The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Why is pa so against letting atv's and snowmobiles on the ice  (Read 17533 times)

Offline fishdoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why is pa so against letting atv's and snowmobiles on the ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I'm generally fine with this law because I think it would create more harm than good if  it were allowed. Possible exceptions would be for special permits/handicapped but a slippery slope there too.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2017, 03:02 PM »
It's just pa with their head up their ass.it doesn't matter were the hell your at in the country.i have never read anything about ice fishing that said anything about location as far as what you need to stand on or take a atv on or a truck.its all about the thickness.we had over 2 ft of ice here a few years ago that will support any truck.it only takes 5-6" for a atv.noooooo we don't get that here.people here just put up with the crap.one off the higher taxed states and always out of money,it's funny.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Nice find! Good to have. I agree I still display. While it might be "ok" to not there are still a few COs that may give you a hassle because its written in the regs book about displaying it. If its really a convenience of the angler why dont they just make the change.

It's States right on your license must be displayed on outer garment but I don't know about the phone app when I was in issuing agent just a year ago

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I think you're allowed on Lake Wallenpaupack with snowmobiles

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I think you're allowed on Lake Wallenpaupack with snowmobiles

Not out of the state launch. Private land or one of the Brookfield launches. I know several guys that put them on at Cafferys or Ledgedale.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:06 PM »
It's States right on your license must be displayed on outer garment but I don't know about the phone app when I was in issuing agent just a year ago

I CAN TELL YOU THAT YOU have to have your licence displayed while fishing.  I was fishing the susqy  at red hill and the fish warden stopped me for not having a licence displayed. No fine, but a warning.  The next warden might let u go, or he might not fine u if u have a pic of your lisence on your phone, but to be legal you have to display it.  I think it's a dumb law, but that's the way it is.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:48 PM »
not against the law to use motor vehicles on the ice in pa just in state parks and lakes.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Yes Pa Bass that is what it says. But the Pa fish and boat permits you to have a phone app. So call HBG and ask them how to display the app. They continue to print it but that is not true. Please call Hbg and ask for law enforcement and be direct. Question should be can I have a app. on my phone and do I need to have it exposed on my outer garment to be legal in Pa.  Also it has been at least 10 years that they discontinued the law of if it is not displayed you are fined on the spot. It was changed and you have x amount of days to show proof of having you valid Pa fishing license.  I read the full regulation law book every year. As a licensed guide I can not afford to make a mistake. There are many things that are written such as you can only tie your horse up at certain places in town and so on. That does not mean it holds water.
  Trappers have the same problem of setting body gripper traps in a water course. so what is a water course? These are only a few examples of why we need to call the top dogs and verify what is the law and not what we think or what we read.

Here is the response I got today from the PFBC.

Hello Len, Thank you for contacting the PA Fish & Boat Commission. Currently, PA law  requires the fishing license to physically be displayed on an outer garment. There is a PROPOSED regulation to have this altered so that display on mobile devices can meet the requirement; however, this is under review at this time. You can read about the details of what this regulation would look like on the website. It is under Regulations>Proposed Rulemakings> #276

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:01 PM »
I never were mine I Cary it in my wallet so I always have it.everytime I'm checked I get a lecture by fish and game that they could fine me for not having it out visible but don't.dont know if they are all lying

Offline MikeFLN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I think this is a very good rule in PA.  New York and Wisconsin have much colder and longer ice seasons than PA (in general) and make enough ice to support motorized vehicles for extended periods of time.  Lakes in the northern part of Pennsylvania and the Pocono region may be OK but the rest of the state doesn't get enough ice to support the weight of an ATV or snowmobile for any meaningful amount of time.  I'd venture to guess that most of the lakes in PA see no more than 8 inches of ice during a good year in the winter months and that ice rarely lasts more than a few weeks (if at all).  If PA allowed ATVs and snow machines on the ice, they'd almost certainly be pulling vehicles and bodies from our waterways far too often.

it only takes a few knuckleheads to ruin it for everyone

I may be new to ice fishing but I am not new to this state or human behavior and these right here are your answers.

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Just some free legal advice for everyone here: the government, including the Fish & Boat Commission, is NOT bound by opinions given on request.  If they tell you it's legal, and it turns out they were wrong, they can and will still cite you.  Conversely, if something is not outlawed by statue, regulation, or judicial decisions, it doesn't matter how many COs get mad - it is NOT illegal.  The person to ask if X activity is legal isn't the Commission - it's your lawyer. 
"Gol-dang! If thet ain't about the worst ice-fishin' hole Ah ever seed! Looks like a giant funnel!"  

