Author Topic: Poachers Beware  (Read 1303 times)

Duramax

Poachers Beware
« on: Mar 26, 2005, 10:25 AM »
We need some of these in Manitoba... I would generously donate towards this.

Poachers' nemesis

Hunter the dog sniffs out their illegal booty
By CP 

FORT FRANCES, Ont. -- He's yellow, furry and friendly -- most of the time. But if you're trying to smuggle illegal fish or game past his wet nose, Hunter is your worst nightmare. The dog and handler, Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer Mike Buckner, are typically stationed in Pembroke, Ont. But for the next week or so, the duo will be tracking down poachers in northwestern Ontario.

"We've have been getting complaints this year of people taking over their limit," ministry enforcement officer Mark Gadowski said as he, the dog and handler prepared to depart in the ministry's ski-equipped Turbo Beaver for an all-day tour of some remote lakes in the region.

"These people aren't anglers, they're poachers," he said.

A WIDE AREA

The team will be covering an area from Lake of the Woods to Lac La Croix and points north.

Hunter, a two-year-old Labrador/golden retriever cross, has been working for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources since last July.

Gadowski said people can be quite ingenious when it comes to hiding their ill-gotten booty from the prying eyes of conservation officers. This is particularly a problem in the winter, when people tend to fillet their catch right on the ice and then stash it in snowbanks, under logs and even in their clothing.

And because of the cold weather, there is no tell-tale fishy smell to give them away -- at least not to human noses. But even if the offenders do manage to hide the evidence, Hunter will find it. The dog's keen nose can sniff out walleye, lake trout, brook trout, bass, bear, moose, deer, elk and gunpowder.

Although Hunter is even capable of bringing down a fleeing suspect, that hasn't yet been necessary. Officials primarily depend on the animal to work as a deterrent. The strategy appears to be a good one, if a case last week is any indication.

"We stopped these two tourists, examined their catch, and asked them if they had any other fish to declare," Gadowski recalled.

At first, the anglers denied having anything else, but when the officials brought out the dog, they suddenly remembered they had a few more fillets.

The anglers were fined $200 for having two walleye over their limit.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
Re: Poachers Beware
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Great story. Manitoba needs to wake up and train a dog or two. Thanks Duramax for the story.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2005, 11:10 AM »
That is a great idea. I still believe they need to be out there more. I have fished pretty hard this winter and haven't seen one CO yet this year. I am sure they need more man power but even with the few they have if they were on sites like this one they could get a great heads up of problem areas and key in on those.
Places like lockport could always use and under cover set up.
The whole poaching issue is a huge problem and alot of this starts at home. Teach em well and help them to teach others too.
Tim

Rock Bottom

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2005, 12:04 PM »
They were out here on lake dauphin for a couple weeks last year, people were filleting fish and burying them off to the side they had the dog out sniffing in vehicles and along all foot prints they caught lots of people with oversized walleye this is a great method and the dog costs less then an officer. I think it is an absolutely great thing...Rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.