The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Throw ropes  (Read 4851 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Throw ropes
« on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Many of us carry a throw bag or rescue rope when we are on the ice, especially in the early part of the season when the ice is thin. These can save a life, but only if they are thrown with accuracy. I just want to  remind everyone that now is a good time to practice throwing on dry land. Most people find an underhand throw easiest, but try overhand and lobbing it, too. When you start consistently hitting your target, practice while wearing your ice fishing jacket. One final thought. Keep your throw bag dry. It won't work if it's frozen.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Throw ropes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Great post!  Absolutely!   Will grab mine out of its storage box and practice this weekend!   Like anything, what good is it if you can’t hit your target with it!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:03 PM »
What type of rope is best?  Any certain type of bag that is good? Any kind of weight ( and how much) on end of rope to assist in throwing?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:11 PM »
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply DN. Will start looking into these ropes.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I keep a nylon rope in a bag with a small boat bumper attached and a loop in the rope. the other end knotted to the bag. hold the bag and toss the bumper. bumper also floats. just feed the rope into the bag. When you toss the bumper, the rope feeds out. theoretically, without tangling

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:34 PM »
The boat bumper sounds good for something to help with the toss.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2017, 07:40 PM »

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2017, 08:09 PM »
The boat bumper sounds good for something to help with the toss.

I made one out of a boat bumper ...some rope ...and a chair bag ...now I use a commercial made one ...fit my needs reasonable priced and small enough to carry each and every outing ...viedo I used to get me stated on my home version

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2017, 08:18 PM »
x2  on the boat bumper.  Local sporting goods store had one that would be way too small for my boat but great for throwing.

Been carrying it for a few seasons.  Hope to never use it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:27 PM »
I wouldn't bother trying to use a boat bumper or anything else to make my own throw rope. Better to buy a ready made rescue throw bag. These are made for whitewater paddlers and swiftwater rescue personnell. Here's a good video of how to use one in whitewater.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:53 AM »
Why mess around just go with the nebulous

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:54 AM »
My throw rope has a clip (carabiner) on the end in hopes that the person in peril might be able to clip onto a part of their clothing, a bib strap possibly, in case they lose grip strength.
I fish.                                                         

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:51 AM »
There are 2 potential problems with that. My throw bag has 70 feet of rope. If you are 20 feet away and you grab the bag and clip to yourself I have to pull 50 feet of rope before I start pulling you. It can also create a false sense of security. If your bib strap breaks I could pull the rope out of your reach, causing a second throw and loss of valuable time. Grab the rope, not the bag and get yourself out of the water as quickly as possible. Hypothermia takes hold very fast.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:44 AM »
I wouldn't bother trying to use a boat bumper or anything else to make my own throw rope. Better to buy a ready made rescue throw bag. These are made for whitewater paddlers and swiftwater rescue personnell. Here's a good video of how to use one in whitewater.

I don't run into much white water when ice fishing

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I couldn't find any ice fishing throw bag videos.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I couldn't find any ice fishing throw bag videos.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Hardwater diehard thanks for the video . Good info

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Hardwater diehard thanks for the video . Good info
.   Agree.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:44 PM »
I don't run into much white water when ice fishing
You've given me a new idea for a perfect day in the outdoors. Ice fishing and whitewater kayaking in the same day. It would have been possible last April. I was ice fishing while the Smalls to the Wall race was happening. Hopefully I won't need the throw bag.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2017, 04:34 AM »
You've given me a new idea for a perfect day in the outdoors. Ice fishing and whitewater kayaking in the same day. It would have been possible last April. I was ice fishing while the Smalls to the Wall race was happening. Hopefully I won't need the throw bag.

Quite a combo . Sounds cold.