-   Rancid Crabtree

Chute82

« Reply #41 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Read the front of your license...it clearly says must be displayed on outer garment...mic drop

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:51 AM »
I would feel pretty stupid going to a lawyer and asking them if I have to wear my fishing liscence were it can be seen.bit I'm sure they would get a good laugh,   And charge me $500

Offline addictedangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:01 PM »
 As stated call Pa fish and boat in Harrisburg and ask how to display you phone app. Also it was about 10 years ago that they gave us a few days to show proof if you do not have it on you. You can think what you want and it can state whatever.  These are the facts that I have found, I guess no one has called the top dog in Law enforcement and asked. If you do I am sure some of your post will change! I have got this answer from district ( Retired officer Keller) 2 years ago as well.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:31 PM »
As stated call Pa fish and boat in Harrisburg and ask how to display you phone app. Also it was about 10 years ago that they gave us a few days to show proof if you do not have it on you. You can think what you want and it can state whatever.  These are the facts that I have found, I guess no one has called the top dog in Law enforcement and asked. If you do I am sure some of your post will change! I have got this answer from district ( Retired officer Keller) 2 years ago as well.

The resopnse I posted IS right from the fish commission. I doubt if somebody...anybodys word over the phone would be much of a defense. I always prefer a response in writing. Thats why I went that direction.

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Like I said, nothing they say - online, in writing, or on the phone - is a defense.  Even if everyone at the Commission says they won't cite you, they can change their mind anytime without notice.  That's basic prosecutorial discretion.  The only way to make it legal is to rewrite the reg. 
"Gol-dang! If thet ain't about the worst ice-fishin' hole Ah ever seed! Looks like a giant funnel!"  

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:25 AM »
 ??? REALLY? This license rant is still going on. You are torqued because you have to display? You have to poke a hole in your fancy ice outfit? Do you wear a knit hat? You do know you are required to be able to produce ID proving residency and that you are the person named on the license? Maybe you would prefer to have your fishing interrupted while you dig out your license and ID. Then you would whine about the Gestapo tactics! All the crap going on you got nothing better to do? Rain coming this week, how is the bite?  :tipup:

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:48 AM »
yawn, just fish man....
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Not out of the state launch. Private land or one of the Brookfield launches. I know several guys that put them on at Cafferys or Ledgedale.

Back OT... If this is more the case it's probably a possible liability issue.

"You allowed me out from your launch and I put it through you should have posted warnings." I can see it happening. That's why if you go off private property it's OK. At your own risk.

We have similar rules in some places depending who has control of the landing. Madison metro lakes can have sled or ATVs, not road vehicles. Legal ice machines MUST have county inspected and approved flotation or a ticket ensues. Dropping a vehicle into a lake is never an easy proposition to recover. State seems to be OK with ice travel so maybe they have their liability covered somewhere. It's mostly the counties or townships that restrict.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
??? REALLY? This license rant is still going on. You are torqued because you have to display? You have to poke a hole in your fancy ice outfit? Do you wear a knit hat? You do know you are required to be able to produce ID proving residency and that you are the person named on the license? Maybe you would prefer to have your fishing interrupted while you dig out your license and ID. Then you would whine about the Gestapo tactics! All the crap going on you got nothing better to do? Rain coming this week, how is the bite?  :tipup:
Yes Pennsylvania is way behind.i have hunted and fished many states.none that i have been to require display.i have never been checked in other states near as much  as this state.pa commision,game and fish are pricks.they assume almost everyone is a outlaw.my .02$ like it or not.
No atv or sled needed to fish,and i own both.fish close or get in shape.We have many great fishing spots close .
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I still display my hunting license on my fanny pac and my fishing license on my hat. No big deal.  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:29 PM »
New York fishing is just simply better in all ways, sorry to say. I have to buy my NY license every year but I get my use of it and more fun.
Got Bugs?

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:39 AM »
lol does anyone check the laws before they post. I personally know a PFBC warden and some of you guys are wrong in pa laws, not stating names but if your taking the time to post bad info maybe you should take the time to find the correct answer. I see a few things in this thread that are not correct.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:40 AM »
enlighten???
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:45 AM »
if i do that three or four people on this thread are going to be upset and give me crap.

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:45 AM »
I still display my hunting license on my fanny pac and my fishing license on my hat. No big deal.  ::)

This post explains a lot about why the laws here don't change.  Those of us who grew up in other states DO think it's a big deal.  Maybe if PA had more net immigration from other states the laws would change faster. 

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Well, I have to agree with you that things don't change fast in PA.................... ...................... ...................... ...But you must not be in PA long if you think this law should be a high priority!  ;) 
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Well, I have to agree with you that things don't change fast in PA.................... ...................... ...................... ...But you must not be in PA long if you think this law should be a high priority!  ;)

Fair point!

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:49 PM »
  We can now use 3 rods(open water) and 1 of them can have an Alabama Rig on .... How much change you think we can handle ..... ;D

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:40 PM »
  Yeah, Its been so cold in Pa the politicians have their hands in their own pockets. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.