Author Topic: Reel Anchors  (Read 11733 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Reel Anchors
« on: Dec 18, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Anyone tried these specific reel anchors from 13 fishing yet? I just threw some on a few of my Stradic 1000’s. Trying to avoid electrical taping a dozen rods. I guess I’m wondering if they make it a season and continue to hold tight without ripping or cracking by late March?

You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Reel Anchors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Anyone tried these specific reel anchors from 13 fishing yet? I just threw some on a few of my Stradic 1000’s. Trying to avoid electrical taping a dozen rods. I guess I’m wondering if they make it a season and continue to hold tight without ripping or cracking by late March?

I’ve seen so many guys use them but am reluctant to try them….I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality…
AA Is there any movement in the reel or does it hold it firmly ??
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Never even saw then until now.. been taping my reels(even salt water) since the early 70,s.. maybe you've found something better
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Yes Bill, there is movement, it’s very minimal. To a point where I’m going to give it a go. I’ll put them thru the ringer this season and find out. It was nice not taping them Joe.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Yes Bill, there is movement, it’s very minimal. To a point where I’m going to give it a go. I’ll put them thru the ringer this season and find out. It was nice not taping them Joe.

I hear ya, taping sucks.. I redo them every year.. not a problem in winter. But my toes stay in the truck all summer, those 90 degree July days leave me with non slip reel seats.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:26 PM »
They say those who fish do so with the reel handle on the left side, me though, I keep it on the right and do catching instead  ;) ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:37 PM »
They say those who fish do so with the reel handle on the left side, me though, I keep it on the right and do catching instead  ;) ;D

I noticed you have your handles on the correct side
.. just sayin'  ;D

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:44 PM »
They look nice I wanted to try some. I have been using this high tech self adhering wrap kinda like ace bandage but alot stronger and pliable and lasts alot longer. Ifthey dont work you can get it at any drugstore etc near the bandages etc..
It lays flat and incorporates itself onto the reel seat.its slick. Its called self adhesive wrap or something.  I like those frank good luck with them.
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I noticed you have your handles on the correct side
.. just sayin'  ;D

Haha love it!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:50 PM »
They look nice I wanted to try some. I have been using this high tech self adhering wrap kinda like ace bandage but alot stronger and pliable and lasts alot longer. Ifthey dont work you can get it at any drugstore etc near the bandages etc..
It lays flat and incorporates itself onto the reel seat.its slick. Its called self adhesive wrap or something.  I like those frank good luck with them.

Thanks! I’ll take a gander at that stuff, always looking for a better way

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2021, 08:09 PM »

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:42 PM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:43 PM »
Just could never talk myself into buying a rod that didn't have a reel seat built into it.  That's one of those things I've always had to ask myself, why would ya?  There are plenty of great rods on the market that come with a reel seat.  Personally, for panfish, I love the Snitch#8 made by 13fishing!  You can't beat it for sensitivity.  In fact, I quit using Schooley rods and the spring bobber because of their sensitivity.  Oh, did I mention they come with a reel seat, lol?

I haven’t found any that outperform those Frabill Amplifier rods

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2021, 05:51 AM »
Haha love it!

Lefty club for life!  ;D

Even just seeing a picture of that makes my skin crawl...😬

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2021, 06:27 AM »
Castration tool and castration bands., ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I actually have a bag of those and the Spreaders from our Angus farm Dom. I should see if it holds the reel with more stability than these. I just didn’t think it would.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2021, 06:44 AM »
I actually have a bag of those and the Spreaders from our Angus farm Dom. I should see if it holds the reel with more stability than these. I just didn’t think it would.

Got to use 4 bands ..they seem to be holding up on the set ups I have them on ..I use a 99 cent funnel for application onto the rod .I also use them to get the slop out of the Clam Plate trigger .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2021, 07:15 AM »
I use castration bands too.they hold tight but will dent cork where they sit over time.no big deal really.i also use  a cut off funnel to put them on.imo they are the same as the overpriced bands that are sold for reel applications.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Thanks fellas!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2021, 07:52 AM »
I use castration bands too.they hold tight but will dent cork where they sit over time.no big deal really.i also use  a cut off funnel to put them on.imo they are the same as the overpriced bands that are sold for reel applications.
Just gave me an idea.. I wonder how lobster claw bands would do..I've got to try that now..

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2021, 08:06 AM »
I use hd heat shrink tubing from the auto parts store, works well but leaves a wicked mess behind because of the adhesive in the shrink tube. Kinda stuck using the same stuff after using it once to keep covering the adhesive...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2021, 08:26 AM »
i have a bunch of those green cheerios. lol  we used to get drywall mud with those on the sack. not sure why i kept them but did. now maybe they have a use.  i tape my reels on still also.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2022, 07:59 AM »
So now that these anchors have been on for a few weeks and have made there way back to there original size after the stretching I caused installing them, I’m happy to say these things are rock solid with no slop or slip. Very pleased with how secure they are.

Now to put them to the test of a season. If the hold up I will use nothing but these.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:53 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:55 AM »
Thanks HD!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:48 AM »
Just could never talk myself into buying a rod that didn't have a reel seat built into it.  That's one of those things I've always had to ask myself, why would ya?

Weight, comfort, reel position, grip, etc, etc.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Yes Bill, there is movement, it’s very minimal.

That's why I don't like the bands...too much movement for me esp. under load.  Just my preference.  That said, I haven't tried every band on the market or castration bands/tools.

For me, I'm w/ Roccus on taping reels.  I run a band of masking tape over cork handles which I never take off to protect the cork, then use electrical tape over that.  Most of my ice reels, I will leave on my ice rods all year - so I only end up re-doing a couple every year.  Takes no time at all.

But I understand everyone's system is different.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:00 AM »
Weight, comfort, reel position, grip, etc, etc.
X2 , back in the day we even taped reels on our steelhead rods

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:04 AM »
I haven’t found any that outperform those Frabill Amplifier rods

I still have 2 of the old Frabill Sensive ice rods...very good rods....not sure if they still make them?  Maybe the Amplifier series replaced them??  Only complaint I had is that they ice up fast, so I only fish them when I'm in a shack w/ a heater.

I make & fish my own ice rods now, but Frabill makes good production rods.  I have a few other brands still & the blank taper/sensitivity isn't as good as the Frabill.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:05 AM »
I’ve never tried the bands either. Those green ones look pretty good AA has on his Frabills   Been using black hockey tape for years vs’s electrical tape. It’s stronger and holds up to the cold temps much better (by design) than elec. tape. I also use it to deaden the sounds on deer stands, shooting rails, metal on metal sounds when needed. It’s slightly rubberized so works great for that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.