Author Topic: Twin beaches tomorrow  (Read 1782 times)

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Twin beaches tomorrow
« on: Mar 23, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Heading to Twin tomorrow AM to give the perch anouther licking! Weather not to be too nice but I should be able to put a morning in. Bite has been hot here about 500 yards off shore. Nice sized ones too 8-11 inchers. This is nice as in the past I have found perch to be on the small size over at Twin. Will report... Firefighter
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Re: Twin beaches tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Hey FF...r u walking out ? Maybe we can hook up tomorrow ?
I haven't been to Twin......so I'll need directions and so on  8)  :tipup:

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Hi there blue, I should be at Twin tomorrow around 07:30, weather permitting of course. Calling for a bit of the white stuff over night. If the roads are not a mess I'll be out there for sure as I will be solo also. To get out there is quite simple. Take #6 to the Twin beaches turn off- it will be a left off of #6. Can't miss it as it's marked and only a few miles north of Lake Francis.  Drive west about two miles till ya get to the lake. Here you will turn left again going south on the cottage lakeshore ridge drive. After about a mile there will be a public access point with change rooms. The park is called Zendhel park or something like that. Anyway at this spot there's a billboard with the guys picture on it. He's holding a shotgun as I would imagine he was a duck hunter that shot the marshes in the area years ago. You can park here. My vehicle will be a Ford Explorer, dark green. And yes I will be walking out as it's only approx. 500 yards out. Thats the nice thing about this spot, ya don't need a sled! My pals have been out twice this week with great results. Sadly work got in the way of fun as I finished this morn. Off now for 4 days. Later...Firefighter   

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Thanks for the info Firefighter...I might be heading that way on Saturday.  The only time I have been to Twin was last winter and we just drove straight onto the lake (last winter).  I've been disappointed as I've heard sleds only this winter.

Another hint for the turn off #6 is there is a gas station on the west side of the highway just before the turnoff.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Thriller, its only a 15 min. walk to about 10 feet of water. As I said , only 500 yds. Be sure to move about should you not get any action in a few mins. We found that 20 feet could be the difference between constant action and nothing at all. Also an auger extension is standard equipment on this lake at this point in the season. Firefighter

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:39 AM »
Firefighter,

After I posted here yesterday, I started getting the chills and went to bed early. I guess the sweat I put on in the morning while fishing did me in  :sick:
I woke up this morning with a wicked sore throat.

I contemplated going (truck is still packed from yesterday) but checked out the online  morning road conditions. Here there are:
Hwy 6
(From Highway 101 to Highway 67)  Ice Covered Slippery, Ground drifting 03-24
05:48
Hwy 6
(From Highway 67 to Highway 248)  Ice Covered Slippery 03-24
06:12
Hwy 6
(From Highway 248 to St. Laurent)  Ice Covered Slippery 03-24
06:12

With conditions like that, I decided to stay home and recuperate.......I've got to work all weekend and I don't want to miss out on Monday's Delta outing with the IS crew  :D

The RED is now offficially dead for me.....until next season. :'(

I hope some of the IS members join me during the Master Angler Walleye run next Dec ..........on second thought.......they'll have to wait until Feb.........because I'm entering the 2006 IS Tourney  :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:

Hope we can try this Twin Beach trip again next season :tipup:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:27 PM »
BI I have booked holidays during the second week of december. Count me in buddy!!!
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:07 PM »
BI.. understand your reluctance to travel this AM. Was going to scub the mission myself this morn. but guess I have a bit of boyish enthusiasm left in me! Suprisingly Hwy. # 6 was great after Gross Isle as I managed 100kph.  101 was a bit hairy as I live in Birds Hill and had to do the whole north chunk. Got out to Twin a bit later, around 08:00. Raw NW wind but fished till 13:00 with great results. Finished with 56 jumbo perch (9-11 inchers) and put about as many back. Glad I only caught 7 tullibee and no maria as I don't target these species. Lost a nice eater walleye, spit the hook as I tried to slide him out. Flopped head first back into the hole. Last I saw was the white spot on his tail as he shot back to the depths! Oh well hope he lives long and prospers! Anyway, it was quite a job filleting 56 perch with my 13 month old future fishing partner underfoot but I managed. Shall hook up some other day...Firefighter.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Thanks for the info firefighter...unfortun ately, plans have been altered, so I won't be getting out to Twin again this season.  I'll try to keep your directions in mind for next season if/when the driving on isn't possible...then again, I'll have a nasty 4wd next winter so I'll be able to get a few more places that my current 2wd won't.

Current plan is errands tomorrow morning followed by Fort Whyte in the afternoon and Delta on Monday.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2005, 10:22 PM »
FF
I'm glad you had a successful day at Twin Beaches........next year...for sure.  :)
I usually don't pass up on ice fishing outings unless I have to work  ;D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.