Author Topic: Myths Exposed  (Read 5582 times)

grumpymoe

Myths Exposed
« on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:35 PM »
just thought I would throw this into the debates about wire....floro....braid ed.....and whatever else you want to get into debate about....clear water...stained....wha tever....our grandparents Never had any of the choices we have today.....and I fondly remember my grandmother (bless her wonderful soul) when she wanted to put fish on the table, would head out to the fastwater of the local lake, and take her green line....heck it still looks the same. (Rope).....hang on a couple of railway spikes to get it down to bottom.....and easily pull up northerns...and nice fat eyes.......all on "invisible" Green rope... ::) ::)....so with that, I went downstairs and pulled up and old pre-Frabill wont freeze the hole self-made non-tipup device.....and still equipped with the infamous Green Line.....(or rope if you wish).....the drag was double nuts on a plastic spool that we watched to see if it moved...heck....no flag....just a change in rotation......a snap swivel with a Norwegian hook......slabbed with a big ole smelt......and we never went too hungry.......yes...som e days just like now are off.....but for the most part, we caught fish just the same as we do now.......so if anyone wants to debate clear water......invisible floro.....and whatever....I always think of my best Grandmother anyone would hope for......and to prove a point, tomorrow on the eve of another new year.....the ROPE is going to hook another fish.......Grump                             

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Myths Exposed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:54 PM »
I still use some of the gear that my Grandfather showed me how to make over thirty years ago, and I still catch fish. Keep us posted on what you catch on that thing.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:25 AM »
Grump......You are the man. You never cease to amaze me. About the time we start getting a little crazy with our opinions you do something to humble us all. I knew we keep you around for a reason  ;D. I hope you hook some creature lurking in the depths with that thing. I can just see you in the shack hanging on for dear life with someone over your shoulder saying "Pump him grump, pump him" , "I'm pumping him you a**h*le", "Work him grump, work him", "I'm working him you a**h*le".  :D
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Wow, reminds me of myself.
I still use 2 tip-ups that were made by my great grandfather. Yes, I am only 15, but still, three years ago, I pulled a 13 pounder up, and the line, was the green rope line. This is all that I have grown up with. I had no idea of other products until coming on to this board a month ago. If you had asked me what Florocarbon leaders were, I would not have any idea! Year after year, my father caught, and I now, catch many pike on the green or black rope line, and a steel leader snap.

Just amazing to see what else is out there.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Hate to age myself but can remember using a very similar state of the art home-made a couple hundred moons ago. Actually had forgotten how well they worked, makes one think how we've over thought and gimicked something simple into a state of conflict and confusion. Thanks for the eye opener.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2005, 08:02 PM »
the intent of this post was to bring back old memories and the basics of fishing in general.......some of us get too involved in hyper-technology when in fact there is no need for it.....all I hate to see, is new fisherpeople overspending their budget to catch fish......NO NEED FOR IT......whatever technique you decide to use......have fun.....enjoy.....and reap the benefits on the table......and for the pro technology angler........more power to you.....but.......when it comes down to basics????....I'll put mine against yours any day...any lake....and anytime.....Grump....H appy New Year 2006 all.....Grump

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:56 AM »
WELL SAID - GRUMP!

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Well said Grump but.............. No comment on where I input you in the ice shanty scene from the Grumpy old men movie? I thought it was creative  ;)2.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I can relate Grump.
Last year was a classic. Went to a local small lake with my buddy and we set up with our Vexilars, cameras, graphite rods with nice spinning reels, portable shanties, and did okay fishing all day. We met and became friends with a local guy, He is the kind of guy that would give you his last dollar if he figured you needed it. But this guy comes out each day with his 5 gallon bucket, the heavy jigging poles that you need to wrap the line around two opposing hooks (I think it's called a bail type), looks to be about 15 lb. mono line and home made cork bobbers. He limits out in about 1 1/2 hours each day. He stops to talk to us on his way out and on his way back. He tells us exactly where the fish are, how deep, the exact jig he uses, and just everything about his presentation. After the third day of this, we would walk out with him and fish right next to him doing what he say's and he fishes circles around us every time!!! We would get the greatest charge out of this and fish until evening to walk away with less than limits. Finding ourselves laughing our tails off because we can't hold a hat to this guy that is, like you said ...
getting back to the basics.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Great post, it's nice to see some of the good old inventions still being used and still catching fish like they always did. There is a reason they were used and are still used, they work and work darn well.
I have also seen guys fishing with just a snap and lure attached to a spool of fishing line. They caught there fair share of fish to. 8)
I hope some folks can get some photos with fish on there setups.

