for under a $1000.
It must be something in the water.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:54 AM »
When purchasing a snowmobile for ice fishing you really have to think of the conditions you will be using it. For example if you fish in low snow areas and you plan on traveling slow 10-15 mph you better stay with a fan. If you run in deeper snow and will be moving faster then a liquid cooled will work. Biggest miss conception people have with liguid cooled is if the snow you are traveling on is not getting thrown up in the tunnel the sled will overheat even if its -20 below. Of course ice scratchers help with hard snow conditions but you still need to be moving fast enough for snow to get in the tunnel. I have ran a liguid cooled sled for 6 years with no issues you just have to understand how to keep them cool. Lots of people run fans to eliminate this issue.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:30 AM »
My sled is strictly an icefishing machine and wind-blown ice is typical in my area also... Reliability should be number one! I went with fan-cooled sled and have scratchers to help keep the sliders lubricate. My scatchers are Duraflex, getting up in age and absent mind from time to time... Also getting older, a few health issues, electric start and reverse are really nice. A few mods to meet your needs will make it a sweet ride for icefishing.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:31 AM »
My ice fishing sled was a 1994 Skidoo safari 377 .. I paid 450 CAD for it. I put about 100 into it, cleaned the carbs really well and it ran great.
Great machine. Started up and ran great. My only regret was not getting reverse. Over time it became a royal PITA taking it off the trailer. I sold it this summer. Sold my old ATV as well - big bear 350.
This winter I have a new kit .. 2015 Grizzly 700.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I have used skidoo tundra for about 15 years. It is the best I have ever had. Had a 440 super jag. It was o.k but too heavy. A lot of guys up here have the " super duper fuel injected.100 mph" sleds. I don't have the money for one and would not buy one if I did. My son used a Yamaha 340 "ditch banger" for years. It held us well.then he found a bravo. It gives my tundra a real good run for the money. Bottom line is, our sleds are strictly utilitarian. They do all we ask and as reliable as can be. Keep it simple.keep it light. Stay away from "overflow". Getting stuck in that is the worse thing you can do on a frozen lake.  Steve

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Thanks OP for this thread! I too plan on picking up a sled and the information here has been helpful. :)

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2017, 12:11 PM »
My ice fishing sled was a 1994 Skidoo safari 377 .. I paid 450 CAD for it. I put about 100 into it, cleaned the carbs really well and it ran great.
Great machine. Started up and ran great. My only regret was not getting reverse. Over time it became a royal PITA taking it off the trailer......

I have a 1989 Yamaha Phaser that I paid 500 bucks for several years ago and have put about that much into it over the years and it runs really well.  It doesn't have reverse but I have slide glides on the trailer and can pull if off with one hand.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Great info here. Thanks a lot for the responses!

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Found a ‘98 Polaris Indy 500 I’m going with. Cheap and good shape. Figured it will do the trick to get started.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Found a ‘98 Polaris Indy 500 I’m going with. Cheap and good shape. Figured it will do the trick to get started.
That most likely has the 488 FUJI engine. It is well known to be bullet proof. I recently sold a '96 indy classic 500 for $600. It had 12,000 miles, never rebuilt and was still running strong. Good luck with your purchase.
It must be something in the water.

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I have a 1989 Yamaha Phaser that I paid 500 bucks for several years ago and have put about that much into it over the years and it runs really well.  It doesn't have reverse but I have slide glides on the trailer and can pull if off with one hand.

Ironically enough I installed some plastic sliders (an old plastic box liner) on my double ski-doo trailer so it would be easier to sell.
It was always my intention to add plastic to the trailer but it took me awhile to find an old box liner where I live.

Now I have my 2015 grizzly and a newer enclosed trailer .. I am really looking forward to getting out this winter.
Don't get me wrong .. I love my boat in warm weather more. ;-)

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2017, 11:10 PM »
I just picked up my first snowmobile. Wasn't really looking but they had some great deals on Arctic Cat 2016 Lynx 2000LT. I still have an older Polaris Indy that has worked great but I really like the new higher and much much softer ride on the Cat. The new unit is fan cooled with reverse and heaters like the other and my hitch should work on the new unit for pulling the tent and otter sled.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Looks very nice! Enjoy!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I will be looking at possibly my first ice fishing sled for sale today, its a 2003 arctic cat 660 four stroke 2up, any info from previous owners of this sled would appreciate it.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.