Author Topic: Finickey gills  (Read 5466 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
Finickey gills
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:29 PM »
what size jig should i use for finickey gills? Smaller bait? Less jigging? ??? :tipup:
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline copper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Finickey gills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:05 AM »
I take a small bare hook no jig and tip it with a wax worm and let it float to the bottom.  No split shot.  It takes awhile to get the bait down but it is worth it.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:24 AM »
Hard to tell sometimes the nicer gills actually take a # 10 better than a #14. So ya gotta experiment.

On the movement side, if jigging brings 'em in continuing with a nervous jiggle will sometimes get 'em to bite and sometimes a dead stick is the way to go, there's just no hard set rule ya gotta play with 'em to see what works.

Trial and error is usually the name of the game in finding out what triggers the fish on a certain day..

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Agree, bigger, smaller, different color, plain hook, different bait, lighter line, etc. Learnig how to basically jig in place helps. 1/8" (or less) movements, like quivering in place sometimes is the ticket, even 2" lift/drops can turn them away. Just need to keep trying things until it's figured out on what they want.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:59 AM »
For example yesterday, I'm sight fishin' in 6 fow so I can see what's goin' on. I started with #10 Demon/waxies my usual bluegill bait on this body of water, the bigger gills would only come in and kiss the jig not taking it. So I switched to #12 Genz Worm same color (Orange/Chartreuse) w/waxies and they started sucking it in. This presentation was fairly productive for a few hours then they stopped taking it. Tried the Demon again no luck. Knowing that Black has worked for me in the past on cloudy days, I then switched to a black backed/white bellied Fiskas Wolfram #12 hook w/ spikes and they started inhaling it again. Ya never know and ya just gotta keep tryin', remembering what has worked in the past at that lake can speed the process.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline chasbart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:22 PM »
Can anyone help me with the problem of a lure spinning?  I know the fish will not hit a lure [dot or whatever] that is spinning.  It is like the movement scares them and I believe it happens more than people think so they don`t catch fish.  I thought I had it solved with Fireline but even it has a memory off the reel.  I usually fish in 10 to 15 fow.  Someone must have solved this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Allow the lure to spin above the water before you drop it in will help some if ya have lots of twist.

Pounding the lure continuously (a nervous jiggle) will help keep the lure from spinning.

Ripping the head off a waxie and pushing the hook of horizontal jig into the cavity will help reduce spinning. (So the waxie is laying horizontal, so to say)

Ya can't get rid of it completely but these tricks will reduce the amount of time it requires to stop spinning.

Hope this helps.

- - George Carlin

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Take a pill,THE GILL PILL,size 14,two mags,and call me in the morning.The CAPT.

Offline chasbart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Thanks, Quack.  I do everything except the decapitation trick, I will try that.  I have also "stretched" the line between my fingers and that helps straighten it.  In addition, the knot has to be in the middle of the hook eye and I check that.  Sometimes the way the the bait is on the hook helps the line to spin.  I have been working on this spinning problem, as you can see, but I thought I might not be seeing the forest for the trees.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2008, 03:33 PM »
#14 tiped with half a spike or full spike that usually does the trick!!!!!! :tipup: :afro:

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2008, 12:35 PM »
When they are extremely tough to bite I'll go down even to a #16 plain hook tipped with a single spike.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Quack got it with the spin  :) I'll drop it down until I am several feet above the fish, then I'll let it sit there for a few moments before begining the drop again. Other times I'll use a very slow drop (if the water isn't too deep). What I like to do also is to tie the line onto a fixed object, usually the night before, and strip off about 25'-30' and then pull the line tight and "stretch" it a bit. Then, when I reel it back on, I'll untie it from whatever I tied it on and then hold the rod with my hand wrapped around the blank and hold the line between my thumb and forefinger lightly while reeling it back onto the spool. Doesn't eliminate spin but I have found this trick helps to minimize it for me.
And from what I have seen and read this year....as captain said, give'em the PILL
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline chasbart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Thanks Scavengerj for your help!  I have been stretching the line like you said and I have noticed the kinks are basically gone.  I think all these things help.  Where the he## do I get the pill??  On line or in stores?  Sounds like I need some!!

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:26 PM »
            I  solved that jig spinning problem by asking the same question in this web site.  I was told to not dwar my knot down tight on the jig eye.  Leave it hang loose with a little loop between the knot and the jig eye.  I tried it in the swimming pool and the jig head did not spin.  This  will now be my new set up for pan fishing.  Try it it really works.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:30 PM »
I have two gill slayers that I like to use, one is a marmish magot, on a marmish rod to feel ever little sniff, the second is flutter or fairy jigs, those tiny little blades really draw them in, and the jig is just small enought to be sucked in

Offline KTapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:25 PM »
I had a problem with finicky gills today.. I put a small small trout fly on and tipped it with a waxie head= problem solved.

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:51 AM »
There are those times that the fish are not cooperative..Makes for a tough day, but even the best go home empty handed some days.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Tough days require sizing down, and slowing it down ... along with presice jigging action.  Small marmooska with a few spikes is hands down my fave, especially when the bite is tough

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.