The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: place that shrapens ice fishing blades  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Robbie L

• IceShanty Rookie
place that shrapens ice fishing blades
« on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Hi all,
     I am wondering if anyone knows a place that does a good job of sharpening ice fishing blades for an auger?
I took it to my local small engine place, and the blades did not even dig one hole. I am wondering if I should
just buy new blades. I am looking for a place near Clarks Summit/Scranton....thanks, Rob

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: place that shrapens ice fishing blades
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:16 AM »
Should add your location to your profile ..for future postings ..Those blades could of been ruined by the previous "sharping"...so getting the new blades would be my first choice and then sen the other set to be sharpened .  site sponsor Fish307

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:20 AM »
I am planning (again) to take mine directly to IS sponsor Fish307 today. Give them a call and ask how about the cost to have them shipped back to you

I’ve had good experiences both times they’ve sharpened mine

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:25 AM »
May want to give these folks a call as well ..fellow PA sponsor

https://www.wellsborotackleshack.com/

not a sponsor but

https://pikecountyoutfitters.net/fishing/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:40 AM »
 Well I see you already got our Sponsor 307 info.   I'd buy another set too that way you can have a "sharp" set while the dull ones get done or you can change them mid season(if we ever get good ice from Dec-March again).

I've tried doing them myself with a stone - got them shaving sharp but edge didn't hold up. Also tried those "sharpeners" they sell... wasn't impressed. Never found anyone local(SE PA) to do them.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I am planning (again) to take mine directly to IS sponsor Fish307 today. Give them a call and ask how about the cost to have them shipped back to you

I’ve had good experiences both times they’ve sharpened mine

I am planning (again) to go Saturday....

Got delayed making breakfast and now I am doing other chores...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:34 AM »
This may help for Mora/Shaver blades..I picked up one and plan on using it this season ..but did by a back up set of blades to have on the ready.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=370791.msg3999762#msg3999762

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Hi all,
     I am wondering if anyone knows a place that does a good job of sharpening ice fishing blades for an auger?
I took it to my local small engine place, and the blades did not even dig one hole. I am wondering if I should
just buy new blades. I am looking for a place near Clarks Summit/Scranton....thanks, Rob
There is a place called Martins Sharpening near lancaster Pa. They do an outstanding job of sharpening blades. You can mail them there. 717-733-0511

Offline Robbie L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!
                                      Robbie

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2020, 10:03 AM »
If you sharpen  them yourself, ensure you only sharpen the beveled edge.  The flat edge should remain as it is.  Typically, the blades only need the burr removed and not any actual sharpening.  I saw a youtube video years ago where they used a buffer to just remove the burr from the beveled edge.  I tried it and they cut better than new.  If someone sharpened them and put a bevel on the flat side, I think you'll need new ones.  At least this is how it has worked for me....YMMV

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:33 AM »
Finally got to 307 this morning. Blades, a few jigs and a spool of trap braid and I am home.

When I asked about mail service for blade sharpening they said just follow the instructions here:

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2020, 09:43 AM »
watched a video before of a guy using fine sandpaper and i tried it and def works

Offline creel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2020, 09:45 AM »
I posted this yrs ago I bought new mora blades 10 yrs ago and it came with how to sharpen Mora or Eskimo blades, take them off and sharpen them the bevel side only, due not touch the flat side, you sharpen them with a FINE stone going counter clockwise starting left to right hold them with your thumb and trigger finger bevel side facing you above the thumb, you will build a sharpe side or I call a booger on the flat side while sharpening once you have that sharpe side all the way across the flat side your are done sharpening it, I stress do not touch the flat side with the stone.  John
thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.