Author Topic: A few White Perch From last Week @ Wini (this is first time post with a pic)  (Read 2864 times)

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
It worked okay . I caught these last week pre blizzard at Winni . I went fishing there for four days total and caught 16 total .
Bit was chaotic to say the least . One day 6 @ 1:30 bright daylight . Next day 5 in the Morning.  Anyway , these were some brutes
and I'll share a few more with you shortly .

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good eats.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pound for pound they are some of the best fighting fish and some of the tastiest fish as well!

I had caught a few last season and wanted to see how they tasted....Boy was I surprised!
I had been going the C&R route for years, because I didn't think they would be worth eating.

I was dead wrong!

I also did an online search for best way to fillet these fish and found that I had been wasting too much meat the way I had been filleting fish.
Now I've a practiced hand and am pleasantly surprised with my results.

Fish will be on the menu this year for sure!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Nice pull!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nice hawl, call me crazy but I dont filet them there bones are thick but once there cooked you can pull out the skeleton usually intact and eat the whole thing, I usually de scale them on the ice with my ice skimmer, gut them at home using heavy scissors, then fry in olive oil. Comes out perfect.
Salmonemia

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Your Not Crazy ! Spot On!

Filet one side for the wife . Quarter the rest deep fry cornmeal/flour .

Cold Beer . Life is good!

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
Time to defrost some trout I have in the ice box you guys got me hungry again ,I still get bones in my fish I pick them out with my teeth I need to find a better fillet method using pliers I guess ,1crd1aad nice job on those whites I haven't chaught any yet just yellows congrats on a good fish haul   :icefish:

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
There they are! I was waiting to see these pictures. Nice fish!

Hey, are you fishing the derby this weekend? 

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Nick

Check your gmail . I sent these pic's to you last week.
Derby not ! I want all the sleds and anybody on the ice to pack the snow down.
Went to massy Sunday and it was brutal. I will go the week after.  I'm Looking
to work 10pm to 6Am . Then I can bolt up to the lakes region.......I'll keep in touch !

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not my favorite fish to eat but does make a good hot and sour fish soup.  They are fun to catch - open water or  on the ice.  Nice catch.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sushi grade freshwater fish......no kidding. Soak a fillet in soy overnight and try. You1l be hooked.Don`t forget the wasabi ;)

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sushi grade freshwater fish......no kidding. Soak a fillet in soy overnight and try. You1l be hooked.Don`t forget the wasabi ;)

I love white perch and I love sushi, but I'd be careful mixing the two. Freshwater fish can carry parasites that can be harmful to humans -- including tapeworms.
I'm not one to be sqeemish about foods either. I've made venison tartare, and sliced my own sushi from saltwater fish, but you won't find me eating raw freshwater species.

At the very least, you should freeze it beforehand. The FDA says at least -4 degrees for at least a week, which should theoretically kill most parasites.

Unless, of course, you're looking for a quick weight-loss solution.  ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic

I love white perch and I love sushi, but I'd be careful mixing the two. Freshwater fish can carry parasites that can be harmful to humans -- including tapeworms.
I'm not one to be sqeemish about foods either. I've made venison tartare, and sliced my own sushi from saltwater fish, but you won't find me eating raw freshwater species.

At the very least, you should freeze it beforehand. The FDA says at least -4 degrees for at least a week, which should theoretically kill most parasites.

Unless, of course, you're looking for a quick weight-loss solution.  ;D

Cannot agree more, and I'll try anything
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline wabashaw_plumbing

• IceShanty Rookie
Freeze 'em and thaw them out for the derby weigh-in! But good luck beating the trout I caught at castle-in-the-clouds! They've been eating ball bearings all winter!
Keep ‘em wet

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Travis,
If that rainbow is for real I need to see a better picture brother!
How about a separate post ! Cmon ! Man you deserve it......SHOW THE SHANTY!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
Nice Catch, great fish to catch and eat, but man I hate cleaning them slimy smelly nasty
Gonna start a friendly state to state rivalry, this is how we do it in VT!
1/6/15
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.