Author Topic: Panoptix worth the $$$$?  (Read 28841 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix worth the $$$$?
« Reply #150 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I have no idea if this thing is worth it but it sure sounds fun. But I can just imagine me telling my wife I spent 2 grand on something to catch fish. "What in the world did you spend $2000 on? Better not be something dumb like hunting or fishing. Please tell me it's jewelry?" I feel like donkey from Shrek, married to a fire breathing dragon.

Actually...I know that there are many guys who wish they had a wife who was understanding enough to let them go ice fishing at all, even without the $2,000 fish finder. I think those who have wives that are Livescope-friendly are on the far end of the statistical Bell Curve. Count your real blessings!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:29 PM »
How successful have you been at finding bottom hugging perch? When I’m panning around, I’ve been stopping and watching for areas of the bottom that wiggle or pulse differently than the rest of the bottom around it. I’ve been able to get on top of them a few times that way, but they sure don’t stand out like crappies or roaming trout. I feel I still need to figure out how to be efficient with it. Sometimes I think I’m playing with the foward view too much, thinking about where to drill based on it. The structures and “interesting” spots on the screen usually produce fish, but I  Sometimes I think I should just drill like I use to and just enjoy fishing with down view.

That's how I found perch this year too...looked for the interesting spots of bottom that appeared to be moving. I like my PS22, but am putting it up for sale locally to see what I can get for it and might upgrade to livescope. Livescope seems like a whole other world when you start thinking about the possibility of using it to find cribs, rock piles, etc.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #152 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Lakes around me aren't more than 20' deep so I stay in forward view the entire time.....I've noticed that any perch that are worth catching are usually marked really well and you can distinguish them slithering on the bottom pretty easy. Same goes for valley. The perch schools that roam through are rarely stationery for me, it almost seems better finding a corridor through which they travel and try to wait them out rather than chase them on the ice. I am looking forward to boat season as i might be much quicker getting to them if they are 50' out in a given direction.

Im usually fishing water so deep I get 30 of cone on each side!  As for bottom hugging stuff...I had no problems picking put bullheads last night.  Also took some suggestions from one of the posts here...removed the history view.  Much better view without it.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:07 AM »
I removed also history display and it really make better view. I also tried "bottom filling" option but I am not so sure if it makes view more readable. It makes display sort of visually better but bottom hugging fish are not so easy to see. Anyway that is just my opinion.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:53 AM »
I removed also history display and it really make better view. I also tried "bottom filling" option but I am not so sure if it makes view more readable. It makes display sort of visually better but bottom hugging fish are not so easy to see. Anyway that is just my opinion.

Agreed, I like how bottom fill looks, but don't like it in practice. I run with history and trails off.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Mar 03, 2019, 01:34 AM »
Finally ordered livescope. Thanks Mboss. Your post pushed me over the edge. Is it worth it? For me it cost 1749€ ~ 1990$. I live in Finland and my work is just basic work. Last month sallory was 2606€ (netto) and I also get 600€ monthly from government because I help my 90 years old mom everyday. (Prepare food, clean etc). So overall it is expensive for me, spent over half om my last month income for that. But anyway I work only 3 days of week and have quite generous amount of freetime. Investing to hobbies is better than just buy beer 😳. Right now I am on holiday from work this month and hope that livescope arrive soon.

Does anyone know how long is operating time if I use livescope with original battery? Of course I must swap battery to bigger later?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Finally ordered livescope. Thanks Mboss. Your post pushed me over the edge. Is it worth it? For me it cost 1749€ ~ 1990$. I live in Finland and my work is just basic work. Last month sallory was 2606€ (netto) and I also get 600€ monthly from government because I help my 90 years old mom everyday. (Prepare food, clean etc). So overall it is expensive for me, spent over half om my last month income for that. But anyway I work only 3 days of week and have quite generous amount of freetime. Investing to hobbies is better than just buy beer 😳. Right now I am on holiday from work this month and hope that livescope arrive soon.

Does anyone know how long is operating time if I use livescope with original battery? Of course I must swap battery to bigger later?

