Author Topic: Fish Trap vs. Otter Vs. Eskimo- 2 man  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Fish Trap vs. Otter Vs. Eskimo- 2 man
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 11:56 AM »
I've read through some old threads and still haven't been able to decide what is best.  I really like the Otter Cabin.  The deep sled and the new square tube poles looks real good.  But, it's almost $400 w/o any type of seat.  You're looking at almost $500 when all said and done.  The Fish Trap guide looks OK as well, but I reall don't like the sled the Fish Trap's have.  Price is better at $375, and that is with seats.  I have never actually seen an Eskimo, but there sled looks like the Fish Trap sled.  Any info on the Eskimo Quick Flip II???  What are your thoughts???  Thanks

Eric

Edit- Can all 3 of these shelters be held at 1/2 open to be used as a windbreak??

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
Re:Fish Trap vs. Otter Vs. Eskimo- 2 man
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:03 PM »
I own a fishtrap scout and, am very happy with it. You mentioned you didn't like the sled on the fishtraps, but I've had no problems with mine, it pulls very easy and seems to be very durable. For my money it's fishtrap all the way.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline walleyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:40 PM »
I have the Eskimo Quick Flip II Deluxe, it is very easy to set up and is comfortable for two people. I haven't really looked compared it to the other flip models that are available but I am very happy with this model.

Offline walleyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:44 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention this can be used as a wind break.

Offline KIDBRETT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2004, 01:21 PM »
TRAXION,

MY WIFE BOUGHT ME A FISH TRAP SCOUT FROM GANDER MOUNTAIN FOR 150.00 (DISPLAY MODEL)WE HAVE NO ICE HERE IN WESTERN NEW YORK YET,SO I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO TEST IT OUT.I ONLY USE IT FOR WATCHING TIP UPS.BUT SEEMS PRETTY NICE FOR THE MONEY.

Huckster

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:37 PM »
I currently have a Trap, that is three yrs old.  The sled bottom scrapes up easily with normal use.   I have looked hard at whats on the market.  They all do the same job,but money still buys quality.  The Otters have the BEST sleds on the market.  Not to mention the tarps are the heaviest of all three.  Eskimo seems to have a nice tarp but still not as heavy as the Otter.  Not long ago we had a 6" snow fall.  I went to the store just before they cleaned off the ice shacks that were kept outside at the Fleet Farm store.  All of the tarps on the flip type shelters sagged badly from the weight except the Otter.  All were lined up in a row with the same snow amounts on each.  Thats what sold me the most on the Otter.

Huckster

jimhx720

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:47 AM »
Don't have an Eskimo Quick Flip but I do have the Eskimo Traveler. The construction of these shanties is pretty good. Nice cover and the poles and sled base are excellent construction. I pull mine out on the ice loaded with my stuff and it slides great.

f1sh1nfool

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2004, 12:01 AM »
you have to ask yourself how long you want to keep your ice house.  the otter is by far the most heavy duty house you can find.  put some hyfax runners on the sled bottom and your set for a long time.  i have the lodge,  but considered the cabin.  the lodge has a lot of room, but is heavier than the fishtrap.  i was not impressed with the fishtrap seats.  i like to put my 9" jiffy on the bottom of the sled.  when i looked at the fishtrap at the ice expo i asked the rep about putting an auger under the seats... he said it could be done.  i asked him to demonstrate it on the voyager.  he walked away and didn't come back.    i have a buddy that  just purchased an eskimo qf II  it is a nice shack for the money.  put some hyfax runners on the bottom and it should last a while.  the quick flip II has the bench seat and you can fit the auger in the bottom of the sled.  

a lot of choices out there...  good luck

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:40 AM »
I have a fish trap guide no complaints what so ever
Go early , stay late

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2004, 11:58 AM »
I'm not going to purchase until this ummer, so I have some time to think about it.  As of now I am thinking of the Otter Cabin.  Seems like a good 2 person shack and looks to be realy durable.  I don't have anywhere close where I can go look at them all, but maybe I'll get somewhere where I can check them all out side by side.  Thanks for your input.

Eric

OldMillXxX

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2004, 02:00 PM »
I just bought the Quickflip II Deluxe and love it; there is just one thing that I hate about it.  The sled has worn through on all four corners.  I was not impressed at all!  I contacted Ardisam and they are sending me a new sled, no questions asked.  The material is good and setup is easy.  I guess you get what you pay for and the sled is definitely a little light.  Just my opinion, but I think it would easily be the top buy if the sled were a little beefier...

viper

Re: Fish Trap vs. Otter Vs. Eskimo- 2 man
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:33 AM »
I use a Fish Trap Guide and it really has come in handy on more than one occasion. The only problem I have had withit was an unfortunate incident with a hot heater and a big gust of wind vs. the fabric! The fabric lost!...Oh well I have an additional "vent".  I do think I am going to invest in one that has a higher ceiling though. At 6'4" it is a little tight to stand up in the Guide.. As for durability the Guide takes a lot of abuse. It slides in and out the back of the truck litteraly everyday. I use that thing everryyday on my way home rom work. Good Luck and "Keep your stick up" :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Fish Trap vs. Otter Vs. Eskimo- 2 man
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Traxion- I checked them all out and everybody is right in their own way. The Otter is the best overall, but that also comes with a weight cost and price cost. I settled on the Fish Trap Voyager. You can buy skids for the bottom to prevent wear on the sled. The fabric is very good and not at all thin. There's plenty of headroom to stand up without being a humpback. My own shack is actually for sale right now. I want to downsize to a 1.5 man shack. This is actually a good time to buy yours. In the summer, nobody has them and if you don't get yours in the next couple weeks, you'll be looking at next year and full price. Occationally you can still find a left over, but it's less likely.

Good luck and if you're interested, shoot me a note.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.