Author Topic: Which hub shanty?  (Read 2343 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Which hub shanty?
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Well, the boy and I decided to add a hub-style shanty to our arsenal...we already have flippers.  We are kinda' handicapped living in Reno; we don't have the local ice fishing selection at any of our stores.  We are looking at the Shappell Wide House 6500 for $249.99.  This larger size is what we are looking at since we may of some of his buddies joining us on any weekend.  What do you guys think of the Wide House?  Anything noticeably better for the money?  Want to stick to around this size and price, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Which hub shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:47 PM »
I have that hub.its alright but running a heater it drips all the time and ive had wind break 2 of the poles.its a palace for 2 people but cramped with 3 or 4 with everybodys gear.also check out polarbird,best insulated hub shelter out there and unbreakable poles and lifetime warranty on frame and hubs. insulated floor also.pm me for 5% discount.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:16 PM »
I have the WideHouse 5500 and it's a nice 2.5 man shelter without breaking the bank. The 6500 is a very nice affordable hub and 3 full grown men would have no issues fishing comfortably in it. It would make a nice base-camp setup too.

Shappell uses quality materials. I've had mine for going on 5 seasons and it honestly looks just as new as it did when I bought it. The windows are very durable and located well. The doors are easy to get in and out of. Zippers are heavy duty and durable. Another thing that I find important is the bag it comes it. A little awkward to carry with the backpack straps but you will have no problems getting your hub in and out of the bag. It looks like it won't fit like when youre done camping and rolling up your tent, but it will. It does drip from condensation but I just vent a door open at the top and that helps.

Anchoring any head-winded side of a hub shelter should be done anyways. You're basically sitting inside a balloon and it doesn't take too much wind to send your new hub rolling across the lake like a 6' blue tumble weed. I usually just put one anchor through a rivet on the skirt facing the wind and one more somewhere adjacent just to balance it all out. I don't usually use the string that you attach to the hub to prevent cave ins unless it's very windy. I haven't had any cave ins. No issues for me yet. The best $180 I spent on fishing.

I think you and your son would enjoy the 6500.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Polar Bird is a sponsor here
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Not much danger of a Polar Bird hub being blown away~ the insulated floor Velcros to the bottom, ALL AROUND.  Anchor as you feel the need.     ;)2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPsJWYVvJY   

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Eskimo 949I or Quickfish5I.. I would get an insulated model of anything you get that way it will stay warmer and you would get rained on by condensation all day long- These one stay completely dry and with a buddy heater you are sitting around in it with only a shirt on, they stay that warm!!!
Marvin

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:52 PM »
A question to ask is how are you going to get your hub from your truck to where you want to fish?  Weight and size are important especially if you are going to carry it.  If you are going to tow it out on a sled, then weight becomes less important.  If you don't want any dripping from condensation than you need to get a hub that is insulated.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 03:55 PM »
gander mt had real nice ones for 99 bucks----2 man

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2017, 05:34 PM »
I run an Eskimo 949i and love it !  Mostly for cooking and napping. Today there were 5 of us standing in it. A little crowded....clams are a couple inches taller which makes a huge difference! Next one will be the clam Jason Mitchell.

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I have the insulated hub from gander mountain. It came with 2 chairs, 8 heavy duty anchors and bag. Good size windows (that are replaceable) and 2 vents for fresh air into hub.I use it every weekend for 2 years and not one problem with it. I put it a cabelas sled with all other gear and it is easy to pull.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies...  Pondered on the insulated models, but since it is nowhere near as cold out here as it is in the midwest, I didn't consider it too long....I will reconsider.  Oh ya, I see that Polar Bird is a sponsor here and checked out their units.  Dandy stuff, for certain, but a bit more than what I need.  Like I has mentioned, we use flip-overs and like to run and gun to find the fish.  Figured the hub would be a nice warm up shack on days we are on the ice without hauling our flip-overs.  Also, we are pretty stationary at a couple of lakes fishing for lake trout and kokanee.  Definitely will re-consider the insulated models...
  Keep the replies coming...good stuff!  Have a question for you hub users...  When you use one on a lake with a couple feet of snow, do you just set it up on top of the snow?  Shovel the snow off so the hub sits on the ice?  Or do you spend the time to shovel off the entire area enclosed by the hub?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Level inside helps with better footing and it's all dry with the Polar Bird floor and a very small heat source.       ;)2

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2017, 06:30 PM »
I have 2 hubs, a Kill zone- 3 man and a clam 6-pac. I like both, and use each depending on the size of the group. Check out the kill zones if your looking for an afordable hub, they are just an eskimo with a different name on them. If there is a bunch of snow i usually pack down the area with snow shoes then set up. If you dig down to bare ice you usually end up standing in a puddle all day.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Not much danger of a Polar Bird hub being blown away~ the insulated floor Velcros to the bottom, ALL AROUND.  Anchor as you feel the need.     ;)2

Great idea with the Polar Bird.....do they make one with windows ?  How can you tell ,if you have a flag ?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Great idea with the Polar Bird.....do they make one with windows ?  How can you tell ,if you have a flag ?
The word is, stand up and look out the high window or leave the door open a crack.