Congrats, you will enjoy it, and can use it year round. I'd switch to lithium right away as far as battery. I get about 4-5 hrs with 10ah lithium at full brightness on the 93sv.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:59 PM »
I went with energized outdoors 12ah lithium, it’s an amazing reduction in weight and it’s the same size as the battery that came with the panoptix kit.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #158 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:21 PM »

Congrats, you will enjoy it, and can use it year round. I'd switch to lithium right away as far as battery. I get about 4-5 hrs with 10ah lithium at full brightness on the 93sv.

Im using the stock 12ah and have run a 93cv plus all day on it no issues.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Im using the stock 12ah and have run a 93cv plus all day on it no issues.

With livescope box? I think there is a difference between just panoptix and livescope energy required

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #160 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:36 PM »
With livescope box? I think there is a difference between just panoptix and livescope energy required

Without.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #161 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:47 PM »
93sv+ Livescope draw is about 1.75a @ 70% screen brightness, 2a @ 100% brightness.

Offline Ville1303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:01 AM »
First test today with livescope. What is highest superlative in english? Stupendeous? Anyway my english is not good enough to describe.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:11 AM »
First test today with livescope. What is highest superlative in english? Stupendeous? Anyway my english is not good enough to describe.

Smokin.....
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #164 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:44 PM »

Right.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #165 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Got to fish the Livescope today.........

MIND BLOWN!
Just... Wow.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Alright boys I have a garmin echomap 73c ice bundle, what am I needing to spend to get livescope ? This unit will used on the boat as well

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #167 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:26 PM »
If you price around $1400, maybe a little less. Depending on where you buy it from, some out of state venders don't charge tax, worth working into the equation.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Time to jam some over time,

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #169 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Alright boys I have a garmin echomap 73c ice bundle, what am I needing to spend to get livescope ? This unit will used on the boat as well

Join the Garmin Ice Fishing facebook page.  There's a few guys on there selling for much better than retail.  Look for Brig Hennesey. 

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I dont use any social media

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #171 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:24 PM »
I dont use any social media

google Hennessey Outdoor Electronics, give him a call. 

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Reinert, check your PM's

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #173 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:38 AM »

Make sure your unit is a "plus" unit. If not, it may not work with livescope.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #174 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Well, Garmin keeps pushing pack the livescope units.  The guy I ordered from was fed up with Garmin, and cancelled over 100 livescope orders.  I don't blame him.

Scheels has a small number of livescope units on hand at the moment, full retail price of $1499. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #175 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Well, Garmin keeps pushing pack the livescope units.  The guy I ordered from was fed up with Garmin, and cancelled over 100 livescope orders.  I don't blame him.

Scheels has a small number of livescope units on hand at the moment, full retail price of $1499.

I'm not sure they properly anticipated the high demand for the livescope over the winter.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #176 on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:18 PM »
Sounded to me like a lot of guys that got Panoptix for ice fishing this winter figured out after the purchase, that they should have gotten the Livescope to begin with.  I bet there will be a lot of Panoptix transducers for sale cheap before next winter as people make the switch...

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:51 PM »
All you panoptix experts have any tips about where to buy? 

I own an echomap CHIRP 95sv, and I like the fish finder just fine, it's already a million times better than anything else I've owned.  Trouble is my main goal is making bathymetry maps, and the tight grid I have to use in mapping is making it impractical for a lot of my target lakes.  I want to buy a PS30, but the cheapest I saw was a Cabelas' clearance for $1500CAD, still 50% more than I paid for the unit itself. 

Anyone have advice about where one can be had used, or clearance, or home-made, or something?!?

(I'll give Hennessey Outdoor Electronics a try right now...)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #178 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Sounded to me like a lot of guys that got Panoptix for ice fishing this winter figured out after the purchase, that they should have gotten the Livescope to begin with.  I bet there will be a lot of Panoptix transducers for sale cheap before next winter as people make the switch...

I disagree.  For my fishing Id gain nothing in upgrading, other than more components and weight.  Ive also heard complaints about livescope and deep water...

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:38 AM »
I’m happy with the Echomap Chirp and PS22-TR (for now). But, not being able to zoom in to a desired depth has been a problem. Can you zoom to a desired depth with the Echomap Plus units with Panoptix? LiveScope?

Just an FYI…..The new Echomap Ultra units will not require the black box for LiveScope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.