Author Topic: What is the quality of frabill hq 200 / 300 ice shelter  (Read 3034 times)

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi. I am starting to look around for a new hub shelter for the upcoming season, and I came across the frabill hq 200. Just wondering if they are good shelters, or is it something I should steer clear from. What other shelters should I consider. I want something that is fairly light since I always walk out on the ice. Trying to find something that will give me the most space without too much weight.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What is the quality of frabill hq 200 / 300 ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:08 PM »
The Shappell Wide House is the same material but bigger and lighter. 75x75 and only 22 pounds. Might not be as tall but is tall enough.
<===Lefty===

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:01 PM »
Have not seen that model in person, but have not had the greatest luck with anything from Frabill lately.

Been happy with my Eskimo hub. I know two other guys who have the same one (949) and they both treat theirs a lot worse than I do mine, no issues between any of us after a few seasons so far. The 949 is pretty big, if you want smaller/lighter look at the quick fish 3, or the quick fish 2 if it's normally just you alone. I've been in some pretty heavy winds and rain/sleet with mine, did great

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2020, 04:42 AM »
I was also looking at the 949.  Did not know if higher price was worth it over the frabill.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2020, 05:12 AM »
One thing about all pop ups. Eskimo Anchors are the very best out there. Even when I had the Shappell tents I bought the Eskimo anchors. Eskimo makes a great tent. I suggested the Shappell because it is cheaper but made of the same material as the Frabill. I have owned both the 5500 and the 6500 widehouse.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:39 AM »
I have a Frabill headquarters a 6x12 ..its probably 8 yrs old ..on its outings it was fine ..material is only 300 denier so wind whip may be an issue. My buddy also has a newer Frabill and it works just fine . I have since moved onto a Eskimo 949 insulated ..when packed up its tall so if thats a concern just make note .Eskimo makes some 2 and 3 man Quickfish model  that you may prefer ..insulated and non insulsted versions.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2020, 10:40 AM »
After seeing your location I would suggest an insulated model ..couple pounds heavier then its non insulated counterpart but worth the investment . Also you may have some makes and models sold in Canada that we do not . But size does matter as does the foot print ..Eskimo makes the Fatfish which is wider at the base ..not much bigger but a big difference then a straight wall hub..if you are tip up fishing only  you can get away with a smaller hub ..but if your jigging ..going to need larger .  Some of the off brands have thinner fabric and thinner diameter poles ..like a hunting hub . most hubs are rated for shoulder to shoulder person room ..so in general its not realistic..if it says 3-4 ..think 3 and a very roomy 2 man .  Skirt length ..longer is better ...grommets in the skirt great option ..Eskimo style anchor are the only way to go..nylon cam buckle straps better than cord ..Height is always a consideration ..Thicker hub poles are always better .  Oversized storage bag is another great option . And once you settle on one ...practice practice practice setting it up and down including the storage bag ..not a good thing to be learn on ice in windy/bad weather . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2020, 01:12 PM »
I was also looking at the 949.  Did not know if higher price was worth it over the frabill.

I haven't seen the frabill in person so I can't say for sure. The other one I really considered was the Shappel 5500, but when the 949 went on sale locally (under $200) I ran out and grabbed one. It's huge, very roomy for two people, I've had 3 inside fishing and it was fine, 4 would be tight in my opinion . I have the uninsulated version.

Maybe just my opinion, but on a pop-up I consider a 3 man is good for 2 people, a 4 man is good for 3, etc. Just like camping tents. I mean, you can get that many people in, but if you're at any depth of water you're so close together you're going to snag each other and likely be keeping some of your gear outside just to have room.

Like Hardwater mentioned, the only thing I don't love about it is that it is long when it's folded up. The bag has straps so you can wear it like a backpack but I wouldn't plan on doing that for any length of a walk.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Good size sled and/or a Smitty sled will fix any dragging woes ..as far as sled a good size Shappll Jet Sled will get the job done ..light and tends not to accimulate snow/ice and even with the sled getting beat up and scratch still pulls fairly easily . Love my Otter ..but that thing is tough ...and tough to pull even on bare ice w/o ATV/Snowmobile

Cabelas looks to have some offerings ..thermal and non thermal ..what retailers are near you ? Hubs in the USA tend to ship free ... If Canada  is the same then you should be in good shape once you land on size .

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2020, 04:51 AM »
Looks like the eskimo is the way to go. I checked about the shappell, seems they are really difficult to get your hands on around here. Thanks for the advice folks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.