Author Topic: Lures  (Read 1550 times)

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
Lures
« on: Oct 22, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I've been a hit and miss hard water fishermen, now i live within a short walk from a nice lake, I'd love to fish alot more but im married with 4 boys so $$ is tight where can i get cheaper jigs.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Lures
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:17 AM »
I've been a hit and miss hard water fishermen, now i live within a short walk from a nice lake, I'd love to fish alot more but im married with 4 boys so $$ is tight where can i get cheaper jigs.

Walmart-cast champ spoon set for perch (5 acme knockoff spoons for $6.99)

Amazon- souigaylang spoons walleye (30 spoons $22)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I will say, you've probably got some already in your regular tackle box.  I started with the smallest ones.  1/16th oz standard round head jigs.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I will say, you've probably got some already in your regular tackle box.  I started with the smallest ones.  1/16th oz standard round head jigs.
Spoons, jigs, rubber bait from the tackle box make up a portion of my winter tackle box now.   

On the cheap side, hooks and large split shots, some of mommas cotton sewing thread, hair from the cat, dog, and horse are a starter, as are feathers from the neighbors parrot.  laugh but it works.

If all else fails, get all of your fishing buddies to feel sorry for you as so they will give up their used baits.
Thread killer

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:52 PM »
Like the folks have said you have some of what you need in your open water tackle box. Sorry I didn't pay attention to where your location was before I answered. So depending on where you live in the ice belt will determine what' kind of selection you will find at your Walmart. If you don't have jigs you could always use a hook sinker and a bobber
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2017, 02:11 PM »
I like Jammin jigs. Reasonably priced. Ya might have ta repaint a few after couple of years use.

http://jamminjigs.com/

"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Probably don't have a lot of time with 4 boys, but sometimes you can find fishing tackle at garage sales.

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Probably don't have a lot of time with 4 boys, but sometimes you can find fishing tackle at garage sales.

my oldest is 16 and the youngest is 9, the 9year old is my summer fishing partner but has not gotten in to the hard water yet as he has ants in his pants,

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Spoons, jigs, rubber bait from the tackle box make up a portion of my winter tackle box now.   

On the cheap side, hooks and large split shots, some of mommas cotton sewing thread, hair from the cat, dog, and horse are a starter, as are feathers from the neighbors parrot.  laugh but it works.

If all else fails, get all of your fishing buddies to feel sorry for you as so they will give up their used baits.

i never thought of tieing my own its been years since i have done it but i do have access to feathers from a gray amazon and green wing macaw and i have two great Pyrenees  that shed 2 full dogs every morning... LMAO

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Define “cheaper”. Also, what type of jigs are you looking for?

A bare hook and some split shot is about as cheap as you can get.

If you aren’t set up to tie your own, it can be a rather expensive start up (even for cheap stuff) that once you buy everything you could just have just bought the jigs you wanted in the first place. However, if you already have some tying supplies (or have a buddy that does), I like to use Diachii size 14 jig hooks with an appropriately sized tungsten bead and some lead wire. You can get a size 14 fly roughly to the same weight as a 3mm tungsten without the fly getting excessively bulky. I use them for panfish (obviously).

Sportsmendirect also has some cheap jigs.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:42 PM »
just standard jig heads as im just target panfish i never thought of using summer hooks, when i fish during the summer i just use hooks and split shot.. thanks for the ideas. i thought there might be a jig company that dose not charge $2 a jig walmart charges some what cheaper.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Not sure what your local Walmart carries as far jigs and spoons but you can order on line and ship to store to cut down on shipping ...try Sportsmans Guide ...sign up for Emails they tend to have shipping codes ...also Dicks sporting goods offers free shipping no minimum from time to time also ...sign up for Emails to get notified .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:26 PM »
wish.com the stuff is shipped directly from China. I have had good luck with their stuff, but onetime a package of 100 steel leaders took 6 weeks, but for 3 bucks...
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:51 PM »
just standard jig heads as im just target panfish i never thought of using summer hooks, when i fish during the summer i just use hooks and split shot.. thanks for the ideas. i thought there might be a jig company that dose not charge $2 a jig walmart charges some what cheaper.

If you are after panfish,

Some Walmarts will have a box of beaver damn tungsten jigs for $1.50. The tungsten jigs are nice for panfish, and the hooks aren't bad. The paint scheme on them isn't anything great. I got a few and fish them.

I know you can get a card of mooska HT lures (lead) of eBay really cheap. However, the fall rate of lead vs tungsten after you've fished with tungsten will drive a guy nuts.

One thing that I do to keep the cost down is I will get a package of very small collarless lead head jigs. Then I will buy a jar of berkley plastics. You have about 30-50 panfish lures really cheap and the plastics work without bait.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:09 PM »
If you are after panfish,
One thing that I do to keep the cost down is I will get a package of very small collarless lead head jigs. Then I will buy a jar of berkley plastics. You have about 30-50 panfish lures really cheap and the plastics work without bait.

Plain lead head jigs can sometimes be the key/secret ..just enough flash like a fish scale to seal the deal ...tipped with live bait or plastic .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Yep.

I was using some of those rat finckie and though this is outrageously priced.

So I picked up the small lead heads and a jar of berkley fish fry.....for $6-$7 I got like 25 lead heads and about 50 plastic bodies.......however a guy needs to get them early. Everyone caught on and the small lead heads and berkley fish fry jars go fast.

Beats paying a couple buck for 2-3 jigs.

If the op wants some plastics, I make my own now and can send you a urine jar from the hospital full of panfish plastics I made if you PM me you address.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:10 AM »
man a free urine jar thats pretty inviting offer. lol  really though nice of you to offer up to him. :thumbsup:

OP i would have to say go with old tried n true baits.  you dont need a bunch just couple in a couple categories(depending on your fishing).  the jig head and plastic is a great cheap way to go. very versitile in every way too.  plus most time secent already there!

if your really on the cheap or like to play like i do, make your own stuff.
  this was made from wifes nail polish on hook shank and a glob of seal all. yeah, the cheap stuff for patching tanks n stuff. lol

its not the quality of epoxy but its cheap and very forgiving. interesting what you can do with it as it sets up.

lots of ideas out there for diy lures of all types.  gives you something to eas the waiting pains.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:27 AM »
https://www.wish.com/c/58d234dfeb908654eb3ccae7    12 for a buck Can't go wrong
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Jamming jigs 79 cents each. 15.00 for 25 bulk same color. A lot of cheap packages offered. More important they catch fish.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Best advice I can give for a first time ice fishing pan fish  jigging angler ...scale down your line ...2-3 lbs line is plenty add a good swivel 18"-24" up the line/leader to prevent lure spin( :nono: very bad :nono:). A good spring bobber can save the day as does a dead stick rod ...plain ball head jig tip with a tail hooked minnow is both a great enticer/attractor and all around fish catcher..it'll bring them in and you can seal the deal with your jigging presentation .

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:47 AM »
For a small investment start making your own with the boys.
Go here and start reading. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=129.0

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2017, 05:38 PM »
For a small investment start making your own with the boys.
Go here and start reading. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=129.0

i was thinking about it, it seems easy enough and then i can custom paint jobs and hell might even make a few bucks selling them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.