Lower windows are coming soon, so I heard.      ;)2

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:41 PM »

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:41 PM »
What kind of money we talking for a Polar Bird....and how much do they weigh with the floor....I walk ...dragging a sled....at 60 years old ..I need my excercise..lol

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:56 PM »
Nessmuck, I think the easiest way to answer your questions about the Polar Bird is:  At the top of this page you'll  find Sponsors ads and one of them should be Polar Bird's, just click on that to see their site and look and click to see it all.    Good luck.      :bow:
I'm 78 and don't use machinery to travel on ice ~ I drag a sled and have the big 4T Polar Bird.    ;)2

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:04 AM »
At 78 ...I would be happy with a good bowel movement. Great for you getn aftah it on the ice !

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies...  Pondered on the insulated models, but since it is nowhere near as cold out here as it is in the midwest, I didn't consider it too long....I will reconsider.  Oh ya, I see that Polar Bird is a sponsor here and checked out their units.  Dandy stuff, for certain, but a bit more than what I need.  Like I has mentioned, we use flip-overs and like to run and gun to find the fish.  Figured the hub would be a nice warm up shack on days we are on the ice without hauling our flip-overs.  Also, we are pretty stationary at a couple of lakes fishing for lake trout and kokanee.  Definitely will re-consider the insulated models...
  Keep the replies coming...good stuff!  Have a question for you hub users...  When you use one on a lake with a couple feet of snow, do you just set it up on top of the snow?  Shovel the snow off so the hub sits on the ice?  Or do you spend the time to shovel off the entire area enclosed by the hub?

Thanks,

Jim     If you are sitting on alot of snow there is a catch.. Dig out the snow and set your hub down, then if you heat  too well you end up under water. If you do have to heat dig out a lot extra and cut drains, be prepared to fish with a very wet slick floor anyway.. you may prefer to shovel into the snow cover the skirt and don't heat..  or keep the heat low try not to melt any snow.  I have been caught flooded and then the hut will freeze to the ice if you try to cut off the heat once you have melted too much snow.. So that is my experience..  Personally I don't heat when I am in a pile of snow anymore just use all the snow as insulation and wind break.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Otter XTH Lodge, mine was $284 no tax and free shipping from Marine General.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:40 AM »
I bought the Shappell widehouse 6500 from our sponsor www.fish307.com and it was delivered to our house the next day! Its a great hub shanty for 2 or more people. Easy to set up and take down. We use a Mr. Buddy heater in it and it stays nice and warm.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:24 AM »

You don't need to anchor it because the floor has Velcro... Okay
Tight lines

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:52 AM »
You don't need to anchor it because the floor has Velcro... Okay
you don't need to .well the skirt anyways gear holds the whole hub down with the floor installed just tie off the wind ward side.i have a polar bird and know it to  be true.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I have the clam big foot I think it's called. Works great , tall enough to stand up in. 3 guys fit easy with gear , no floor , really quick up and down for hole hopping . I normally just tie the windy side to my wheeler or ice auger for an anchor. I think I've only used the screws once , it's the 9x9 model. Sounds huge but it's small once your fishing !

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I have the clam xl4000t. Set up and take down in minutes.  It's plenty big for 3-4 guys and it's thermal. Holds the heat very well. Fish in a t-shirt if you wanted to. The best part about the thermal lining is that it doesn't drip all over when you have the heater going.  ;D

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:15 PM »
I really like my QF6.

If I purchased today I may get an Eskimo Fatfish 9416i.  The insulated version might be nice for our overnight trips.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=321174.msg3378672#msg3378672

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320397.msg3370466#msg3370466

Best for you will depend on various factors, including how mobile you like to be.

Have a question for you hub users...  When you use one on a lake with a couple feet of snow, do you just set it up on top of the snow?  Shovel the snow off so the hub sits on the ice?  Or do you spend the time to shovel off the entire area enclosed by the hub?

That depends.  I fish in there.  If the ice has some texture/traction on top and water won't be overflowing out of the holes, then I prefer a cleared space.  If there will be overflow or the ice is sheet-smooth slick, then I prefer snow.  If there is overflow but the temps are nice and low, we sometimes will drill the holes and tamp down the slush around them and let it freeze up a bit before putting the shelter on top.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:13 PM »
gm 8x8 compared to a shappell wh6500
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

That Gander hub is looking like the best value out there....a lot of bang for the buck! 

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.