The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Advice for a Lake Winnebago first timer  (Read 3023 times)

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
Advice for a Lake Winnebago first timer
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I was invited on a trip to Lake Winnebago in early February. My friends seem more concerned about drinking and playing cards in a shanty with some tip-ups set out than actually trying to find fish. We are renting an airbnb on North Asylum Bay right across the water from Garlic Island. We are walking all our gear out so limited in range from where we are staying to find fish. Just looking for some general knowledge of the area and what I should be species I should be targeting. Thanks, from a FIB

Offline chahe43

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Advice for a Lake Winnebago first timer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:20 PM »
at that time, there will be 20-24+ inches of ice, my advice...drive out and find the fish. That late in the season will be hard to predict where the fish will be. but if in asylum bay, set up on the edge of some weeds in 7-10 ft of water. thats always been my strategy and has paid off more often than not. Best of luck!! FYI sturgeon spearing starts on feb 10th. the lake will be a zoo but fishing shouldnt be affected by the additional 7,000 vehicles

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Sturgeon spearing starts Feb 10th. I hope you're not going then. It's a freaking mad house.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I’ll be there 8th-12th, I guess I better invest in a spear!

Thanks for the tips chahe43

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:27 PM »
If the fishing is slow, take some time to check out some of the sturgeon registration sites, seeing a pre historic fish like the sturgeon up close is awesome.

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Watch out for open sturgeon holes! Being on foot you will see them easily. The only big secret I can think of when fishing bago is to keep moving

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I would strongly recommend hitting Critter's in Winneconne.  If your friends are looking for a fun time, it's like a sturgeon circus on that opening weekend.  We have gone the last couple years and always have a blast.

As for the fishing, I recommend coaxing the buddy with the oldest vehicle to drive you guys out.  It'll be a parking lot out there, so just follow everyone else.  We went for the first time a couple years back and had no idea what we were getting into.  One of the locals was awesome enough to let us hitch a ride on his truck bumper 3.5 miles out.  Would have been stuck up close for sure!

Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Walleyes and white bass are abundant. Hard not to catch something out there. Are you staying on the ice? You will have and interesting time a lot going on that weekend. Follow the group and you will get on the fish.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Walleyes and white bass are abundant. Hard not to catch something out there. Are you staying on the ice? You will have and interesting time a lot going on that weekend. Follow the group and you will get on the fish.

Is it really that easy ....follow the crowds  leap frog some holes and pound a jig rap? I've watched a bunch of videos on it but ya never know what to expect until ya do it

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:05 AM »
It will not b that easy more then likely.  Some days it is though. 

With it being opening week of sturgeon spearing the whole lake is going to appear like one big group.  Move every 15 mins till you mark fish is the best strategy. 

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:52 PM »
Last season there was some phenomenal fishing by garlic island for late ice crappie, whitebass and walleye. If the ice holds up depending on the snow conditions most vehicles should get you on the ice. Also additional bridges will likely be added to asylum bay to accommodate the sturgeon spearers thus making it much easier for you to acces deeper water. Otherwise head to 9-12 ft of water and work the bowl between the points inside asylum bay. If you aren't getting decent action move to the edge in 6-8 ft and work that. Also if your willing to make a short drive south to wendts you could most likely target eel pout (lawyers) on the reefs around the islands as well as get an excellent show with all the spearers on the ice and registration station right at wendts bar. It's a fun time to be on lake Winnebago that is fore sure!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.