I hope none of us ever need to use a throw rope

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:12 AM »
 ??? ::) Before worrying about throw ropes?  How about driving on questionable ice or driving on ice at all.   ATV's on 4 inches of ice or snow machines on first ice or even skimming open water?
I have to wonder about ice fishermen driving trucks on the ice only because they can carry beer and don' t have to walk??  Ice fishing can be fun and safe.  I don't understand the need to take you life in your hands and hope that some kind person will toss you a throw rope?
Dick

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:25 AM »
For the most part I agree with you Dick. I don’t mess around with ice and I’m pretty vigilant about checking ice, especially on the fringes of the season. That said, I carry a throw bag even in the heart of ice season because you never know what flukey thing can happen on the ice and well, everybody makes mistakes. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:28 AM »
??? ::) Before worrying about throw ropes?  How about driving on questionable ice or driving on ice at all.   ATV's on 4 inches of ice or snow machines on first ice or even skimming open water?
I have to wonder about ice fishermen driving trucks on the ice only because they can carry beer and don' t have to walk??  Ice fishing can be fun and safe.  I don't understand the need to take you life in your hands and hope that some kind person will toss you a throw rope?
Dick

I think it's a regional difference thing.  I.e., It depends on where you are.  Think about Drifter_016 up in NWT or folks in other places up North where they have ice roads and the trucks drive on 'em as a matter of course.  Or other places where a vehicle is needed to get the permy on the ice.  Somewhere between there and Florida you'll certainly get to places where driving on the ice is a 'never' thing!

Everybody has a different risk tolerance (risk appetite?) too, like with investing, but with your life!

I use my snowmobiles, but not before there is 6-9" of reasonable ice, and I don't venture on the deck at all if it's not 3-4."  Some folks think I'm crazy to take the sleds.  Some folks think we're all crazy for walking on water.

In my case, I take every reasonable (by my own judgment) precaution, and don't take chances.  But I carry the throw rope just in case because you can't eliminate all the risks.  Like Hottuna says, you never know and mistakes happen.  And if you have to help someone, the open water sequence of 'reach, throw, row, go' is still a good guide.

IMO
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Dick

Couldn't agree more. Your safety and the safety of those with you should be #1 priority. I generally wait until I am more than safe, i generally don't need a plank to get on the hard water. I fish for fun (sometimes for food), not for hypothermia or Lord forbid, death. 

With that said, I will job off my soap box and let you know that if you are in need of assistance, i will do all that i can to help you.

And i can drag beer like the best of them, don't need the truck for the cooler!  ;D

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2017, 02:39 PM »
I have to admit that I don't have a designed throw package. But when I'm on the ice I have a ten foot lead on my Jet Sled and in the Sled I have 50 ft. of rope attached to one of my summer float cushions .   I've never come close to falling through ice but if I do I plan to pull my Jet Sled to me and use it and the float cushion to get back on solid ice.   The rope and cushion would also be available if another fisherman falls through nearby ice.   
I hate to admit it but the primary job of the cushion is to get me up high enough on my camp chair so that my old knees let me stand up after a few hours of jigging!
The 2016/17 Northeast ice season resulted in 10 ice related snow machine deaths.  Imagine what the numbers would be if you accounted for close call ATV , Vehicle, and walking almost fatalities. 
My wife agrees that we ice fishermen aren't the brightest creatures on the planet and she seriously believe in the Darwin effect??  I love her but she doesn't eat fish or venison? 
Dick

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I have to admit that I don't have a designed throw package. But when I'm on the ice I have a ten foot lead on my Jet Sled and in the Sled I have 50 ft. of rope attached to one of my summer float cushions .  I've never come close to falling through ice but if I do I plan to pull my Jet Sled to me and use it and the float cushion to get back on solid ice.   The rope and cushion would also be available if another fisherman falls through nearby ice.   
I hate to admit it but the primary job of the cushion is to get me up high enough on my camp chair so that my old knees let me stand up after a few hours of jigging!
The 2016/17 Northeast ice season resulted in 10 ice related snow machine deaths.  Imagine what the numbers would be if you accounted for close call ATV , Vehicle, and walking almost fatalities. 
My wife agrees that we ice fishermen aren't the brightest creatures on the planet and she seriously believe in the Darwin effect??  I love her but she doesn't eat fish or venison? 
Dick

Not that you know of......

I drilled a hole in 12" of ice, walked 20 feet and went through a snow covered spring hole ......if scalloper is around he can tell you about going through some "perfectly good" ice a couple of years ago.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:25 PM »
 ???  I do agree with my wife as it relates to ice fishermen on the first 3  inches of ice and the last candle ice!  Mid season I carry my ice spikes and a heck of a super chisel.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.