Author Topic: Lac La Ronge  (Read 2699 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lac La Ronge
« on: Feb 01, 2020, 10:19 PM »
Does anybody know if there is bad slush up there this year?!
Thanks.....

Offline brownfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lac La Ronge
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:13 AM »
There is bad slush on many of the smaller lakes around LA. LLR isn't terrible itself, but it has slush in the usual places. But once you drill a hole anywhere on the main lake or HB there will be a few inches of slush in a matter of an hour or two.

Offline skcazador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:18 AM »
New to La Ronge, is the open lake area better than around the islands? targeting lakers & walleye.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.  -  Aristotle

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:51 PM »
I was also curious for some tips for ice fishing la ronge.  I am hoping to make the trek into hunter bay this winter and camp for  3-4 days in the winter tent.  Is it worth the trek into hunter bay, i have been told that is the place to go for lakers in the summer, and also i believe walleye fishing can be pretty good in pickeral bay?  Given that the water will be cold everywhere, should i still expect to see a higher concentration of lakers in hunter bay due to the structure etc in the area?  Or will they be more dispersed throughout the lake?  I think the trip sounds like a cool adventure and will probably make the trek in their regardless, but curious to learn anything i can and any tips appreciated!

I have never fished la ronge summer or winter yet, and hunter bay has been on my bucket list.  I am curious when the lake typically freezes over safe enough for travel to hunter bay.  We would likely travel via snowmobile, but i am curious when one might roughly expect it to be safe to travel via snowmobile and also via truck.  Perhaps by xmas?  My understanding is that often a ice road gets plowed into hunter bay, i believe for gear haul to the outfitters in the bay... Is the road ever "maintained" after initial trail being broken?  Or is it more of a one and done, and then depending on snowfall after its been developed that determines how long it is passable via truck?

I know the route to get to hunter bay in the summer involves going through the islands on the big lake, for protection from the wind and waves on the open water.  In the winter is this still the preferred route of travel?  Or do people take a more direct route to hunter bay without the worry of waves.  I have a GPS path from a family friend for the boat route into hunter bay, and my fallback was to possibly use that to guide me.

Is there usually a snowmobile trail, that is perhaps marked with poles/flags?  I have seen that on some lakes before for well travelled routes.  My main concern is getting caught in a whiteout and having trouble navigating.  Once i have established my way in with the GPS running, getting out should be doable even in less than optimal visibility.  But it would be nice to have something to follow, either developed or marked snowmobile trail, or plowed truck trail.  Again my fallback could be my GPS route for boat travel.

Is there known areas of thin ice to watch out for that typically are similar most years?  Perhaps thin ice related to current in amongst the islands or anything in particular to watch out for?

I believe at least one outfitter operates in hunter bay in the winter... Does anyone know which ones might be expected to be there?  I am curious if we might be able to make arrangements to perhaps buy fuel or even a cooked meal one night.  Not a necessity but could be handy!

Safe to assume the standard laker lures work well out their in the winter?  White tube jigs and bionic bucktails have been my most successful lures jigging for lakers, i have a few buzz bombs but havent really figured them out yet.  Any tips for areas, structures or depth one might want to target in hunter bay?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments/help!  Tight lines everyone!

Offline skcazador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:17 PM »
I'm no authority, just learning myself.
Check out these guys on youtube…

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.  -  Aristotle

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:05 PM »
I read that someone died on lac la ronge last weekend, went through the ice on a snowmobile.  That is very unfortunate and sad to hear.  Obviously the lake is big and there are lots of different areas and i am sure they all freeze at different rates etc.  But i am thinking my hope of sledding into hunter bay over xmas may not be realistic given the weather we have had this winter so far...

So im curious if anyone might be able to offer an opinion on the best lakes in the area for lake trout action while ice fishing?

Im thinking between nemeiben, mackay, dickens or possibly wadin bay area on la ronge (or any other options?).  Does anyone have any advice on which would be most likely to encounter some decent lake trout action?  I have fished dickens and read that was one of the more reliable options for the smaller lakes in the open water.  The time i fished it in the spring we had pretty good action. 

Maybe bartlett lake could be pretty good, i have had my eyes on canoeing into their for a number of years now thinking the lack of road access would likely make for better fishing.  Same with the lakes on the McLennan Lake canoe loop.  I have had great action on minuhik for lakers, didn't really try davis, but i think it can be reasonably active too.

Historically me and my buddies have done many trips to lac la plonge, but we never seem to get more than a couple lakers out there in the winter, even over multiple days and proactively jumping around different locations on the lake.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.