The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Auger  (Read 2379 times)

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
New Auger
« on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:39 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a brand new Eskimo Easy Start Hypercoil 71cc Shark 10" Auger!  I'm pretty excited as I've always had 2nd hand hand me downs.  Now if it will just start cooling off!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:24 PM »
I hear you Lion. Retiring my old tecumseh for a k-drill. Can’t wait for that hardwater!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07:28 AM »
Just bought a spare battery for my 18 volt drill.   With my 41/2 " and 6" Nils I don't think I will ever take my gas auger on the ice again. 
I won't change my 4 lbs test lines.  I have already respooled all of it onto a 6" spool hoping to get the kinks out.  New 6lb leaders on my tipups next. 
Still have another couple of weeks to fly fish for the 2 year stocked fish in my local trout ponds.
Dick

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I really need to figure something out for this year - I can't do another season with my 8" Eskimo hand drill. Maybe play the lotto leading up to the season??

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I really need to figure something out for this year - I can't do another season with my 8" Eskimo hand drill. Maybe play the lotto leading up to the season??

They have a great lotto at my credit union.  Costs about $10/week to play, but in ten weeks you are guaranteed a $100 payout!

;)
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06:41 PM »

Clam Plate and Cordless Drill
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Touché - I’m trying to find a deal on a drill that’s capable. As this will Be it’s primary use

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:49 AM »
StrikeMaster Pro no disappointment

Jrowe85

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 07:26 AM »

Last year I Purchased a Jiffy Demo Auger. They are used augers you can find right on their website. Used only by the Pro Staff. It looks (fresh blade and no chips anywhere) and runs like a brand new Jiffy and for half the price. I just checked out the website, and at first glance I see they have a Jiffy Model 30XT 52cc for $220. That's a steal in my opinion.

I recommend you check out those Demo Models.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2017, 10:19 AM »
I second the drill option! With or without the clam plate (I won't go without the plate now), your existing hand auger will do you just fine as long as you have a good cordless drill.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:20 AM »
For whatever it is worth, take a look at the K Drill 8". With or without clam plate. Clam plates are hard to find, but we are trying to buy a bunch of them. We have about 24 K Drills in stock and about 12 clam plates in stock so far. I personally have one of these with a Fuel drill on a clam plate and they are amazing. I never used the propane auger once last year, just the K Drill. Weighs only 10 pounds complete. If you want a bigger hole, just drill 2 holes next to each other, very easy to do. Lots of great choices out there.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Wayne do you have any blades for a 8in. kdrill thanks

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:20 AM »
I just pulled the trigger on a brand new Eskimo Easy Start Hypercoil 71cc Shark 10" Auger!  I'm pretty excited as I've always had 2nd hand hand me downs.  Now if it will just start cooling off!
Hey lion, I also got my first "brand new" auger...also an Eskimo, but I bought their propane model. I did a lot of research, and hope I picked a winner. Good luck, and enjoy your new auger...it looks like a beast!
I fish.                                                         

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Hey lion, I also got my first "brand new" auger...also an Eskimo, but I bought their propane model. I did a lot of research, and hope I picked a winner. Good luck, and enjoy your new auger...it looks like a beast!
Thanks.  I'm pretty excited to have an auger that will potentially idle and cut without a lot of work from me!  And it is a beast!  The top of the engine is nose height on me.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Wayne do you have any blades for a 8in. kdrill thanks

yes we do and I ordered (3) more sets today as well. Just let us know and we could set one aside. Don't forget K Drill has free lifetime sharpening on the blades. I sent mine in and they sent them right back all sharpened up. Need special jig to mess with those blades I think, much like the Nils heads. The price is right from them, so send them in.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.