The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lithium auger  (Read 2071 times)

Offline bangbang

• IceShanty Rookie
Lithium auger
« on: Oct 24, 2020, 06:12 PM »
Looking into getting a lithium auger for this year.  Any recommendations?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Lithium auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2020, 06:15 PM »
If i was in the market i would be looking at the strikemaster 24v auger.light weight,cut a ton of holes and priced right.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the ION at my local tackle shop two seasons ago. Was the best thing I did. I waffled for years before getting one, did the drill thing, went back to gas, etc. Once I decided to get one, for me it was about getting any major brand locally. I compared it with the strike king which was also in stock and I slightly preferred the ION.

There are a bunch of pros and cons between brands but some youtube videos and other posters here can sort that for you. The best recommendation I can give you is to GET ONE :-p :tipup:
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2020, 12:23 PM »
I went with a Milwaukee 18v impact driver and Strikemaster LightFlite auger blade.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Same Milwaukee M18 Fuel and a K-Drill. Love at first bite ( of ice ).
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2020, 04:29 PM »
i don't think you'd want to try an impact on the ice.  hopefully you meant hammer drill?

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Yep, didn’t pickup on that.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:14 AM »
i don't think you'd want to try an impact on the ice.  hopefully you meant hammer drill?

Yes, hammer drill. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Yes, hammer drill.

I trust you're not using the "hammer" mode though...correct? I hope you're using "drill".
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:46 AM »
I trust you're not using the "hammer" mode though...correct? I hope you're using "drill".

And speed one (1)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:27 AM »
And speed one (1)

I don't know.  This is all brand new to me.   ???  But thanks for the advice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:32 AM »

Doesn't hurt to ask questions on this site..you will get the answer you need . I for one have made just about all the missteps you can with the cordless drill and auger game ..I just dont want any member making any missteps if it can be prevented . PM me if that makes it more comfortable for you . Good luck with your set up  :thumbsup: :clap:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2020, 05:59 PM »
As others have indicated, the hammer drill is for the torque rating, not the hammer function. You want it in Drill and 1. I’ve run the K-Drill with a Makita 18v for 3 seasons now, it’s a game changer.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:06 PM »
As others have indicated, the hammer drill is for the torque rating, not the hammer function. You want it in Drill and 1.

While I sincerely appreciate the advice, this makes it even more confusing to me.  I see the speed switch for 1 and 2, like I have on my conventional screw gun, but are you saying there's another switch that enables the "drill" function rather than the "hammer drill"?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:19 PM »
While I sincerely appreciate the advice, this makes it even more confusing to me.  I see the speed switch for 1 and 2, like I have on my conventional screw gun, but are you saying there's another switch that enables the "drill" function rather than the "hammer drill"?

Lets see what drill you have as a drill first ..on the side of the drill you should have a placard..should say 2803-20 or 2804-20...picture would be nice  if you could provide.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I'm happy folks are learning more about the drill situation, but TBH this thread is a great showcase of why the lithium auger is my preferred tool. I ran a drill for 3 seasons but as you can see there are always things to check... The batteries are small and need to be in a pouch with hand warmers for max life, the drill needs to be on the right setting, the adapter needs to be a certain way, the drill needs the proper specs, etc.

Lithium. Augers.

Battery goes in, switch makes it go.

Other than strikemaster and ion are there any other choices? Do you have a good local tackle shop with inventory near you?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:58 AM »
Lets see what drill you have as a drill first ..on the side of the drill you should have a placard..should say 2803-20 or 2804-20...picture would be nice  if you could provide.

It's the Milwaukee 2804-22 M18 FUEL 18V 1/2" Hammer Drill.

Thanks.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2020, 08:24 AM »
It's the Milwaukee 2804-22 M18 FUEL 18V 1/2" Hammer Drill.

Thanks.

Example of Milwaukee Drill Mode selected ...Note the speed is on 2 ( you will want speed one for ice auger)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:15 AM »
  Example of Milwaukee Drill Mode selected ...Note the speed is on 2 ( you will want speed one for ice auger)

I have these (in addition to 2-14 torque settings).

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:35 AM »
I have these (in addition to 2-14 torque settings).

Those are for screw mode only ... after a certain torque setting is reached ..ie deck screws so they are flush ..you will not need this for your ice set up.

The other icon is the hammer drill mode ..do not use this ..it'll pound the auger drill unit ruining the blades and quite possibly the auger itself ..then you will have a paper weight. Most folks will move the indicator from time to time  when installing the auger drill unit so it is best to check it often.

They way it is set up in your picture is what you need for your Cordless drill and auger unit ...may want to mark/highlight that setting in some way so as not to forget if you think it could be a problem.

also you may to consider a "drill stop disc/mechanism "of some sort...and adding Loctite to your assembly is another good idea too.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2020, 10:02 AM »
They way it is set up in your picture is what you need for your Cordless drill and auger unit ...may want to mark/highlight that setting in some way so as not to forget if you think it could be a problem.

Something like this may be

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2020, 10:18 AM »
The other icon is the hammer drill mode ..do not use this ..it'll pound the auger drill unit ruining the blades and quite possibly the auger itself ..then you will have a paper weight. Most folks will move the indicator from time to time  when installing the auger drill unit so it is best to check it often.

also you may to consider a "drill stop disc/mechanism "of some sort...and adding Loctite to your assembly is another good idea too.

Great advice!  Thanks again!!

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Used to have a gas Jiffy for years. Been using a friends Ion for the past 5 seasons but never pulled the trigger to get one. Friend of a friend was selling a new one so last year I pulled the trigger. So much better that the gas units. Never had a issue with the Ion's. Light weight and buried the gearbox to the ice without any problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.