The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jigging Questions  (Read 791 times)

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigging Questions
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Hi fellow Wisconsinites,

In a couple of weeks I'm planning to go on Green Bay with a friend and jig for whitefish as well as walleye. I've never really jigged for anything except crappie and gills before and I'm wondering what sort of rod/reel setup I'll need. Right now I use ultra-light rods and 1lb test line for jigging. I'm guessing I'll need something a bit heavier for walleye and whitefish.

Can you use the same rod/reel combo for both species or would it be better to have a different setup for both? Also any bait tips you could give would be appreciated too.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I would recommend a medium light rod with a super line main line to a 4-6 lb floro or mono leader for whitefish.
For walleye a medium to medium heavy rod with superline down to a clear leader in the 6-8lb range would be ideal. Of course if you don't have either set ups available to you I would make one rod do double duty. I would go with the lighter set up to better feel the light bites of a whitefish unless you are camera fishing. In this case I would make sure you have at least 6 lb leader, the braid might as well be 8lb or so. As for rigs I would research the whitefish slider rig. There are countless videos on YouTube showcasing this setup. It is likely the most prevelant used rig on the bay. I for one like to use a Canadian technique of jiggling little red "wireworms" made to imitate blood worms. These red wire wrapped hooks can be purchased on eBay or easily tied up if you find the directions online. I fish them like a sabiki rig with an egg sinker on bottom to stir up the sediment and the hooks up the line starting about 8" up, tied on with a dropper loop. Good luck!

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:31 PM »
X2 on 6lb test min there’s some big fish out there.

Offline Blue Tiger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Keep the same rods,I use Ultra Light for walleyes and it beats the herky jerky of stiffer rods.Bump up to 6 pound test but if your not shooting for a 30 incher 4 LB will be better in clear water.I use jigging raps tipped with a piece of minnow (head/body/tail) just enough to get some scent and flash.Dont have to change up to much,finesse them just like you would any pan fish,not any difference.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Thanks Guys.

I will probably pick up a Medium-Light rod and try to pull double duty with it, as I don't see myself making it onto the bay too often. Thanks for the bait advice as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.