Author Topic: prep work for gear  (Read 4367 times)

mngonefishing

prep work for gear
« on: Oct 26, 2003, 07:08 PM »
I was going through my gear today. Respooling reels, tip - ups, ect. It made me want to go out ice fishing in the worst way. I set up the portable, sprayed it down with scotch guard. ( not only is  this good for the fabric it also repells wind and water) looked over the tackel box, NNNNOOOOWWW what to replace. The better word for it is what do I need to add  ;D Now next week it is time to go shoping. Yes guys I said shoping. The wife does it twice a month, I do it twice a year.  8) Any Ideas on some new equipment that I just have got to have??? :'( :'(

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
Re:prep work for gear
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2003, 08:29 PM »
Plano has these Guide Series boxes. They are a divided storage box with a gasket seal on the lid. A couple of sizes. I thought these were kinda slick.
Last year I picked up one of those Croxton Pond Ice Fishing Bags. Wouldn't go fishing without it! Cuts down on the bucket brigade!!!! Lots of gear fits in one of these things!
I can't wait for the Ice Show in St Paul in Dec. Lots of goodies there!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:48 PM »
MNGONEFISHIN,  I don't know if you have one of those rod holders that snap onto a 5 gallon bucket, but sure seems like a heck of a rod "saver" in Pike country.  I picked up a couple today at a local store, there made by Tackle Tamer right there in your neck of the woods.  I have never seen these until this year, so I thought it would keep me from stressing out over losing a rod to a renigade Pike.  Happened to me couple years back and I still stew over losing my favorite ice rod to a critter!  Kinda like the ol' guy in Grumpy old men. :o :-\ :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2003, 08:34 AM »
Those rod holders are great. I have a couple.

Wables

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2003, 09:52 PM »
I second the Guide Series tackle boxes.  These things are great!  My biggest problem with plano's has been the latches, but I think that they solved the problem.  One medium sized blue one and 4 small yellow ones fit into one of the side pouches on a Croxton Pond rod bag.  Perfect!  

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2003, 11:23 AM »
Wables;
Thats one side of my bag also!! It's amazing how much fits in these. No tangled lines or broken rods, I keep 6 rigs in mine in the center. Then there is the whole other side for extra gear and lunch! I took the shoulder straps off of mine. It bungees just fine to the wheeler.
Realy like the latches on the Planos also..... this is my 3rd year with one of the small boxes. No broken hinges or latches. I take my gasket out and wipe clean  fairly often.
Both of these work great!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2003, 12:08 PM »
You know, us Canadians do not have anywhere near the resources for ice fishing products as you Yankees do. I look on all those U.S. websites and there is a sh!t load more stuff you people can get down there. If I were to order from the U.S. it would cost me a fortune in the currency conversion, freight, brokerage fees, etc, etc. It's a real pain in the @ss I tell ya.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2003, 05:17 PM »
Hi Gang!
   No one is talking about ice cleats.  I made my own with two pieces of 2" wide band iron and 8 self tapping screws.
Bent the band iron in a U around my arch of my boot. then made holes to strap a rubber bungie across them. drove in 4 screws each  they make great ice cleats.  What about everyone else what do u use?????
Da-Roc

mngonefishing

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2003, 10:12 PM »
nunzio, i have the Plano Guide Series boxes. yes they are slick ;D as for ice cleats i have a pair that i got while i was stationed in AK. they are 15 years old but still work just fine. thanks for all the ideas guys

Wables

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2003, 10:22 PM »
I screwed about 20 hex head self tapping screws into each of my fishing packs.  It cost me $2.00 and it worked great.  I had 4 or 5 work themselves out over the course of the season, but they will be easily replaced this year.  Just make sure that they are "icefishing only" boots!

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2003, 07:30 AM »
I keep a pair of Yak Traks in my fishing bag for just in case...... but I use my homemade pair. I made them out of scrap pieces of Welded Wire Mesh, 1x1, use about a 4x12 inch piece formed to my boot and tied off.

I've used the screws in the boot before and it does work great, until you  forget and wear them in the house....... believe me it only happens once!! :o

I was out on early ice a couple of years ago, about 8 inches, forgot my grippers, of course. Fell down twice before I got to my "spot". Got situated fired up my auger (I though I was going to be hole hopping) and spun with the auger. After a couple of "turns" with the auger I got some traction, slipped and fell, got smacked in the mouth by the auger on the way down. I try not to forget my grippers any more!!

mngonefishing

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2003, 07:10 PM »
that's better then spinning around like a top. I went and bought a pail partner. it fits in a 5 gal pail and helps you organize your stuff. :'(

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2003, 07:39 AM »
Mngonefishing;
How is your Pail Partner? I found a Bucket Buddy, I wonder if they could be cousins???? ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2003, 08:26 AM »
I use  a pair of ice cleats my buddy got me from the post office. they work good and the price was right.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.