WW

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:24 PM »
it matters not  how the fish are caught.what matters is how simple a rig a person uses.When a person goes fishless that person gets sucked into believing that it was his equipment that failed him/her.nothing could be further than the truth.What matters is when you go fishing.you gotta be there when the bite is on and dont let any advertisement tell you otherwise.When the fish are bitting hard,that is when your best chance at a large trophy fish are best.on that day is when all the fish become active.it is rare to have a day like this.that is why ya gotta put time in.so you can be there when it happens.so save those old lures etc.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Grump my two biggest pike last year came on the same green line
23 and 24.5 lbs
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline jackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grrrr......
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Well said.  You know I'm really a rookie, been doing this for only three years now.  I don't have all the fancy stuff.  Hell, I use mostly my buddies stuff.  Last year I didn't have any tip ups, so I read on this forum about some guy using a simple dowl rod for a tip up, and he let it spin to let him know a fish was on instead of a flag.  I looked around the garage and found a piece of bamboo.  I wrapped some line on it, a sinker, a hook.  Never expecting it would catch a fish.  Well didn't it catch one of the bigger perchs I caught that day.  I was very happy to know that I didn't need a vex, a clam, or anything else.  Sure, the new stuff makes it easier, and for some, a lot more fun.  I bought some used tip-ups this year, and am having fun working through them and getting them the way I like them, but know its more about the knowledge of the fish, then the gear you bring.
grrrr...... jackbear

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I'm guilty of sometimes getting wrapped up in needing the latest and greatest.  While it's true that I find most of our modern conveniences very helpful, this post is a nice reminder to settle down, keep it simple, and enjoy the fishing.  Thanks Grump.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Great post grump!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline kerry w

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:28 PM »
 Well i have some new gear,some thats older than me im 43 , i love to fish wheather i catch anything or not . My point is i started to fish with my parents when i was 8 ,learned to love being outdoors have seen some very funny things over the years ,but while fishing have made many life long freinds ,helped other and have been helped as well . Fishing being out with others seems to bring back the values ,we grew up with ,and our parents,makes us able to hold out a helping hand , generaly brings out the good in people . my two cents kinda off topic.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Good post Ol' Timer! :D  Those older rigs are really neat and bring back memories for many of us.  I'm going to bring out my grandpops ol' tipup this weekend and give it a test cruise.  I use it once a year just for fun.  Good stuff grump. ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:23 AM »
Wow, great post Grump.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline fishfinder24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:26 AM »
GUILTY!!...I for one am a person who likes to try out all the new gadgets that come out.  I don't have the money to buy everything but I sure try. :)  Just ask my wife.  There are plenty of days though that I don't want to haul everything on the ice and just go back to the basics.  The basics still catch fish-no doubt about that.  Reminds me of growing up out on the ice with my dad, a bucket, a jig pole and maybe a few wooden tip ups.  No wind break, electronics, or fancy poles etc... When I'd tell my dad I was cold he'd tell me to run around. :)  I love the new technology out there but I also can go back to basics and catch fish and have fun doin it.  Good thread to start Grump.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Here is the one of the bobbers that I grew up using and still us today. Still see the odd oldtimer(over 40 like me) using them but all the young pups have the fancy a** stuff.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Looks like a smelt catapult shanks!  :D  Neat stuff, how's it work?
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Looks like a smelt catapult shanks!
... :roflmao: :roflmao:.... :roflmao: :roflmao:.....I cant type too much.... ;D ;D...shanks.....fire one off at BD.... ;D ;D Grump.....Duck!!!!! Incoming

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:14 PM »
All it is a a 1 1/2" wide length of steel banding I usually dig out of the dumpster at a lumber yard. Experiment with the length. Heavy nylon braid wrapped to the end with a snap swivel attached.  A big treble hook poked thru the belly of a big old smelt and hooked onto the snap swivel. Lower down the hole to about 16-24" off bottom. In this part of Alberta there is no such thing as a day without wind, so the wind keeps this rig moving. Just like jigging with the advantage of having both hands free for the beer, coffee, scratching the unmentionable that are sweaty and overheated in the longjohns.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:38 PM »
HAHAHAHA!  Colorful as usual PS!  Great stuff...  Dumpster engineered in Alberta clever indeed.  You'll have ta post your "Smelt-O-Pult" in action!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I thought this might be an appropriate spot for this.  I was attending my Uncle's funeral yesterday 1/5/06 and relatives and friends were encouraged to tell some stories about him(he was quite the outdoorsman and a jokester).  Seems he bet someone that he could catch a northern with a daredevil tipped with smashed minnows dipped in cow crap.  They took the challenge and he won.
Cheese Head

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:44 PM »
i was going thru the old postings and came across this.  it's so true.  i still use green rope on some of my tip-ups (with a leader now).  thanks for taking the time to type this one out grumpymoe.

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:53 PM »
I bought my traps used and they came with the green line.  I never went to buy more of it because the traps came w/ extra spools too.  I never thought about it until I read this post, I guess I assumed everyone uses it it lol.  Now I wonder how old my traps are.

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:31 PM »
the intent of this post was to bring back old memories and the basics of fishing in general.......some of us get too involved in hyper-technology when in fact there is no need for it.....all I hate to see, is new fisherpeople overspending their budget to catch fish......NO NEED FOR IT......whatever technique you decide to use......have fun.....enjoy.....and reap the benefits on the table......and for the pro technology angler........more power to you.....but.......when it comes down to basics????....I'll put mine against yours any day...any lake....and anytime.....Grump....H appy New Year 2006 all.....Grump
Finally somebody that makes sense!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.