Author Topic: How to keep auger from going through the ice?  (Read 6900 times)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to keep auger from going through the ice?
« on: Nov 03, 2019, 07:42 PM »
I'm using an auger bit from a Mora hand auger with my Ridgid Octane hammer drill and I'm wondering what you guys use to keep the bit from ending up on the bottom of the lake if it comes loose? I see the K drill has some flotation, and I think one of the others has a circular disc wider than the bit, but my hand auger bit has neither.

Any ideas?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: How to keep auger from going through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Yet another reason i use the clam plate..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2019, 07:51 PM »
kovacs ice master adapter uses a bungee cord. works great.
http://icemasteradapter.com/

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Frisbee used like a big washer. Although the one I use on my Mora has a free spinning rectangle metal piece that is used.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:23 AM »
I use a wooden disc on each of my augers. I bought a couple of round plaques from a craft store, drilled a hole in the center just large enough to fit over the auger shaft then secured it with 2 hose clamps on each side of it. Works for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:48 AM »

Ditto.

Having said that, you can always just check the chuck every 4-5 holes. It literally takes 1 second and costs absolutely nothing. To be honest, I’d worry more about the wingnut attaching the auger to the adapter loosening more than I would the chuck loosening. That happened more times than I could count before getting the clam plate. I use a Lazer and an Eskimo shaver on a Milwaukee M18 Fuel. No one ever thinks to check the wingnut until you (almost) learn the hardway.

Also, these beefy drills we have now a days produce some beefy torque as well. Your wingnut will eventually start to bend under an immense prolonged application such as drilling a butt load of holes for a season or two. The metal used to make them is super soft. Just something to keep an eye on that no one ever mentions. You can replace it with an appropriately sized harder bolt though and maybe some loctite. I did all of these things before just getting the clam plate. If you have $70 you can spend on gear, I really don’t think you’ll regret it. Some people just don’t like them but I think it’s mostly due to price. I guarantee if they were 30 bucks, every drill-auger using ice angler would own one and love it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:56 AM »
On a standard keyed chucks I've always tightened all three key holes. If there's a suitable tool handy the key gets 3 - 4 good taps. On the ice I had a piece 1/8 pipe I could slip over the key handle and get additional leverage. Never had a drill come loose. For adapters with through bolts I always replaced with an Allen head bolt long enough to add a nylock nut on the other side. I even did that on my gas augers after I had one loosen up a couple times.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:28 AM »
I have a 7 in lazer with nim-rod augers adapter. I made a 8 in round disc out of 1/4 in thick plexiglass, it was a srape piece from work. Drilled hole in middle with a step drill to fit adapter shaft. And then went to local hardware store and got 2 shaft collars, they only cost about 4 bucks for 2 of them. Blue loctite all set screws and bolts. The disc saved the augers from going to the bottom of lake many times. Also the disc keeps the drill off of the ice when not in use. I run a 5 in and 7 in lazer on this setup.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:27 AM »

I personally don’t want the extra $80 spent and 5 lbs I don’t need.  To each his own.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Im still ahead running a cheap mora auger and plate over the $$ of a kdrill.about even in price between the 2 setups.mine weighing more tho..i wouldnt run a plate with a kdrill either  plus it has floatation built in.i might buy a kdrill,strikemaster lite flite or Eskimo pistol someday but prices need to go down first.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2019, 10:04 AM »
I made an adapter to replace my M18 Fuel and Mud Mixer chucks. Than attached the Eskimo ION Quick Release adapter. Can quickly change drill bits, ice anchor adapter etc. Mostly use the Fuel drill.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I have a little mantra I chant in the shower every morning.

Milwaukee Fuel, use a Clam plate.
Ridgid Octane, use a Kovac adaptor.

(repeat as necessary)
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:03 PM »
I'm using a 20 year old mora.................. ...................... .figure when the dang thing sinks to the bottom of the lake, it will be the perfect excuse to upgrade!  ;)

Of course, I have been using it for 3 years now and never had the Milwaukee chuck loosen up!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking DIY, but I like the look of that Kovac.

A couple nights with forecasted temps in the teens this week, time to pull the muskrat traps and get ready for some ice fishing!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2019, 04:01 PM »
you could drill from the other side of the ice, then if it fell off it would be on top of the ice
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Clam plate. I used to have. 6” Lazer. It now resides at the bottom of a lake. I will be getting it back with a high powered magnet someday!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:58 AM »
just make a plate like said.  Plexiglas Frisbee bucket lid plywood............... .. anything laying around.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:27 PM »

Strikemaster plate, drilled out to fit Kdrill. The plate cost $4.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:39 PM »
a frisbee
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Don’t cheap out on the adapter. Got a cheap one initially made of aluminum. Should have known better. The aluminum crushed, lost a new 8” auger to the bottom. Got lucky with a magnet and rope and got it back.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:56 PM »
just make a plate like said.  Plexiglas Frisbee bucket lid plywood............... .. anything laying around.

Doesn't even need to be circular---I attached a loos fitting U bolt to a short piece of 2 x1 wood----and Bob's yer uncle!

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:48 PM »
X2 with the kovacs ice master adapter. It's small, doesn't get in the way, and the bungee cord prevents the auger from falling off.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:36 PM »
X2 with the kovacs ice master adapter. It's small, doesn't get in the way, and the bungee cord prevents the auger from falling off.

X3
The Kovacs adapter works very well and is less bulky than the circular adapters.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Just ordered the Kovac. Got 12% cash back ordering from Cabelas, looks like I'll be out on the ice in less than a week!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2019, 02:35 PM »
I have and like the kovac adapter for my smaller 4” to 6” augers but I prefer the clam plate for my 8” setup.a few reasons..keep my drill out of the snow,not breaking my side handle off my drill,injuring myself and like the control with the plate.kovac for my small auger works great and the best designed adapter imo.small and works with wing nut or old screw in type augers.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2019, 10:52 PM »
X3
The Kovacs adapter works very well and is less bulky than the circular adapters.

This
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:34 AM »
I also use the kovac adapter with my ridgid
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.